Lady Gaga's 'Alejandro' Video: A Guide To Its Madonna References

TOUR2008

Lady Gaga is the new CHRISTINA and BRITNEY mixed into one.

If she wants to be as big as Madonna she'll need classics like Vogue, Like A Prayer and Express Yourself to match the imagery.

Yes, but to be fair she has a few great songs and international hits at the same time very early in her career. She doesn't deserve half the criticism and half the praise she receives. Still she is the closest anyone ever got to Madonna.

And Madonna has a fair share of rip -offs herself, so I wouldn't be so harsh on Gaga.

YOU are :lol:

I never aspired to be a new Madonna, but now I may start to think about - but don't tell me I'm ripping her off when I release my first video... ;-)

^This track is kinda inferior to some of her other singles, though, and, it does have that Ace-of-Base sound to it. :0 So, not sure if it really builds on past releases.

Actually, I'm liking it better than Poker Face. ;)

WOW! Im definitely a fan of both. I appreciate the homages Gaga pays to M, and I thnk M does too, or at least I hope she does. I personally never compare them, because IMO, we can't compare Lady Gaga to Madonna until around the year 2034 (when she's contributed a few decades to pop culture with staying power). The video was clever, my jaw dropped a few times with the comparisons.

it's NONSENSE....the only "HOMAGE" she should be paying tribute to is ACE OF BASS.

I thought I was the only one that thought that. Saw a clip of that crap on the news and it reminded me of Ace of Bass.

I actually think Gaga (whom I do love) lacks a major component which Madonna did have...sexual charisma. Despite all the talents Gaga possesses, I actually don't see a lot of straight teenage boys saying how much they want to fuck her - which is something that was present with Madonna in the 80's and Britney in the late 90's. They were both pin-up girls. Outside the gay community, I am not sure heterosexual men find her as desirable as the sex kittens of past. Anyone else think so? I think men might be intrigued by her unusual appearance, but she doesn't ooze sexiness like so many female pop stars.

I have been tried to delineate what makes Madonna the Ultimate Female Pop Star:

1. Raw Intelligence (including business acumen)

2. Pop culture instincts (knowing what the next big thing/trend is)

3. A strong image/The Fashion element (the ability to inspire wannabes to dress like her)

4. Artistic vision and versatility (producing a quality, lasting product in multiple media outlets)

5. Industry Endurance and Massive Commercial Success (repeated huge successes of new projects that can spawn new era after new era)

6. Crossover Sex Appeal (is considered beautiful or sexy/desirable by both men and women or at least enough to achieve "pin-up girl status")

Am I missing anything?

When I apply this template to various female pop stars, most fall short in 1 or more categories. For example, Britney is considered to be sexy but not necessarily intelligent or in control of her artistic choices. P!NK is probably well-equipt in many of these categories, but she isn't known as a fashion goddess or a huge commercial juggernaut (and before anyone says how big I'm Not Dead or Funhouse became, remember that she debuted same time as Britney and Christina and has sold half of what Britters has done worldwide, and currently about 6 million less than Xtina).

^^

People still think she's hermaphrodite. Is that why? You can try searching on google. It's still coming up in top 5 suggestions.

Would also add doing things in her work to address cultural/societal issues- most other female pop stars fall short on that, but that is one thing Stephanie has attempted to do at times (which makes her an effective "wanna-be" in that respect). Ms. Aguilera would like to think she has done that, with her "empowerment" schpeel, but she hasn't been very successful at it.

Nonetheless, Stephanie has a long ways to go.

Not her best video but still head and shoulders above any other pop promo that's doing the rounds. Shame Madonna didn't see fit to use Klein's genius for a promo video, not just tour backdrops.

That's exactly why she hasn't used him (so far) He creates great images, brilliant 4 backdrops..

But obviously this Gaga video lacks real 'direction'..it doesn't gel..'t is just a series of images.

I actually think Gaga (whom I do love) lacks a major component which Madonna did have...sexual charisma. Despite all the talents Gaga possesses, I actually don't see a lot of straight teenage boys saying how much they want to fuck her - which is something that was present with Madonna in the 80's and Britney in the late 90's. They were both pin-up girls. Outside the gay community, I am not sure heterosexual men find her as desirable as the sex kittens of past. Anyone else think so? I think men might be intrigued by her unusual appearance, but she doesn't ooze sexiness like so many female pop stars.

I have been tried to delineate what makes Madonna the Ultimate Female Pop Star:

1. Raw Intelligence (including business acumen)

2. Pop culture instincts (knowing what the next big thing/trend is)

3. A strong image/The Fashion element (the ability to inspire wannabes to dress like her)

4. Artistic vision and versatility (producing a quality, lasting product in multiple media outlets)

5. Industry Endurance and Massive Commercial Success (repeated huge successes of new projects that can spawn new era after new era)

6. Crossover Sex Appeal (is considered beautiful or sexy/desirable by both men and women or at least enough to achieve "pin-up girl status")

Am I missing anything?

When I apply this template to various female pop stars, most fall short in 1 or more categories. For example, Britney is considered to be sexy but not necessarily intelligent or in control of her artistic choices. P!NK is probably well-equipt in many of these categories, but she isn't known as a fashion goddess or a huge commercial juggernaut (and before anyone says how big I'm Not Dead or Funhouse became, remember that she debuted same time as Britney and Christina and has sold half of what Britters has done worldwide, and currently about 6 million less than Xtina).

you are misssing MADONNA's sharp/wicked sense of humour (sadly....missing these past few years)

I was just thinking that the other day when I saw the Kelis video

Yay. It will probably be ignored because it isn't considered current or pushing the square in the world of pop. I swear to God. People have such poor taste and throw around meaningless words like talent. It's a bit of a joke really. :rotfl:

That's exactly why she hasn't used him (so far) He creates great images, brilliant 4 backdrops..

But obviously this Gaga video lacks real 'direction'..it doesn't gel..'t is just a series of images.

I totally agree.

I agree with you.

As I've said on numerous occasions - GaGa is really fucking ugly. I'm not saying it to be mean spirited or reductive but the woman is not the sort of person people want to fantasize about being with or actually being. She has a truly unfortunate facial structure. Talent aside - and I may be generalizing here, but I think most people innately want their icons to at least be attractive and desirable. I know I do.

I agree with you.

She has a truly unfortunate facial structure.

very reminiscent of john merrick's.

very reminiscent of john merrick's.

That's very demeaning to John Merrick ya know. Facially she has more in common with his afterbirth.