Why Does M. Refuse to Revive TAKE A BOW

Phineaspoe

What? :lol: No it isn't. And Skin as a single would have sucked. I think Sky Fits Heaven instead of Drowned World in the UK would have great. But other than that the single choices were perfect for Ray of Light.

Why isn't it a good comparison? "Skin" is/was a fan favorite and not very radio-friendly. Ditto "Bedtime Story."

When the album was released in October 1994 promo posters in record shops said 'contains the singles Secret, Take a Bow, Bedtime Story and Human Nature'.

They were always going to be the singles.

Show me. This is the only one I could find:

Bedtimestoriesposterdutchlogo_resize.jpg?t=1359293017

Show me. This is the only one I could find:

Bedtimestoriesposterdutchlogo_resize.jpg?t=1359293017

I saw them in HMV. I thought BS would be the 2nd single so was surprised when TAB came out.

Yeah, but you just said they listed "Secret," "Take a Bow," "Bedtime Story," and "Human Nature" and that they were always going to be the singles...

Anyway, the songs they promote in the beginning is sometimes just the artist's favorite or the ones that have the most buzz. The sticker on the US version of COADF listed "Hung Up," "Sorry," and "Jump." So obviously "Get Together" was chosen later. And HC listed "4 Minutes" and "Beat Goes On."

1ill3a.jpg

I know, right? I think that the key learning I take away from this thread is the fact that there are fans who do not like this magnificent song. If someone would've told me, I wouldn't have believed it.

Yeah, but you just said they listed "Secret," "Take a Bow," "Bedtime Story," and "Human Nature" and that they were always going to be the singles... Anyway, the songs they promote in the beginning is sometimes just the artist's favorite or the ones that have the most buzz. The sticker on the US version of COADF listed "Hung Up," "Sorry," and "Jump." So obviously "Get Together" was chosen later. And HC listed "4 Minutes" and "Beat Goes On."

Just like with MDNA listing Gang Bang, I'm Addicted, Love Spent and Beautiful Killer... Oh, wait! :)

Ugh, Beat Goes On... another hit that got away. Hopefully she revives that one on tour as well. It's like the Get Lucky of 2008.

It was a different story in the UK than US. Secret was also a big hit in the US and in UK it went in at No 3 and people were saying she was over. Then there was that infamous magazine interview where they painted her as this old lonely spinster ( I can't recall what magazine it was ) and TAB totally tanked in UK. It reached No 16 and became her first song not to reach the Top 10 in years.

It entered the UK charts and peaked at No. 5 ( I doubled checked with Wiki). IMHO, I didn't think Secret was a good choice for a lead single in the UK. It didn't do brilliantly and it's long forgotten. With Bjork being so big, trip hop coming through etc, I think Bedtime Story would have been a daring but interesting lead single. Human Nature would have been a great second single. Secret would then follow but I still wouldn't have released TAB in the UK.

As for Skin, once again, should have been a single in the UK, certainly instead of PoG. It was so right for the era with all the house music around. DW could have been shunted to the fourth release.

Yeah, but you just said they listed "Secret," "Take a Bow," "Bedtime Story," and "Human Nature" and that they were always going to be the singles...

The HMV posters and display materials mentioned the 4 singles.

I remember thinking how odd it was that they knew so far in advance what the singles were going to be. I thought it a bit sad as it would spoil the surprise of what was coming next. I hated TAB to begin with so was shocked when that came 2nd as I thought BS would be the next one (considering the attention it had received being the specially-written Bjork track).

Inside of Me is the song about her mother. @5:20.

I forgot how much I enjoyed this interview. She's so funny :-)

[media=]

[/media]

I love this interview. I don't believe she wrote the SONGS thinking she needed to not offend anyone, but it's fairly obvious that Erotica/Sex was the end of that peak period where she was just doing what she wanted and kept pushing the envelope. Then it fell off the table and she took a step back and changed the subject. I mean, from the mid '80s until 1993, she just kept going in the same direction, topping herself in terms of sexual frankness, etc.

I view 1998 (ROL) through 2003 (AL) as the second period where she was pushing the envelope creatively and didn't care what people thought. Failure really does something terrible to Madonna.

It entered the UK charts and peaked at No. 5 ( I doubled checked with Wiki). IMHO, I didn't think Secret was a good choice for a lead single in the UK. It didn't do brilliantly and it's long forgotten. With Bjork being so big, trip hop coming through etc, I think Bedtime Story would have been a daring but interesting lead single. Human Nature would have been a great second single. Secret would then follow but I still wouldn't have released TAB in the UK.

As for Skin, once again, should have been a single in the UK, certainly instead of PoG. It was so right for the era with all the house music around. DW could have been shunted to the fourth release.

Oh sorry . Also I remembered watching Top of the Pops and the DJ ( Janice something ) Intorduced the Secret Musiv Video as " Here is Madonna the highest new enrty of the week but not as high as she used to be ."

I also think that her performance at The Brits helped BS chart higher than it would have charted.

I remember the HMV instore poster and poster boxes all saying it includes "Secret", "Take A Bow", "Bedtime Story" and "Human Nature". This can only mean that the singles were decided prior to the album's release. Does this mean then that Hard Candy's second single was to have been "Beat Goes On" due to it being on some posters and the album's sticker???

Guest bluejean

Why isn't it a good comparison? "Skin" is/was a fan favorite and not very radio-friendly. Ditto "Bedtime Story."

Oh I just see Bedtime Story as far more single worthy. It's a better song. Although I love Skin, it could have been a good club single. But then I'd have chosen Sky Fits Heaven over that anyway, that song would have done great in the Uk.

I remember the HMV instore poster and poster boxes all saying it includes "Secret", "Take A Bow", "Bedtime Story" and "Human Nature". This can only mean that the singles were decided prior to the album's release. Does this mean then that Hard Candy's second single was to have been "Beat Goes On" due to it being on some posters and the album's sticker???

Possibly, but I think it's different with every album. The same marketing crew that decided on the stickers for BS were likely not the same people handling Hard Candy. I think the posters you guys saw makes a strong case for those singles being planned from the start, but I don't think that means they were set in stone or that it wasn't done totally arbitrarily and then it just happened to shake out that way. TAB was probably planned as the second single, but the other two may have just been random and they stuck with it, or it could have been M's choice as her faves and she got her way in the end. That doesn't mean WB didn't push for another ballad after the success of TAB or that "Don't Stop" wasn't intended to be the fourth single by the label (which we know is probably true). The promos could have just as easily say "Secret, Take a Bow, Forbidden Love, and Don't Stop."

I'm certain that they usually have a basic blueprint, but marketing plans like this are totally fluid and can change based on the circumstances. For example, "Get Together" being released as the third single when, if you believe the stickers, wasn't intended to be a single. Or "Give It 2 Me" being the second single from HC (my guess is that the label wanted BGO, but Madonna got her way in this case). Going way back, what's the logic of releasing "Bad Girl" and "Rain" as singles back to back in the U.S.? Two ballads in a row couldn't have been the intent from the start, but the backlash (and rising popularity of ballads despite the album being predominantly house/dance) likely caused the label/Madonna to go in a softer/gentler direction toward the end of the project.

When I first heard it I thought it was awful. Far to twee for a Madonna song. The UK market rejected it straight away. I've no idea why it was released in the UK as it was the most unlikely Madonna single so far. I grew to love it in the end but the sentiment behind this song is so un-Madonna I think that is why she never tours it . She would never record a song like this nowadays.

When I first heard it I thought it was awful. Far to twee for a Madonna song. The UK market rejected it straight away. I've no idea why it was released in the UK as it was the most unlikely Madonna single so far. I grew to love it in the end but the sentiment behind this song is so un-Madonna I think that is why she never tours it . She would never record a song like this nowadays.

But it's almost exactly the same sentiment as Devil Wouldn't Recognise You - man pretends to be great, everyone loves him, she sees he's a fake cunt, tells him to get lost, even though she loves him.

I've always felt both songs are about Sean but idk.