Why Does M. Refuse to Revive TAKE A BOW

Phineaspoe

During the interview with Kurt Loder she said she wrote the song about an "actor." What other famous actors had she been in a relationship with at that point? I think only Sean.

I think she meant that she envisioned a story about an actor for the music video while writing the song.

I do love the TAB video though, one of my favorites.

Take-A-Bow-madonna-13006768-320-240.gif

That just got out of bed hair is so sexy on her.

I think she meant that she envisioned a story about an actor for the music video while writing the song.

No, because she said she wrote about an actor, and they chose matador theme to more easily explain what his profession was. It was written either about Sean or Warren.

I don't think we'll ever hear Cherish or True Blue live again because of this too.

I don't blame her. I've always felt like lots of Erotica and bits of Bedtime Stories were about Sean. (and her Mother)

I never thought she would perform Live To Tell ever again and she did, so anything is possible.

Take a Bow is a Masterpiece. Not a Disasterpiece like Masterpiece. I enjoy Disasterpiece though. But it is not a Masterpiece like Take a Bow is.

Disasterpiece (ha) is indeed enjoyable, but a bit of a filler, particularly live - that section was screaming for two back-to-back classics (OYH and whatever else) that everyone could wave their hands and sing along to.

I never thought she would perform Live To Tell ever again and she did, so anything is possible.

My take is that she might be open to the idea of reviving TAB if someone in her environment presented a solid reinterpretation of it. In that sense, it would be interesting to know how Live to Tell came to be in the CT.

True. Anything is always possible with M. It may not make sense all the time, but its possible.

My bad. I'm not the brightest in the bunch, as you can tell.

you're plenty bright! :wink:

Take A Bow is just...luscious. Sweeping and cinematic. Romantic yet melancholic.

The strength of song is in the orchestration. Listen to the instrumental. It alone takes you on the journey.

Classic. Madonna Classic.

Disasterpiece (ha) is indeed enjoyable, but a bit of a filler, particularly live - that section was screaming for two back-to-back classics (OYH and whatever else) that everyone could wave their hands and sing along to.

My take is that she might be open to the idea of reviving TAB if someone in her environment presented a solid reinterpretation of it. In that sense, it would be interesting to know how Live to Tell came to be in the CT.

I think after 88 shows, her speech now qualifies as a classic, right?

I'm sure she's saving TAB, C, and TB for her 4 hour farewell concert extravaganza. As Niki predicted on the gondola in ToD. "Motherfuckin' World Tour 2025"...

During the interview with Kurt Loder she said she wrote the song about an "actor." What other famous actors had she been in a relationship with at that point? I think only Sean.

I've heard that. I am more inclined to believe it is about Sean. I sometimes go by how I'm feeling when listening to a song to know what it's about.

Guest bluejean

I think it's just because it's never fitted in anywhere or there's always been something else chosen in preference. Ballads are widely ignored by her because you can only put so many ballads in one show without it dragging the show down. I also remember reading a rumour she didn't what to perform that or TPOG in Reinvention because the goodbye reference made it feel like a "farewell" tour. I doubt she hates it and I'm sure she'll include it at some point.

I do like this song but I would actually prefer she do 'I'll Remember' first. It's more her.

Guest bluejean

I've heard that. I am more inclined to believe it is about Sean. I sometimes go by how I'm feeling when listening to a song to know what it's about.

I don't think so, I think most of the songs are about Warren. 'Words' seem very much about Warren, the whole charming man character that everyone warns is a player. Warren was known to be a womaniser long before the Madonna days. (Carly Simon wrote 'You're So Vain' about him reportedly.) 'Thief of Hearts' could be about Sean's new woman. But then again, I think some songs could be about more than one person or not about anyone at all, just a made up story. Her lyrics don't have to be literal.

Guest bluejean

an if she performs it, does that mean we will get ANOTHER spanish section on tour?

It's inevitable we will get another spanish section, although she'll opt for La Isla Bonita and Spanish Lesson :lol:

And btw Take a Bow does not sound Spanish at all, it is rnb. I'm guessing you meant because of the video?

Go to youtube and listen to the Density54 Vocalista mix of TAB. It's pumped up and would easily fit into her current tour format.

I don't think so, I think most of the songs are about Warren. 'Words' seem very much about Warren, the whole charming man character that everyone warns is a player. Warren was known to be a womaniser long before the Madonna days. (Carly Simon wrote 'You're So Vain' about him reportedly.) 'Thief of Hearts' could be about Sean's new woman. But then again, I think some songs could be about more than one person or not about anyone at all, just a made up story. Her lyrics don't have to be literal.

For me, I don't think all the relationship songs on Erotica arn't about a specific person, but just men in general. They were a collection of words and thoughts she had collected during her downtime of being "somewhat" single. Songs about what she looks for in a men, and what doesn't what. Kind of like an early incarnation of Bedtime Stories.

It's inevitable we will get another spanish section, although she'll opt for La Isla Bonita and Spanish Lesson :lol:

And btw Take a Bow does not sound Spanish at all, it is rnb. I'm guessing you meant because of the video?

Take a Bow has an undertone of Tejano/ Carnival Music from Mexico and the US southwest, its kinda got a Selena vibe to it. At least that's what it faintly reminds me of.

Take a Bow has an undertone of Tejano/ Carnival Music from Mexico and the US southwest, its kinda got a Selena vibe to it. At least that's what it faintly reminds me of.

:lol: That's what it reminds me of. It's very much a ballad of that time.

You could be right but the reason I think Take A Bow would be about Sean is because I never thought Madonna was in love with Warren and I think Madonna turned the tables on him in the player department. I think she respected him and enjoyed his attention which makes me believe Something To Remember was about Warren. More thoughtful and contemplative and kinda sad that the relationship just couldn't really happen. I understand that they could be about anyone or no one but I always feel Madonna has something to say in her songs and I always believe it is from life experiences.

Love her voice on it, love love the "chinese" strings, HATE the dated RnB production. I wish there would be a string only version with her vocals (a la I want you orchestral). The "chinese" melody on strings is what she wrote first inspired by "Farewell my concubine".

Guest bluejean

You could be right but the reason I think Take A Bow would be about Sean is because I never thought Madonna was in love with Warren and I think Madonna turned the tables on him in the player department.

It makes sense that 'Take a Bow' could be about Sean. However I seem to recall Madonna stating in an interview that 'Take a Bow' was about her mother but that she had converted it into a love song to make it easier to relate to for the general public. I may be thinking of another song but I'm pretty sure it was that one. I think she said that was the case for many of her songs. Sorry I don't have the exact quote but it was in a magazine interview in 94 or 95.

I think she respected him and enjoyed his attention which makes me believe Something To Remember was about Warren. More thoughtful and contemplative and kinda sad that the relationship just couldn't really happen.

'Something To Remember' is about Christopher Flynn and was written/recorded while she was with Warren, not after.

I understand that they could be about anyone or no one but I always feel Madonna has something to say in her songs and I always believe it is from life experiences.

So how do you explain Girl Gone Wild then :lol:

Just because something isn't literally what happened or written specifically about someone real it doesn't mean it isn't inspired by real life experiences. It's no different to a book written with made up characters, every idea stems from real life. There could be times where songs are about more than one person too. ('In This Life' is for example as she stated that during 'The Girlie Show') We know Madonna keeps a journal and jots down ideas all the time, she could quite easily take lyrics from different time periods and string them into one song.

^ I recall what Vocalism pointed out; the interview and the song being about an "actor." I remember vaguely about the reference to her mother. I don't hear the connection in the song.

I thought about when Something to Remember was released on the album I'm Breathless and thought the same thing but I always assumed their relationship was basically over by the time the tour started. It would be a beautiful song for Christopher Flynn. I always think of Christopher Flynn when I hear I'll Remember.

Girl Gone Wild explains itself. No sentiment, no heartbreak. Girl Gone Wild is pure rebellion and freedom that one would feel after being held back for awhile. It's a release.

I agree with you about songs stemming from real life experiences and about them being about more than one experience or one person.

Edited by Larkspur

an if she performs it, does that mean we will get ANOTHER spanish section on tour?

TAB sounds more Japanese than Spanish, imo :chuckle:

I wouldn't mind if she doesn't perform it ever tbh... Not singing TPOGB and TUTBMP eventually, that would be unforgivable!

During a Greek BS interview she considered TAB one of the best thing she'd ever written & said that

the chorus melody is what came 2 her 1st & she took that 2 Babyface.

When she said it was about an actor, I'm pretty sure she didn't mean an actual person but rather

a story she made up in her head, just like LTTWM is based on the interior monologue she made up

of a sad stripper she saw perform.

TAB is not nearly as difficult to sing a some Evita songs, vocal quality is hardly an issue 2 her :lol:

Guest bluejean

When she said it was about an actor, I'm pretty sure she didn't mean an actual person but rather

a story she made up in her head, just like LTTWM is based on the interior monologue she made up

of a sad stripper she saw perform.

Yeah well, that makes sense. I mean the whole song to me is based around that Shakespeare thing:

All the world's a stage,

And all the men and women merely players:

They have their exits and their entrances;

And one man in his time plays many parts

etc etc.

I think it's interesting that people assume things have to be entirely autobiographical with Madonna's song lyrics. It could just as well be completely made up, that doesn't mean it isn't heartfelt and meaningful. It's no different to an author writing a fictional story but taking inspiration from real life. And yes LTTWM is a good example of how 'Take a Bow' may have originated.

Guest bluejean

^ I recall what Vocalism pointed out; the interview and the song being about an "actor." I remember vaguely about the reference to her mother. I don't hear the connection in the song.

Me neither really. But I swear she did say it. I remember thinking it didn't make sense at the time especially with lines like "you took my love for granted why of why."

Perhaps the song started out as a song about her mother when she 1st wrote the melody, then she changed the lyrics to a love story about an actor later on. I mean who knows how the song has evolved from its original idea. Hearing demos like 'Infinity' or 'Beat Goes On' really shows us how she develops songs and makes alot of changes to them in some cases.

BECAUSE OF THIS....

[media=]

[/media]

I always loved this performance.

I think the reason why many people think it's not so great is because

a) she was very nervous, as she always is when doing award show performances

b) this was pre-vocal training - a song like this was hard to pull off with her untrained voice

That being said, she was able to give one of the best performances of her entire career with Sooner or Later at the Oscars, so maybe my theory is no good :lol:

However, I'd love to see this song featured on her "Farewell" tour, if she ever has one. My God, can you imagine?? I'd be crying my eyes out.

Forget all this talk about take a bow ( I agree with the good folks who think it a snooze fest). It is criminal of Madonna to continue to ignore BAD GIRL, her true ballad masterpiece. She sang it once and 10/10 for the performance, and this song would virtually fit into any tour- could you imagine it inMDNA straight after gang bang or LAV, faints!