Revolver - Official single or not?

johnnox

Was there no physical release here in the UK for this? A friend of mine said he saw a 12" picture disc at HMV in Oxford earlier this year. This was a confusing release.

I dont know about a picture disc, but i do have the maxi cd single that was released here.

"Revolver," like MATM, is throwaway, but it's an OK listen. Can see why both "Celebration" and "Revolver" were used for a compilation. With JML and "Rescue Me," neither are among M's grandest, either, but they were better than these two tracks, collectively, and at least we have the JML video. The "Celebration" video is one of the most pointless clips she's ever produced- almost rivals "American Life" (Geography Lesson) in that department.

How can you disrespect an ACCLAIMED and CULTURALLY ENRICHING classic like Justify, Holiday? :(

And Rescue Me it's one of the best Madonna's performance, there's so much soul in those screams! Specially in that fantastic remix Titanic Vocal, the girls in the choir are simply great. I like this song more than JML.

"Revolver," like MATM, is throwaway, but it's an OK listen. Can see why both "Celebration" and "Revolver" were used for a compilation. With JML and "Rescue Me," neither are among M's grandest, either, but they were better than these two tracks, collectively, and at least we have the JML video. The "Celebration" video is one of the most pointless clips she's ever produced- almost rivals "American Life" (Geography Lesson) in that department.

Fired!!

This- and "Hey You"- are singles, regardless of whether there was a radio push or a video. May not be officially promoted singles, but singles nonetheless.

In the iTunes age, any track that gets released outside of an album- where it says "Single"- well, that's what it is. Each veteran act has had their share of flop/underperformers, no big deal.

What about album tracks that aren't actually released as separate "singles" at iTunes, but they sell a heap and become smash hits? Here in Australia, each record company actually has to request that a song be considered a single for chart purposes. If they don't do this, then the single doesn't appear on the charts and isn't a single in Australia. "Hey You", "Miles Away" and "Revolver" were all available for purchase separately at iTunes, but Warners did not request that they be considered as singles in Australia, so officially, they weren't singles here. The only singles that Madonna has released in Australia over the past two years are "Give It 2 Me" in 2008 and "Celebration" in 2009.

I agree with others that it's a bit of a stretch to consider "Hey You" an official single.

Not even Miles Away? I don't know what is a harder flop, if not charting or not even considered to chart.

Warners clearly didn't want to issue them as singles in Australia, so they didn't promote them or apply to have them chart. When "4 Minutes" was released, it charted at #3 for a couple of weeks on the digital sales chart before Warners decided to make it an official single, then it debuted at #3 on the official main singles chart (it rose to #1 when the physical single was released). If 10 000 people suddenly went out and bought "Miles Away" this week, it still wouldn't chart on the official singles chart because Warners never issued it as a real single in Australia. I guess it's like an import - record companies don't really like seeing imports chart, because it's not something that they're actively marketing in that territory. A digital single that they don't register for the charts is pretty much the modern version of a physical import.

loom I like "Justify," but i agree with M that it's not much of a "song."

BTW- it's not like it's a heavily ACCLAIMED track. It's gotten some, but there's a reason it doesn't get much recurrent airplay, besides the fact that it's an aural sex adventure. :D

Carta- "hey You" was a single available to purchase. It wasn't a radio single or anything like that; it's semantics, really, as there are various types of "singles."

:thumbsup:

BTW- it's not like it's a heavily ACCLAIMED track. It's gotten some, but there's a reason it doesn't get much recurrent airplay, besides the fact that it's an aural sex adventure. :D

It got some of her best year-end positions in music magazine lists and was voted the sexiest song ever by Q Magazine. Though of course I'm sure you don't love all her ACCLAIMED tracks.

It's more about atmosphere than melody and is very much the modern day "Je t'aime... moi non plus". This is Madonna at her most daring and at the peak of her powers. I love how she used such an unconventional, experimental and seemingly uncommercial track with an explicit banned video to launch what is a no-brainer, her Greatest Hits, and it still becomes a huge US #1 hit. Pure genius. :dramatic::wow:

It's certainly an acquired taste though I suppose, some may not like the spoken bits and think she sounds like she has a sore throat. But equally, after "Like a Prayer" this is the one Madonna song that many haters love, one of her coolest, most credible records.

What do you think about "Erotica" then? :):gent::erotica:

BTW- it's not like it's a heavily ACCLAIMED track. It's gotten some, but there's a reason it doesn't get much recurrent airplay,

The not much of a song was in reference 2 'not much 2 sing 4 my sing-a-long with the audience part.'..well duh now. :chuckle:

Who cares if it doesn't get much of 'recurrent' airplay..it's actually one of her most cited tracks..it's fucking groundbreaking

that radio played it in the 1st place..

Bruce Pollock (USA) - The 7,500 Most Important Songs of 1944-2000 (2005)

Dave Marsh (USA) - Postscript (102 Songs) to The Heart of Rock & Soul (1998)

Michaelangelo Matos (USA) - Top 100 Singles of the 1990s (2001)

Q (UK) - The 1001 Best Songs Ever (2003)

Q (UK) - The Ultimate Music Collection (2005) No Order

Panorama (Norway) - The 30 Best Singles of the Year 1970-98 (1999)

Spex (Germany) - The Best Singles of the Century (1999) No Order

End of Year Lists

Village Voice (USA) - Singles of the Year

Face (UK) - Singles of the Year

Melody Maker (UK) - Singles of the Year

Rock de Lux (Spain) - Songs of the Year

It's generally held in high esteem..& they do actually still play it in Europe..now back on ur meds boo.