Let's talk about the DEMO VERISONS then..

Apples388

In the wake of the pandemonium / collective gay coma / hysteria that has ensued due to the leak of GIVE ME A BUCKET, I thought I'd make a list of the demo versions we've heard over the years and compare them with what ended up as final versions. Please feel free to add any I've missed (or correct me when I've been wrong). I will exclude the Madonna / First Album era as those songs went through a series of mutations / versions.

STAY

'81 version vastly different from '84 LP version.

INTO THE GROOVE

Demo version first heard in Desperately Seeking Susan.

The final version of the song ended up being very similar to the demo version - identical lyrics and melody certainly.

WHAT CAN YOU LOSE

Piano ballad, not much different from final version apart of course from hilariously offkey/strainy bits on the demo vocal that she thankfully re-cut.

EROTICA / YOU THRILL ME

A radical change was introduced in the final version by splicing out the entire "You Thrill Me" segment of the song.

GOODBYE TO INNOCENCE

One of the few instances in which the demo was much better than the final version!

BAD GIRL aka CHEAT

Pretty much identical

LOVE WON'T WAIT (Madonna demo; final version released by Gary Barlow)

Not much different.

TAKE A BOW

Nearly identical to demo version, but with the addition of Babyface vox and a completely new vocal cut by Madonna. I think the fear many would have is that GIVE ME A BUCKET final version may follow a similar pattern to this, with just added MIA and Nicki vox!

LITTLE STAR

Production beefed up for LP version but otherwise same.

SUBSTITUTE FOR LOVE

Complete facelift for final LP version and about a million times better than demo. Nearly different song altogether (apart from lyrics.)

TO HAVE AND NOT TO HOLD

Proper production values added in but otherwise melody and lyrics are the same.

STOP (Joe Henry demo of "Don't Tell Me")

Lyrically identical, some subtle melodic alterations and a completely rearranged production.

IS THIS LOVE?

Elements from this acoustic demo ended up in "Voices," a completely different song.

IT'S SO COOL

Not sure if the 2002 acoustic version is a 'demo' and the final Celebration version was the 'proper' version. I think that the 2002 version was a proper version and they merely 'gayed' it up for the compilation.

I LOVE NEW YORK

Rock demo vastly different in terms of production to the final version on Confessions but lyrically pretty much identical. Bridge identical, and post-bridge 2nd chorus incorporated into final version as final chorus.

THE BEAT GOES ON

Acoustic demo - vastly different (apart from lyrics).

Demo version - with Pharrell and "instrumentation". Vastly different from final version. The leak caused a bit of hysteria at the time with negative reception but ironically the final version ended up being one of the most loved on the album and certainly a crowd pleaser on S+S.

HEARTBEAT (Nicole S demo for Madonna)

Slightly different from Pharrell and Nicole S demo.

BROKEN (acoustic demo)

Similar vein to "Beat Goes On" - i.e. Madonna guitar song transformed into dance song at the end. And for the better.

REVOLVER (RaVaughan demo for Madonna)

Final version identical to demo version apart from addition of a melody line. And of course correct pronunciation of "accessory".

GIVE ME ALL YOUR LOVE

????????????????

That Enya shit is the worst. :lmao:

Some (deaf) gays here claim it's better than the album version :rotfl:

I can just imagine her in the studio wearing an Enya-esque cloak (like that starry thing she wore to an awards show once) with scented candles and shit :lmao:

But Stop is not really a demo, & I'd say the melody is way different.

I really love No substitute for Love, & what it eventually became. :wow:

BUT I'd really love 2 hear more stuff like this:

DEAR FATHER = FANTASTIQUE!!!!!!

I love her EROTICA era vocal.. like when she really belts it.. see also: "Deeper and Deeper" verse 2, the "DAAAAADY couldn't be aaaaaaaaaaalll WROOOOOOOOOOONG" and of course the demo vocal bridge that didn't make it-

IIIIIIIIII can't help fallin' in love

And you KNOW it

IIIIIIIIIIIII can't help fallin' in love

So I SHOW it

:inlove:

Who could ever have predicted the Birth of a Crow a mere 10 years later? :(

DEAR FATHER = FANTASTIQUE!!!!!!

I love her EROTICA era vocal.. like when she really belts it.. see also: "Deeper and Deeper" verse 2, the "DAAAAADY couldn't be aaaaaaaaaaalll WROOOOOOOOOOONG" and of course the demo vocal bridge that didn't make it-

IIIIIIIIII can't help fallin' in love

And you KNOW it

IIIIIIIIIIIII can't help fallin' in love

So I SHOW it

:inlove:

Who could ever have predicted the Birth of a Crow a mere 10 years later? :(

It makes me :( 2...

A Suedester Special:

:lol: at her voice, talking bit at 1:50...like she woke up with a penis in her ear :D

ackito as I said in the original post, "Goodbye to Innocence" demo version is LIFE. Much better than the final version. And yes the spoken bits are just amazing.

Now let's get down to the BRIDGE -

Yourself.... yourself and NOBODY eaayyhhhhllse in that beautiful deep Dita voice :inlove:

"Shame" is also FANTASTIQUE!

It's a SHAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYMMMMM

Guest bluejean

Gosh, just imagine if we ever get demo versions of alot of her most famous songs. I'm guessing in alot of cases they won't be all that different (like just unmixed, unmastered with subtle improvements) but there must be some moments where they are quite different or where we can here them in their stages of development. Things like those horrid parts in 'Music' about the tango wango that got culled. Or that verse in 'Human Nature' that didn't make the cut. Love that kind of stuff!

Like the Michael Jackson demo's of 'Don't Stop til You Get Enough,' 'Billie Jean' etc etc.

Guest bluejean

Also...

BURNING UP

Several early demos that show the progression of the song and its sound

EVERYBODY

Same deal as 'Burning Up'

LIKE A VIRGIN

The demo done by the songwriters with a male vocal on falsetto. Obviously quite different but the general structure and feel of the song is the same.

CRAZY FOR YOU

Demo with a male vocal, assuming its Jellybean. Have lost this, would love to hear it again if anyone can post it!

OPEN YOUR HEART

Same as above

LIVE TO TELL

Believed to be fake although I'm not convinced. Not dramatically different, the general idea is there.

THE POWER OF GOODBYE

Totally different production wise, more Enya/Ambient in style but same song

TO HAVE AND NOT TO HOLD

In similar vein just more produced

MUSIC

Basically just an unmixed/mastered version of the final track. Someone please post this if you have it. There's also that extended version which I suspect is what it was set to be originally

GET TOGETHER

Completely different in production, chord structure, alot darker

HISTORY

The earlier version is considered better by most, quite different

CANDY SHOP

Same deal as 'Music'

INFINITY

Early demo of 'Give It 2 Me,' totally different

There's also Liquid Love, Across The Sky and Keep The Trance which all have early versions and then their later "final" versions. 'Keep The Trance' can also be considered an earlier version of 'Get Together' and some lyrics were used in 'Hey You.'

Oh and wasn't it established that the 'Take A Bow' demo was fake created using an instrumental of the song and an a capella that doesn't have any effects on the vocals. I don't believe the actual vocals are a different take/performance.

I'm still waiting for someone to leak the complete RAIN TAPES in high quality.

Come on Shep, we know you need the money! :evil:

I can't fight with your words, they pretend to be kind but your words are for fools.

Fuck yeah we need those fulls tapes. :thumbsup:

Her standouts:

Stay

Goodbye to Innocence (omfg, i liked the released mix, but this demo is so different, so unique, so hard, and like fucking amazing, one her best unreleased traxks)

Is This Love (love me some AcousticDonna)

But Stop is not really a demo, & I'd say the melody is way different.

I really love No substitute for Love, & what it eventually became. :wow:

BUT I'd really love 2 hear more stuff like this:

Yep, 'cause she's SINGING her a$$ off, that's what I MISS THE MOST!!!

Guest bluejean

What are the 'rain tapes'?

It's 2 demo cassettes of earlier demos from the 'Erotica' sessions with Shep.

It's only called the 'Rain Tapes' because 'Rain' is the 1st song on it and is written on the cassette cover or something like that. Some of it has leaked but it hasn't leaked in full good quality. There are fan made fakes that exist though which confused alot of people.

• 2 years later...

TAKE A BOW

Nearly identical to demo version, but with the addition of Babyface vox and a completely new vocal cut by Madonna. I think the fear many would have is that GIVE ME A BUCKET final version may follow a similar pattern to this, with just added MIA and Nicki vox!

I was right! :lmao::(