MDNA Press Reviews

Guest groovyguy

Guest Xanthium

All of Madonna's albums start out with the big poppy tracks first and then get more emotional and 'deep' towards the end dating back to Erotica really. Bedtime Stories, ROL, COADF even HARD CANDY. Even American Life now that I think about it.

This is true. She likes to start off with some cardio and finish with pilates and yoga.

Well I do agree with that, that it changes gears with Superstar. If you like the songs and not the order, I recommend switching up the track list to your liking. I did it immediately and am VERY pleased with the album now. I got rid of GGW, GMAYL, and Superstar entirely and added I Fucked Up, Beautiful Killer, and Best Friend. But if you don't like the entire second half, I guess the rearranging won't work :( Well at least you'll have a killer dance EP :thumbsup: You can call it The MDNA Monster :D

That's the matter. That some of the songs must be left out completely like that B-Day Song. Some songs like that are utterly crappy for me and destroy the good feeling that flows from the album initially.

Isn't the point of an album to start one way and finish another? Sort of like a journey? If you want non stop club bangers I would recommend a Ministry of Sound compilation.

Well MDNA is actually similar to a MOS compilation at it's starting songs. But thanks I have enough MOS already

Guest Xanthium

That's the matter. That some of the songs must be left out completely like that B-Day Song. Some songs like that are utterly crappy for me and destroy the good feeling that flows from the album initially.

I understand what you're saying. I'm just glad that I love 3 of the b-sides and was able to swap them with the 3 album tracks that I don't like.

I understand what you're saying. I'm just glad that I love 3 of the b-sides and was able to swap them with the 3 album tracks that I don't like.

Right. But generally the album is so much better than the previous one and don't forget that it's still early to decide. It grows on everyone little by little.

Something else that I've noticed is that Madonna lost fb fans

Guest groovyguy

http://www.madonnatribe.com/news/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=6829

Madonna's is featured on leading Italian weekly magazine "TV Sorrisi e Canzoni" with a two-page spread about her new album and the following headline;"Everybody get on the floor, Madonna is back!". The one on Sorrisi is also one of the several Italian album reviews which add a patriotic twist to the article dedicating a box to the work of Team Benassi on MDNA.

sorrisi_001.jpg

Metacritic just added another TERRIBLY NEGATIVE review (35/100) and MDNA's score is now lower than Hard Candy :lmao:

I just don't understand why people keep saying they are fair. Yes, they are an aggregator, but a super SHADY one.

I was following another popstar's album score 2 years ago but the score kept running lower and lower while they literally IGNORED all the positive professional reviews including Allmusic, Slant, which were supposed to count.

Metacritic just added another TERRIBLY NEGATIVE review (35/100) and MDNA's score is now lower than Hard Candy :lmao:

I just don't understand why people keep saying they are fair. Yes, they are an aggregator, but a super SHADY one.

I was following another popstar's album score 2 years ago but the score kept running lower and lower while they literally IGNORED all the positive professional reviews including Allmusic, Slant, which were supposed to count.

Who's album was that? That sounds terribly unlikely but I'm open to seeing the proof.

Email Metacritic and tell them to count the positive ones. Do something about it.

Who's album was that? That sounds terribly unlikely but I'm open to seeing the proof.

Email Metacritic and tell them to count the positive ones. Do something about it.

I sent an email asking them to explain their methodology and why some positive reviews have not been added. No response.

Guest jamesshot

Many critics, who seem pained to give Madonna a good reveiw, then have to add a huge qualifier like "Well, we all know lyrics were never her strong suit jajajajajja" and always take away from the positive. The way they word it makes it sound like it is common knowledge that she is not a good songwriter. Just another way of being able to make the case she isn't really talented and that her music is good because of the producers in spite of her.

Madonna has written some fantastic songs/lyrics/melodies. And yes she has written some trite/cliched songs/lyrics/melodies but she has proven she is a very good songwriter. God these critics can just fuck off. They can never just give it up to her no matter what. Ever. They've always got to throw in a back handed compliment or get in a dig.

Many critics, who seem pained to give Madonna a good reveiw, then have to add a huge qualifier like "Well, we all know lyrics were never her strong suit jajajajajja" and always take away from the positive. The way they word it makes it sound like it is common knowledge that she is not a good songwriter. Just another way of being able to make the case she isn't really talented and that her music is good because of the producers in spite of her.

Madonna has written some fantastic songs/lyrics/melodies. And yes she has written some trite/cliched songs/lyrics/melodies but she has proven she is a very good songwriter. God these critics can just fuck off. They can never just give it up to her no matter what. Ever. They've always got to throw in a back handed compliment or get in a dig.

Welcome to Madonna's career unforch. They'll fawn over her and kiss her ass when she dies. And I'll be there to make fun of them.

And people to this day still argue with me and say everyone loves her in the USA...

Unfortunately, they always have something negative to say because they can't accept that she's the most successful who may have started out with the "least" talent and shown to be the smartest, most talented, most entertaining of all the other singers/performers of the 80's and now, most importantly (what I always knew) that she would never derail and lose control of her fame. She is in total control of it and lives as she sees fit. That is a quality that takes a lot of composure to have. Oprah also has that, which is why I respect her.then again, Oprah doesn't have to perform or entertain using an artistic mean so it's a bit different. She can just sit there and be her honest, brilliant self and that is also honorable in its own way.

And if she starts writing deep and meaningful lyrics the critics will probably accuse her of being overly pretentious balh blah blah . She's just going write /do what she wants to do.

Either get with the program or get lost!

French elitist cultural magazine Telerama gave MDNA 3 out of 4 comparing it to Depeche Mode. I'm shocked ( positively).

What did techniKart say? I loved their lofty American Life Cover story :wow:

baner.jpg

What did techniKart say? I loved their lofty American Life Cover story :wow:

baner.jpg

I don't know, i don't read it anymore. They were really mean with both Confessions and Hard Candy and became really nasty jerks since 2003 in general. The magazine used to be great but it became less and less interesting since 2004. But the Editor in chief was on that documentary Pud posted and he was very positive about Madonna so who knows ? Mostly the reviews in France are bad that's why i'm so confused by the Télérama one because they have the most demanding reviewers and is considered to be very elitist.

I don't know, i don't read it anymore. They were really mean with both Confessions and Hard Candy and became really nasty jerks since 2003 in general. The magazine used to be great but it became less and less interesting since 2004. But the Editor in chief was on that documentary Pud posted and he was very positive about Madonna so who knows ? Mostly the reviews in France are bad that's why i'm so confused by the Télérama one because they have the most demanding reviewers and is considered to be very elitist.

What docu did Pud Post?

From the BBC site (sorry if already posted). They say it should sell more than Hard Candy.

Madonna's new album MDNA is on course to top the charts on both sides of the Atlantic, according to midweek figures.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17546227"]Madonna on course for number one in US and UK[/url]

From the BBC site (sorry if already posted). They say it should sell more than Hard Candy.

Madonna's new album MDNA is on course to top the charts on both sides of the Atlantic, according to midweek figures.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-17546227"]Madonna on course for number one in US and UK[/url]

Elvis will be so pissed! :thumbsup:

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2012/03/26/032612-arts-music-album-madonna-mdna-review-1-2/

Album Review: Madonna, ‘MDNA’

By Zach Baron Monday, March 26, 2012

“I loved you the most, but I was just keeping my enemies close.” “You were building my coffin, you were driving my hearse.” “Lawyers, suck it up, didn’t have a pre-nup.” “Would you have married me if I were poor?”

All these darts from Madonna’s wobbly but winning “MDNA,” we can infer, are aimed at one man, a certain movie-director ex-husband of hers; perhaps that girl with “fake tits and a nasty mood” she lambastes on “Some Girls” has something to do with her bad temper here as well.

There is a certain nervy fascination in watching Madonna play the scorned woman, the faithful and jilted lover — even, for that matter, the singer who sings about herself. Break-up records are the territory of weepy men lying on tissue-strewn floors, or pop singers unfortunate enough to have pledged their eternal love to Russell Brand. We can relate to these people. We can sympathize.

But who wants to sympathize with Madonna? Anyone can be an everywoman. But there is only one of us who is this particular woman. We look to her for answers bigger than how to heal a broken heart. For instance: Is dubstep still cool? (Judging by the William Orbit- and Martin Solveig-produced wub-wub-wub bridges of “Gang Bang” and “I Don’t Give A,” yes.) Where does a woman as busy as Madonna find time to tweet? (“On the elevator” en route to “the helicopter,” apparently.) Any obscure slang terms we should know about? (“Made a decision I would never look back,” she sneers. “So how did you end up with all my jack?” That’s money, right?)

Mock not the mom on the dance floor, lest you become one. On “MDNA,” Madonna rhymes “working out, shake my ass” with “I know how to multi-task,” samples the copyrighted phrases “girls gone wild” and “girls, they just wanna have some fun” — on the same song, no less — and even bends the chemical structure of the ecstasy pill that her album title puns on in order to make a double entendre of her own involving her name and DNA.

Sound goofy? It is. But one thing Madonna has never lacked is a strong sense of herself, even if her tastes have never been less than plastic — opportunistic, even. She let the guy with all the hair from LMFAO bury the back of his head in her crotch at the Super Bowl and still emerged triumphant. So it is on “MDNA,” which sets all the trendy signatures of current pop music — the Eurohouse thump, the busy intros, outros, bridges, choruses and pre-choruses — against the gawky, solid presence of Madonna herself, a 53-year-old pop singer incapable of feeling embarrassment.

On the tight-lipped “I’m Addicted,” she flips a rave-up love song into a paean to herself, fading out with a chant of M-D-N-A. “Give Me All Your Luvin’ ” and “I Don’t Give A” both feature the rapper Nicki Minaj, and the Queens-born, über-confident MC seems to have functioned as a muse throughout the album. On “Gang Bang,” Madonna talks like a tough broad from “Sin City” or “Kill Bill,” fantasizes about murdering an ex-lover, then brags: “If I see that bitch in hell, I’m gonna shoot him in the head again.” In perhaps the most classically buoyant and anthemic song here, the gauzy, bumping “Turn Up the Radio,” she delivers the upshot: “I’m leaving the past behind.”

Madonna, of all people, knows that’s not an option. But she also knows it’s a productive delusion. As always with this artist, we are stuck in the eternal present, the beat obliterating past sadness even as it points the way toward a happier future.

Guest groovyguy

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2012/03/26/032612-arts-music-album-madonna-mdna-review-1-2/

Album Review: Madonna, ‘MDNA’

By Zach Baron Monday, March 26, 2012

Madonna, of all people, knows that’s not an option. But she also knows it’s a productive delusion. As always with this artist, we are stuck in the eternal present, the beat obliterating past sadness even as it points the way toward a happier future.

:inlove:

And if she starts writing deep and meaningful lyrics the critics will probably accuse her of being overly pretentious balh blah blah . She's just going write /do what she wants to do.

Either get with the program or get lost!

Madonna is a deeply flawed artist. That doesn't mean she's not brilliant, but we all know she has strengths and weaknesses. Rich has never liked Madonna's lyrics. It's annoying that he's saying it as if it's "common knowledge" and everyone agrees with him, but her lyrics are indeed a problem recently. And I don't think people would accuse her of being overly pretentious for writing deep and meaningful lyrics - unless they were actually overly pretentious. They're two different things.

Madonna is always going to deliver the occasional clunker, but I find her lyrics on MDNA to be very solid, particularly Gang Bang, Some Girls, parts of I Don't Give A, I'm A Sinner, Love Spent, Masterpiece, Falling Free, and Beautiful Killer.

Guest jamesshot

Madonna is a deeply flawed artist. That doesn't mean she's not brilliant, but we all know she has strengths and weaknesses. Rich has never liked Madonna's lyrics. It's annoying that he's saying it as if it's "common knowledge" and everyone agrees with him, but her lyrics are indeed a problem recently. And I don't think people would accuse her of being overly pretentious for writing deep and meaningful lyrics - unless they were actually overly pretentious. They're two different things.

Correct. She has been a tad lazy in the lyrics dept for a lot of this past decade but she has and continues to deliver some fantastic songwriting amongst the occasional clunker.

The thing about the critics is they seem to put Madonna under a microscope they never put any other artist under. How many "respected" bands and artists can we all name some very stupid lyrics they've written? Plenty. I guess maybe it comes with the territory for being the "most successful" as Madonna is. I have heard some of her detractors admit they do think she is a good singer and a great artist but they are just angry she is the "most successful female singer" when she doesn't have the biggest voice.