"Revolver" Daily Mediabase Airplay Report

Guest dicktracy

US radio hates Madonna so why even bother anymore?

This song screams US hit... and if it would have been Rihanna or whoever they would play it

Now I know it hasn't been released to radio yet and that it just leaked yesterday... but i'm pretty sure that it won't do any wonders in the future anyhow even if it gets an official release...

sad but true

Guest dicktracy

I'm not completely convinced that Madonna is done in the US. I know that radio doesn't embrace her as it used to but I don't think she's avoided. However, I can see Rihanna, Britney, or the Pussycat Dolls having a Top 5 (if not #1) with this song. It's so catchy it's almost sick. IF it is released commercially and it has a proper video but goes nowhere in the States THEN I will concede that she's done and radio killed the video star...

They are under 30yo. (OK, except PCD lead singer is 31)

I don't buy into this age argument

look at Mariah... old and useless yet gets heavy airplay

US radio is anti-MADONNA... that's the problem here

I think she still didn't survive the American Life radio boycott backlash really and also i'm afraid that in the US she is kinda looked on as a "gay act" nowadays...

I remember when 4 Mintues was out and some radios didn't want to play it because they didn't want to be seen as "gay channels"... and this had only to do with Madonna's name being attached to the song...

This is a problem.

In Europe they seem not to bother but for some reason it seems to be a problem in the US.

US radio is anti-MADONNA... that's the problem here

I think she still didn't survive the American Life radio boycott backlash really and also i'm afraid that in the US she is kinda looked on as a "gay act" nowadays...

I remember when 4 Mintues was out and some radios didn't want to play it because they didn't want to be seen as "gay channels"... and this had only to do with Madonna's name being attached to the song...

This is a problem.

No. That's just excuse that's convenient for the fans, as it's easy to blame someone.

The problem is that she's singing songs that people want to hear from a young, preferably black hot chick.

If she made something more serious but not preachy and obnoxious she'd have more success in the US.

The same "backlash" would happen if Rihanna suddenly started singing songs fit for Barbra Streisand.

Kids cannot relate to a 51-year-old in skimpy outfits, and more grown up audiences expect something better from Madonna.

Also, and this is very important, Madonna DOES NOT PROMOTE IN THE US. It's a huge market, and she'd have to promote her product. Why the hell would radio play her songs if she doesn't play them herself??

Guest dicktracy

No. That's just excuse that's convenient for the fans, as it's easy to blame someone.

The problem is that she's singing songs that people want to hear from a young, preferably black hot chick.

If she made something more serious but not preachy and obnoxious she'd have more success in the US.

The same "backlash" would happen if Rihanna suddenly started singing songs fit for Barbra Streisand.

Kids cannot relate to a 51-year-old in skimpy outfits, and more grown up audiences expect something better from Madonna.

Also, and this is very important, Madonna DOES NOT PROMOTE IN THE US. It's a huge market, and she'd have to promote her product. Why the hell would radio play her songs if she doesn't play them herself??

Sir, you do have a point.

well if madonna made something more serious but not preachy and obnoxious, i guess she's no longer "madonna" that i know :scared:

Guest dicktracy

well if madonna made something more serious but not preachy and obnoxious, i guess she's no longer "madonna" that i know :scared:

Sounds like you haven't known her as long as some of us...

I can totally see Pud calling you a Ray-of-Lighter or something like that.

It's all cool.

Agreed 100%. No more excuses. Good music + promotion is the answer.

Guest sasca1971

Agreed 100%. No more excuses. Good music + promotion is the answer.

Yeah I think Madonna has made a couple of mistakes in here career trying to balance the adult contemporary music crowd and the dance crowd and instead of doing both at the same time - she wondered into the dance only crowd. Look at Music. She had a great crossover hit with Music and even Don't Tell me and WIFLFAG were both adult oriented ballads and dance hits. But since then, she has veered mostly into the dance arena. I think it was a huge mistake on American Life not to capitalize on great ballads on that album - like Easy Life or better yet - Intervention. So when she puts out this great dance music or dance fluff even - they won't play that stuff on adult radio and top 40 radio won't play it because she is old. Mariah has the benefit because she is black. She gets pop airplay and R and B airplay and when she puts out those ballads that can also be dance hits, she gets dance airplay and adult airplay.

You have to remember that Madonna started out a bit older than alot of these acts today. She started at 25/26 when most then or even today start out at 19/20. And she was 42/43 when the smash Music and Don't Tell me came out. Not bad. Anyway, I think she should make dance hits and ballads and please herself and the gays (with dance stuff) who are the ones paying 300 bucks to see her concerts and then also do some amazing ballads and please the adult fans (who are fans but not going to go out and buy the dance stuff) and who will also pay 300 bucks to see her shows.

:)

I'm sorry to say that, but to me the problem is the US radio stations...

I mean, I would agree with you if Madonna hadn't any success outside of the US, but she still has elsewhere. So the problem has to be mostly with US radio stations.

One spin ? I guess it's a start.

:)

Warner is too busy trying to promote Celebration on myspace. :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Maybe Madonna could try, you know, actually performing a song on some show in the US?

I really don't see why radio should play someone who doesn't play their own song. :wacko:

She did promotion for those shitty books on Oprah, but she hasn't performed a song in years. :thumbsdown:

And before someone goes "butt heer in my cuntrie shee nevr sing on TV and shee go to noomber one" - the US is a much more competitive market.

Exactly! So true. Madonna does nothing to deserve airplay. If you turn on the TV in the US you're gonna see artists on each and every show trying to promote their music. The competition is huge. You should try hard to have airplay.