Madonna Super Bowl thread

Guest Not4Pussies

If Beyonce wouldn't beat the ratings MADONNA pulled from last year, i wonder if media will make a big deal out of it because we can bet our lives they will if Beyonce beats last year's ratings....

They will make a big deal out of it & praise her anyway...I'll be shocked if it happens otherwise

I think Beyonce will go down a storm. Madonna injected some life into the show and I think there will be a natural carry over to the following year. B is hugely popular and 'cool' still so the press will hype it up whatever.

Honestly, she'll have to produce a real turd of a set to fail.

I don't know about "hugely" popular (she didn't score a top 10 single from her most recent album, recall- her singles did great on the R&B chart, though)- but she's definitely one of the biggest names (and one of the more entertaining ones).

I don't know about "hugely" popular (she didn't score a top 10 single from her most recent album, recall- her singles did great on the R&B chart, though)- but she's definitely one of the biggest names (and one of the more entertaining ones).

Her fame outweighs her actual chart status but that will be enough to hype it.

The last album was doing nothing in the UK then she appeared at Glaaaaastonberrrrrrry in the UK and turned in an amazing live show which suddenly kickstarted the project and the singles and album shot up the charts. I think she's still one of the top music names who could pull this off.

Guest ditaluver

20121022-news-madonna-gina-brooke-super-bowl-behind-the-scenes.jpg

http://www.madonnarama.com/posts-en/2012/10/25/behind-the-scenes-with-gina-brooke-madonna-incl-never-before-seen-picture/

B&B:
Tell us about the mink lashes, and diamond lashes for Madonna.

Gina Brooke:
During Madonna’s “Confession On A Dance Floor ” album, I came up with the idea of placing rose cut lashes at the base of her false lash in which every time the stage lights would hit her face, she would reflect light back into the audience. I had no idea they would become the World’s Most Expensive lashes and sell for $10,000 a pair.

B&B:
You also do Madonna’s personal makeup, are there certain looks she loves?

Gina Brooke:
Black eyeliner is quintessentially Madonna’s DNA. Most of the time she loves a cat eye and, of course, beautiful flawless skin.

B&B:
Just as Madonna has evolved, what do you recommend for women in their 20’s, 30’s and 40’s+ from foundations, lips and eyes?

Gina Brooke:
Regardless of your age, the key to looking beautiful and exuding confidence comes from the way in which a person feels about oneself. It may sound cliché but confidence really adds/makes all the difference. My good friend Ilona Royce Smithkin is 92 and cuts the (red) hair from her head onto her lashes. In addition to her wearing bright orange lipstick (which I Love), Ilona is a true testament to living life to the fullest, feeling confident and exuding her own sense of style and beauty. That’s what its really all about.

Read the full article at The Blonde & The Brunette

Read more: http://www.madonnarama.com/posts-en/2012/10/25/behind-the-scenes-with-gina-brooke-madonna-incl-never-before-seen-picture/#ixzz2AGB2K0ic

People tuned in to see a legend and icon this year. Beyonce is a great performer but I don't see her being in the same league as M. I don't think she will generate the same level of interest and ratings as M did.

that's correct!

i can already foresee what will happen: (press wise)beyonce will be the better dancer, less of an intro, more "scaled down", less show/more about her vocals & movements..

she won't beat m's record but i'm sure she'll get more praise and a lot of the usual "finally a singer who doesn't have to rely on special effects.." blablabla

...and let's NOT FORGET, even at this stage in her career Ms. Beyonce DOES NOT have an ICONIC song like LIKE A PRAYER! What an AMAZING ending.

But I do think the young crowd will think the awful X-Factor wailing of 'Halo' is the equivalent :(

Billboard recently ran Maximum Exposure: 100+ Platforms That Move Music Now, in which it surveys industry experts to find out the most important ways of connecting in today’s marketplace.

The Super Bowl climbed from No. 2 on last year's list to No. 1. Also, up from No. 10 to No. 4 is, "Song in a TV Commercial That Runs During a Special Event with Significant Viewership (Super Bowl, Oscars, Olympics, Etc.)"- Madonna got a mention there with: In the week following Madonna’s Super Bowl appearance, sales of her first single from MDNA, “Give Me All Your Luvin’,” increased 44%.

Here's the Super Bowl write-up:

1. NFL + Music= Touchdown!

Last Year: No. 2

Super Bowl viewership: 111.3 million

Just a few short years ago, the NFL's Lawrence Randall and Tracy Perlman were chasing down artists in between album cycles to perform and lend their music to some of football's most-watched telecasts. Today, the likes of Madonna, Kelly Clarkson, Aerosmith and Beyonce are knocking down their door to debut new material - often seeing major results.

Case in point: Madonna performed new single "Give Me All Your Luvin' " during the 2012 Super Bowl halftime show, complete with guests M.I.A. and Nicki Minaj. Her performance was the most-watched TV event in U.S. history, with more than 116 million viewers, according to Nielsen, and the single was able to rise to No. 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 in its second week, logging Madonna her 38th Billboard top 10 (an extension of her chart record). Her catalog sales also surged 214% the week following the Super Bowl, with his compilation Celebration re-entering the Billboard 200 at No. 24 and selling 16,000 copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Little wonder that a Super Bowl halftime performance replaces a Grammy Awards performance at No. 1 on this year's Maximum Exposure list. Also, a performance during the Super Bowl pregame show rose from No. 72 to No. 45 this year.

But beyond the Super Bowl, artists are linking up to be part of the NFL's many tentpoles - from the Kickoff Concert in September (this year's featured No Doubt and Mariah Carey, each of whom performed new singles) to the draft event in New York to tailgate performances before televised games. Then there’s the NFL’s extensive media network, from NFL.com to the NFL Media Network (which recently teamed with Cee Lo Green for a program called “Fanchise”) to network partners like ESPN, NBC, ABC and CBS, among others).

Though synchs and performances of current singles have gained traction in recent years with music partners, artists are now creating new material for the NFL. Through a partnership with Pepsi and music branding agency Cornerstone called NFL Anthems, they’ve enlisted Aerosmith, Ice Cube, Travie McCoy and Kid Rock to write and record original songs for their hometown teams, even recruiting Wiz Khalifa to revisit his Steelers-inspired hit “Black & Yellow.”

“They’re more than just anthems for the teams,” says Perlman, the NFL’s VP of entertainment marketing and promotions. “They’ve become radio hits in each market, and some of these will even be on the artists’ next records.”

Why the increased outreach? For starters, NFL telecasts are among the few TV events that are still gaining audiences during prime time, with live events like sports and awards shows achieving their largest viewing audience in decades in recent years as scripted programming falls victim to delayed , DVR viewing. Plus, the NFL draws some of the largest, most diverse audiences anywhere - particularly during the Super Bowl.

“It’s not 18-49, it’s really 8-80,” says Randall, the NFL’s director of entertainment programming and acquisitions. “Your grandma watches, everybody watches. You find the iconic artists for the Super Bowl, but events like our tailgates and the NFL Honors allow us to touch across all different lines. We host a Latino concert every year, for example, so we’re very conscious of which demos we’re hitting when we’re reaching out [for] music.”

Getting a song synched by an NFL network partner or a team during a commercial “bumper” - the 15-30 seconds leading into a commercial break - can also be valuable real estate for new and emerging artists, though the compensation tends to be minimal. “The teams are more accustomed to cashing checks than cutting them,” says John Canaday of GMR Marketing. “But teams can say, ’We’ll promote your artist around the launch of their album,’ which is appealing from a label standpoint.”

Expectations are high that 2013’s halftime show will match and potentially top Madonna’s record audience, as industry analysts feel Beyonce has the potential to reach an even wider audience - particularly with speculation swirling around cameos by Jay Z and Destiny’s Child. The announcement was made directly through Beyonce’s social media channels, a full month ahead of the NFL’s usual practice of revealing its halftime performers during its Thanksgiving game. “We knew with Beyonce and the following she had on Tumblr, we could get a lot of buzz,” Randall says. “We’re working with Pepsi, who helped us on the Super Bowl halftime show this year, and CBS had all our players retweet the message just to get it out. It’s something we’ve never done before, as we’re trying to so something new and keep it fresh.”

Perlman said the NFL has already had a call with Team Beyonce to walk them through the potential opportunities for a breakthrough performance on Feb. 3. “We started talking about, ‘What cam we do in respect to her fan club? In respect to radio promotion? How are we going to integrate her into everything we have?’ The great thing about Beyonce is that she knows that she is an iconic brand, and to marry her with our brand we are trying to come up with something unique that people are not expecting to see from us.”-- Andrew Hampp

i guess that every year more people watch tv, every year the Superbowl audience go up so of course Beyoncé can pull a big number, but that doesn't mean that her show will be better than Madonna's, she's not that iconic.

The media lovers her, Obama too, i bet that this will be her setlist:

-Single Ladies

-Desnity's Child Medley (Michelle and Kelly as background singers)

-Crazy in Love with Jay Z and Blue Ivy

-Halo (is her Like a Prayer).

Guest Fukujima

The fact is that in places like Europe where the Superbowl is/was mostly an unknown event lot of people watched it because of Madonna.

My colleagues that don't give a shit about american football and didn't even know what the Superbowl is were commenting the performance as it was all over the news for days after it aired on TV.

IMO I don't think Beyoncé will attract as much attention as Madonna outside the US.