"Everything from 'Everybody' "- Record Collector Magazine

freddykrueger86

The new Record Collector issue is out and comes with a 10 page feature on the making of Everybody by MNation member thebeatswithin.

d3fce6a8d7a200c184fabe6bb02829f4.jpg

Here's an excerpt from Record Collector's website:

EVERYTHING FROM EVERYBODY

Madonna’s first single may have been seen as just another dance record, but it alerted the music industry to her ability, and marked the start of an unmatchable career that’s still breaking records some 30 years on. Peter Magennis takes us back to the opening chapter of Madonna’s story, and discovers why her power to motivate her fans continues unmatched

3f1fd7f54c8f7e671acf1b57cacc990e.jpg

My whole career started out with 12 inches. Some girls have all the luck!” (Madonna, The Roxy, New York City, 23 October 2005 on her Confessions On A Dance Floor promotional tour).

Thirty years ago, a 12” dance single called Everybody peaked at No 3 on the US Billboard Dance Chart. The song was the debut single by Sire’s newest signing: a 24-year-old from Michigan calling herself Madonna.

DJs had been shaking New York’s dancefloors to Everybody since the song was released as a promotional single on 24 April 1982 but, outside of New York’s underground dance scene, the world had yet to be introduced to the woman who was on the cusp of revolutionising popular music and defining the pop sound of the emerging decade.

Madonna would go on to write better songs that would move millions both on and off the dance floor, but the 12” provided enough material from the girl to convince Sire to take a chance on the soon-to-be Lucky Star.

But luck had little to do with the ascent of undoubtedly the smartest and hardest-working star on Sire’s roster. In the past year alone, at a stage of her career when many other artists have long since burned out/ retired/are on their umpteenth “comeback”, Madonna has completed her sold-out, eight-month, 88-date MDNA tour (filmed for future release in …

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hey guys

Just wanted to let you know that my article about the making of Everybody for UK music magazine, Record Collector, is out now in the UK and will become available in select international book stores (Barnes & Noble, etc) in the coming weeks. International fans can also buy the magazine direct from the RC website http://recordcollectormag.com/issue-detail/411. It would be super cool if you guys could support me and buy the magazine (and not share scans online!) - especially if you'd like to see more articles like this one about the actual making of Madonna's music in the future (I'm itching to write loads more).

The story of Madonna's rise to fame has been told many, many times, but thanks to my exclusive interviews with virtually Everybody who was involved in making the single, the article reveals some cool new facts about M - including the name of yet another unreleased demo from the early years - and dare I say it, is possibly one of the most in-depth articles about the making of Madonna's first single.

Included in the article are new and exclusive interviews with Mark Kamins (producer), Bob Blank (studio owner), Butch Jones (studio engineer), Fred Zarr (synths), Leslie Ming (drums), Ira Siegel (guitar), Rob Prinz (Madonna's first agent), Danny Tenaglia (legendary club DJ) and Charlene "Chardonna" Martinez (the world's first Madonna wanna-be) - many of whom very kindly spoke exclusively and went on the record for the first time about working with M in - and out - of the studio.

Our Lady didn't quite make the cover this time (apart from a tiny pic above the title), as the publisher felt she didn't fit their demographic (or something) but it's still a pretty cool magazine if you're into M's music, or collect magazines.

Oh, and my original draft was close to 100,000 words, so I had to edit it drastically, but am left wth a load of cool stuff I hope to share on my resurrected blog thebeatswithin.blogspot.com in the near future - bear with me, I have a mega-busy day job guys ;-)

Thanks for the support and I hope you guys enjoy the read!

I can't wait to get hold of a copy. I love reading all about recording sessions and the background to a song. To have so much info on early stuff is great! I can't wait to find out what the name of the new song is. It's unbelievable there is a song title there that hasn't leaked!

Ps. there is already a thread on this started earlier today!

Whoops! I've just posted a new thread about this - I'm the guy who wrote the article - thanks for the super nice comments guys!

Erm, is there a mod who can maybe sort this out? Sorry guys!

Please check out my thread for more details, including how to buy the magazine if you live outside the UK... http://forums.madonnanation.com/index.php?showtopic=42569

Hey jonski - I've just realised about the other thread - my bad! Hopefully a mod can sort?

Thanks for the comments - really hope you enjoy the article buddy ;-)

The song title revealed is a very, very early demo (very different from the release) of one of her early UK singles...

Whoops! I've just posted a new thread about this - I'm the guy who wrote the article - thanks for the super nice comments guys!

Erm, is there a mod who can maybe sort this out? Sorry guys!

Please check out my thread for more details, including how to buy the magazine if you live outside the UK... http://forums.madonn...showtopic=42569

Thank you!

I love that magazine

Hey guys

Just wanted to let you know that my article about the making of Everybody for UK music magazine, Record Collector, is out now in the UK and will become available in select international book stores (Barnes & Noble, etc) in the coming weeks. International fans can also buy the magazine direct from the RC website http://recordcollect...ssue-detail/411. It would be super cool if you guys could support me and buy the magazine (and not share scans online!) - especially if you'd like to see more articles like this one about the actual making of Madonna's music in the future (I'm itching to write loads more).

Our Lady didn't quite make the cover this time (apart from a tiny pic above the title), as the publisher felt she didn't fit their demographic (or something) but it's still a pretty cool magazine if you're into M's music, or collect magazines.

RecordCollector_Jul08_1.jpg

Madonna-Record-Collector-560268.jpg

:lol:

I've tried to order it but I can't... Something's wrong with my credit card and ask me to talk with my bank. Is the first time it happens to me. I can buy in amazon, e-bay, and all those sites without problema. Does anyone here know another site to buy it? I've never bought a magazine so I don't know where to look for it...

RecordCollector_Jul08_1.jpg

Madonna-Record-Collector-560268.jpg

:lol:

Yeah, XXL, I did remind them of my previous Madonna cover feature from 2008 - their fastest selling issue in years - but new publisher = new rules for RC, which lately seems more heavily rock-centric, as I guess it's always kind of been anyways. But if anyone can trump M, I guess it's another legendary act and at least it's not Gaga ;-)

Thanks for all the LUV above guys - if y'all buy the magazine then maybe we'll get her on the cover for the next in-depth artiicle about her music ;-)

Guest Pud Whacker

Hey guys

Just wanted to let you know that my article about the making of Everybody for UK music magazine, Record Collector, is out now in the UK and will become available in select international book stores (Barnes & Noble, etc) in the coming weeks. International fans can also buy the magazine direct from the RC website http://recordcollect...ssue-detail/411. It would be super cool if you guys could support me and buy the magazine (and not share scans online!) - especially if you'd like to see more articles like this one about the actual making of Madonna's music in the future (I'm itching to write loads more).

The story of Madonna's rise to fame has been told many, many times, but thanks to my exclusive interviews with virtually Everybody who was involved in making the single, the article reveals some cool new facts about M - including the name of yet another unreleased demo from the early years - and dare I say it, is possibly one of the most in-depth articles about the making of Madonna's first single.

Included in the article are new and exclusive interviews with Mark Kamins (producer), Bob Blank (studio owner), Butch Jones (studio engineer), Fred Zarr (synths), Leslie Ming (drums), Ira Siegel (guitar), Rob Prinz (Madonna's first agent), Danny Tenaglia (legendary club DJ) and Charlene "Chardonna" Martinez (the world's first Madonna wanna-be) - many of whom very kindly spoke exclusively and went on the record for the first time about working with M in - and out - of the studio.

Oh, and my original draft was close to 100,000 words, so I had to edit it drastically, but am left wth a load of cool stuff I hope to share on my resurrected blog thebeatswithin.blogspot.com in the near future - bear with me, I have a mega-busy day job guys ;-)

Thanks for the support and I hope you guys enjoy the read!

:thumbsup: xo

Sneaked a quick read in the supermarket this evening - I'll buy it at the weekend but really wanted to flick through. It's great. Really interesting to have so much detail and read about that future hit! Love the collectors bit at the end too. Btw, is the mix on the Spanish 12" unique to Spain? Someone here said it was several mixes mixed together to create one unique mix?

Sneaked a quick read in the supermarket this evening - I'll buy it at the weekend but really wanted to flick through. It's great. Really interesting to have so much detail and read about that future hit! Love the collectors bit at the end too. Btw, is the mix on the Spanish 12" unique to Spain? Someone here said it was several mixes mixed together to create one unique mix?

I have the Spanish 12'' and I can tell you that the versions included on it are:

A: The UK 12'' Without the intro (That's the only different thing on it. It starts directly with the music)

B: The UK 7'' Dub