US promotion of Celebration

motherandfather03

Maybe Madonna could try, you know, actually performing a song on some show in the US?

I really don't see why radio should play someone who doesn't play their own song. :wacko:

She did promotion for those shitty books on Oprah, but she hasn't performed a song in years. :thumbsdown:

And before someone goes "butt heer in my cuntrie shee nevr sing on TV and shee go to noomber one" - the US is a much more competitive market.

Maybe Madonna could try, you know, actually performing a song on some show in the US?

I really don't see why radio should play someone who doesn't play their own song. :wacko:

Those things are completely unrelated. Madonna did not perform most of her singles before 2003 on US tv and she almost never had problem with radio.

That advert is on Times Square, so that surely cost a lot for Warner to get that spot.

Anyway, this promo shit is so tiring, do you realize basically you're complaining that Madonna should earn MORE money than she does now? And that's ignoring the FACT that all this promo you're wishing for can't even get close to her tour grosses... It's so transparent that the people who complain about the lack of Madonna promo night and day are those who make fun of "Janet Jackson sized flops" and about Mariah "only" selling 1.2 million albums on the back of a massive promo tour.

oh, wow, the tour gross will be used as an excuse for anything.

what did the fans lean on before she had these big tour grosses?

charts? :nocomment:

"Relying" on tour grosses is still better than "OMG Madonna is so lazy she can't even promote her own work, she DEFINITELY does not care anymore!!!", acting like she just got signed to a record label and her career depended on selling $0.99 singles.

"Relying" on tour grosses is still better than "OMG Madonna is so lazy she can't even promote her own work, she DEFINITELY does not care anymore!!!", acting like she just got signed to a record label and her career depended on selling $0.99 singles.

In that case, she can stop doing these commercial songs that sound like they were tailored for the radio.

The songs that get the best reaction on tours are the hits.

:thumbsup:

In that case, she can stop doing these commercial songs that sound like they were tailored for the radio.

The songs that get the best reaction on tours are the hits.

:thumbsup:

Well the past hits were tailored for radio as well, it's not like something like "Bedtime Story" or "American Life" became crowd favourites.

And why not assume that's the music she wants to do? She will always want to make people get up and dance and give them a good time.

Not to mention that just because she does not perform on US shows, it doesn't mean in most parts of the world releasing a catchy single is not enough for a decent hit...

I just don't see why it's either "she has to promote her shit and compete with Mariah Carey" or "shouldn't make music that sounds even remotely similar to what's on the radio", why does Madonna have to be one or the another? To me it still seems some people are fans only because they can say Madonna is the most successful female artist ever and without Madonna doing promo, they are afraid that fans of other female artists are going to ridicule them. I know the Pulse forum is based around this, but still...

I also don't see who would care about the lipsynch promo tours of 1998 or the 2000 promo shows when we got a DWT or any other tour in retrospect?

She has the biggest tour ever, so it's all good in the fan world. :thumbsup:

No, it's all good in the fan world because she's still making music, creating fantastic shows and is not slowing down. I'm just saying just because she could sell 300,000 more CDs and 500,000 more downloads in the US with promo, it shouldn't matter much for the fans. It's her record label who's losing money, we won't be getting less of her because she has the 49th best selling album of the year instead of the 29th.

Those things are completely unrelated. Madonna did not perform most of her singles before 2003 on US tv and she almost never had problem with radio.

That advert is on Times Square, so that surely cost a lot for Warner to get that spot.

Anyway, this promo shit is so tiring, do you realize basically you're complaining that Madonna should earn MORE money than she does now? And that's ignoring the FACT that all this promo you're wishing for can't even get close to her tour grosses... It's so transparent that the people who complain about the lack of Madonna promo night and day are those who make fun of "Janet Jackson sized flops" and about Mariah "only" selling 1.2 million albums on the back of a massive promo tour.

I just think that,when you release a new product,you need to get out there and let the world know about it.It doesn't take much effort for Madonna to make a few TV appearances this week or next week.Is that really asking too much? We're not in the 80s anymore,when she could release a new album and it would sell millions instantly.These days,artists have to get out there and WORK.

Plus,it would be a nice treat for the fans.Are you telling me that you DON'T wanna see Madonna on 'Oprah' or 'Ellen'? You DON'T want to see a fresh,new interview and (possible) performance?

I just think that,when you release a new product,you need to get out there and let the world know about it.It doesn't take much effort for Madonna to make a few TV appearances this week or next week.Is that really asking too much? We're not in the 80s anymore,when she could release a new album and it would sell millions instantly.These days,artists have to get out there and WORK.

Plus,it would be a nice treat for the fans.Are you telling me that you DON'T wanna see Madonna on 'Oprah' or 'Ellen'? You DON'T want to see a fresh,new interview and (possible) performance?

Even if she went to US and UK tv shows, it would hardly make an impact for the "world". Do you think Madonna does not realize that it's no longer the 80s and she does not get the same sales without promo? You think she's losing sleep over that and is desperate to find a solution? Nope, she herself said people are downloading music anyway but it's a live performance that you can't download.

As for asking for too much, we don't know what goes behind the scenes, we don't know who organizes and pays for promo tours. However, I can see Madonna not wanting any tv appearances, she's busy without them on other projects. Yes, artists have to get out there to work, NEW artists, who might be dropped if their second album does not sell half what the first did. Madonna is NOT in this league, she has one of the biggest recording contracts in the music industry and she worked hard for that via touring.

As for nice treat for the fans, well I can only speak for myself, but I'm certainly not dying to have another stupid interview about her gym routine, her children, regretting the Sex book or not, feeling about being 51, exhausting tours... No matter what era it is, her interviews are almost interchangeable and they don't even scratch the surface of the music. In this case, they would ask about "so do you still enjoy singing Like A Virgin" or something and that would be all. Same for these live performances, I don't actually revisit these tv performances, in Europe the majority were lipsynched anyway, apart from something like "Little Star" on Oprah, we have so much better on her tour DVDs. She promoted ROL the most yet that album has the WORST ever live performances, half of them was lipsynched and the other half sounded bad, I don't think of any of that as a treat to her fans.

I just don't see the point of always saying "Why can't Madonna promote like (insert currently hyped artist)?" instead of accepting Madonna was never in this league and never will be, even if fans are committing suicide at the lack of her chart success.

Like I said, in most parts of the world, if Madonna releases a new single and the video, it always gets decent attention. It's not like "Celebration" is being ignored, neither would it be treated differently in those places if Madonna sang it on Oprah. Neither would US radio play Madonna as if she was BEP if Madonna appeared on 5 tv shows.

So basically she's a bad singer and a boring interviewee :lmao:

I swear, the fans will come up with any excuse to support whatever it is she's doing or not doing.

If people were as supportive of their partners and families as some fans are supportive of M, the world would be full of love :vanitybonet:

So basically she's a bad singer and a boring interviewee :lmao:

I swear, the fans will come up with any excuse to support whatever it is she's doing or not doing.

If people were as supportive of their partners and families as some fans are supportive of M, the world would be full of love :vanitybonet:

:rolleyes: No, they ask her the bad questions, because they think their audience wants to hear about stuff like that.

I think she sucked vocally on most of the ROL promo tour yes, but not "basically she's a bad singer"...

And I swear some "fans" are obsessed with ruining every Madonna forum into a bitchfest of "Madonna should do this and that and how dare you support her when she's obviously SHIT and XY does it much better now".

No wonder so many stopped posting.

:rolleyes: No, they ask her the bad questions, because they think their audience wants to hear about stuff like that.

No...

interviews with major stars are set up in advance and there's a huge list of do's and don'ts. if they ask the wrong questions, they're never granted another interview.

You can't seriously believe that otherwise no-one would ask dirty questions or provoke her.

John Norris asked one wrong Q and she flipped out. :lmao:

You people are so naive.

lol I don't care if she never has a top 10 single ever again, anywhere in the world. I just want her to perform because she's so good doing it and I want to download that performance in HQ and watch it over and over again hehe, not because I want her to do promo and reach #1 or #99, whatever.

No...

interviews with major stars are set up in advance and there's a huge list of do's and don'ts. if they ask the wrong questions, they're never granted another interview.

You can't seriously believe that otherwise no-one would ask dirty questions or provoke her.

You people are so naive.

Huh? What does this have to do with anything? Of course the interviews are set up, but you think Madonna's team forbids anyone to ask interesting questions about the music and they only want her to get asked about the same shit? They get the questions and they are fine with it, because it's still exposure for Madonna, but it does not make interesting for the FANS.

I don't see what's the excuse in this, I'm just saying I don't obsess over her past major tv interviews so I don't get upset if she releases an album without any of that unlike the rest of the fans. Is it wrong to think that in your opinion?

but you think Madonna's team forbids anyone to ask interesting questions about the music and they only want her to get asked about the same shit?

Madonna has never been good at answering questions about the music. She always starts talking about something else instead.

all of a sudden some are trying to portray things as if madonna didn't build her career on hit singles :lmao:

Talk about twisting someone's words. Yes she BUILT her career on hit singles and she continues to have them....she just had one of the biggest of her career last year AND SHE DIDN'T EVEN GO ON OPRAH OR ELLEN....OH MY! What fan WOULDN'T want to see a new Madonna interview on Oprah or Ellen or a performance on a show? But the fans that HARP ON IT CONSTANTLY as if THEIR very OWN lives depend on MADONNA sitting down with Oprah fucking Winfrey need to GET A GRIP. Madonna has NEVER been one of those kinds of artists to jump on every talk show...why would she be now all of a sudden? She's done more promo this decade than she's ever done. "I really don't see why radio should play someone who doesn't play their own song." is such a childish and uninformed statement. So Madonna goes on Oprah, Ellen, X-Factor, AI...whatever and she STILL doesn't get played...then what? Because that is the likely scenario. Radio isn't exactly JUMPING all over Whitney's new songs despite the fact her album sales increased this week from going on Oprah. She sold 85-90k more than she did the week before, most likely next week she will drop again. So ALL THAT PROMO and she couldn't even gain 100k in sales? AND she has R&B/urban on her side who are generally a bit more loyal to their artists then pop radio. Madonna doesn't have a "crutch" like that, dance stations count for very little in the grand scheme of things.

I don't know what planet some of you fans live on but WAKE THE EFF UP. Turn on your local radio station and listen for all the 45-55 year old pop stars they are itching to play....you'll be sitting awhile. It's 2009 Madonna is a 51 year old woman trying to get played on Top 40 radio stations whose demographic is primarily girls who were just being born when Take A Bow was a hit. I know we expect Madonna to defy every "rule" or "norm" out there, but she can't defy everything. You mention her fans are naive, ironic coming from someone who thinks Madonna promoting on every show would automatically guarantee her some airplay/sales. Her hits in the US are flukes these days, not the norm and it's been that way for a while. So she does what any smart person would do and puts her focus to where she will see RESULTS and that focus is primarily on touring.

:scared: who stepped on your toes?

:lmao:

the tour, the TOUR!!!

Well she did choose to sign with LIVE NATION who's primary focus is THE TOUR. That in itself should be enough to tell people that things are probably NOT going to be like they always have been in the past. Just because some of her fans can't move with the times doesn't mean she has to stay stuck too. She's always ahead of the curve...I'm sure you know this.

Madonna should do something. Hell even Patty Duke is doing promo for her upcoming DVD release.

but is she joining kaballah, getting a decades younger boyfriend, pimping out her daughter in a slutty wedding gown, leaving typos and sonic flaws on her final retrospective on the warner years, possibly adding black bars to scenes in her dvd, and moving on for greener pastures after having a hot mess "duet" with a currently-popular rapper who didn't even rerecord his demo?

no, i'm morbidly curious. other than being alive, what is she doing to promote her season dvd?

No...

You people are so naive.

I can't find that part of the interview anymore....does anyone have it?

No, it's all good in the fan world because she's still making music, creating fantastic shows and is not slowing down. I'm just saying just because she could sell 300,000 more CDs and 500,000 more downloads in the US with promo, it shouldn't matter much for the fans. It's her record label who's losing money, we won't be getting less of her because she has the 49th best selling album of the year instead of the 29th.

Everything you've posted in this thread. I agree 100%. It's actually how I feel. And I never even thought about what you said in bold, but maybe subconsciously. But you're so right about we won't get less of her just because the record label is losing money. And I think people keep forgetting a tour is ultimate promotion for any artist. I've said this many times, but some think she should be whoring herself out everywhere and while I wouldn't mind seeing her here and there, in the end, she really doesn't need to do that when she can sell out concert shows. I also think you hit the nail on the wall regarding how some are so adamant about moaning about Madonna not doing TV appearances and other promotions like artists like Mariah or Janet who do such promotion, yet they can't sell out concert shows like Madonna can. In the end, that's where Madonna is going to make most of her money. So I can totally understand why she isn't going to waste her time promoting a single when she can be concentrating on the the concerts which is her bread and butter. As some still don't realize, Madonna is paid up front with her albums. She makes the music and makes her videos and than goes on tour. Anything else, is a treat. And in the past, she rarely did anymore than just making videos and touring. It's only this decade she's done much more promotion on TV and even mini-promo gigs.