Darren Hayes Comments On Revolver

Guest CUBB

^I give you "Oh Father", but the rest? "FL" is a blatant and admitted rip off of Donna Summer, "Isaac" has the hook lifted from a late 80s hit, not to mention it has a lazy chorus that recalls "Frozen", do you really call these songs as non-commercial or that has her heart and soul?

If anything, it's "Candy Shop" that has her heart and soul most in the recent years, she's been obsessed with that song and even though it leaked more than 6 months before HC official release, she kept it the same way and opened 60 shows with it. And it's still the opening song for nearly 30 new dates this summer... But it's impossible that Madonna loves it because some of her hardcore fans detest it, right?

Maybe it's the case of you wanting Madonna's soul to be something else than it actually is? Also, HC has several songs that follow her themes, like dancing making feel happy, not wanting to stop, going on forever, aren't those THE Madonna messages?

well i think songs like frozen, isaac, future lovers, oh father, live to tell, secret, etc have way more level than candy shop, and yes, i think those are a bit less commercial, just my opinion.. maybe heart and soul was a wrong way to put it. english is not my first language but i think its not hard to get what i was talking about. i love her HC album but still.. i also kind of hate it. justin timberlake, kayne, pharrell? puhlease. shes madonna, a trendsetter, not a trend follower.

Guest dicktracy
^Actually, has-beens are created when they stick to the same formula, not when they try to be contemporary.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Her output from ROL-COADF seems to have made it easy for people to put Madonna in this euro-disco "box".

That's not her. She's moved on from Orbit, Mirwais and Price....aside from a few one offs here and there in the future, it's safe to say their time in the sun with Madonna is DONE. How people can interpret this as bad blood between Madonna and Stuart baffles me, especially considering he JUST did a remix for her latest single. :confused:. Trust and believe if there was animosity between them, his remix wouldn't have made the single. In fact Stuart has been around (not as a producer the whole time of course) for longer than most. 8 years now they have had a professional relationship.

She's doing what she always does. She uses them and moves on to the next sound SHE WANTS to do. Madonna has moved on soundwise, maybe her fans need to do the same.....or just play ROL, Music, AL and COADF and enjoy the way it USED to be.

And not to be rude because I actually like some of Savage Garden's work but his whole mentality that she should go and work with the hot producers she's worked with in the past is probably the very same mentality that made his own career stall a bit. What was it M said to Shep? "I don't care how hot something is you can't do the same thing twice......EVER!"

So once again I have to say THANK GOD Madonna DOES NOT listen to her fans.

Guest ursaminorjim
...What was it M said to Shep? "I don't care how hot something is you can't do the same thing twice......EVER!"

I think she's ignored that edict once or twice over the span of her career, though. :lol:

What was it M said to Shep? "I don't care how hot something is you can't do the same thing twice......EVER!"

But... isn't HC that you love so a 'throwback' to her early years? I mean she IS from Detroit and all. And people thought she was BLACK! And isn't Devil a reheated Justin/Nelly track? So I guess it's fair to say Madonna has CHANGED HER MIND.

Guest hot revolver

i didnt kno who he was but thank god for google.

anyways, revolver is da shit!! i think madge has gotten it right this time

But... isn't HC that you love so a 'throwback' to her early years? I mean she IS from Detroit and all. And people thought she was BLACK! And isn't Devil a reheated Justin/Nelly track? So I guess it's fair to say Madonna has CHANGED HER MIND.

The mood and vibe of the songs on HC is a throwback to her early years songs. "Nothings gonna stop me"....."when I dance I feel free"......"on and on the beat goes"......the playfulness of CS....Dance 2night.....all feel more at home with the playful spunkiness of M/LAV/TB albums than her last few albums where everything was darker and more serious. It's a "throwback" in terms of the style of music, people considered "Madonna" R&B/Pop at the time and people consider HC R&B/pop now.

It's the mood, the tone, the spirit and some lyrics of HC that harkens back more to the early days more than the actual production values. Can you name a song from HC that you feel is a blatant ripoff of a song on Madonna or LAV?? Good luck with that....

Guest ursaminorjim

No, but "Devil wouldn't recognize you" is all but a rewrite of "Rehab," "What comes around" and "Cry me a river."

No, but "Devil wouldn't recognize you" is all but a rewrite of "Rehab," "What comes around" and "Cry me a river."

Production wise they are similar. But that's what is current, that's the sound she obviously was going for. She's still not ripping herself off though. Up until HC she hadn't done the R&B/Pop sound of the 00's in her work.

Guest ursaminorjim

But she's ripped off herself in the past. "Into the groove"/"Causing a commotion," "Justify my love"/"Erotica," even "Vogue"/"Deeper and deeper" (and not just because of the self-referential quotations).

But my point is that her admonishing Shep Pettibone not to repeat himself obviously wasn't a consideration when "Devil wouldn't recognize you" was being recorded.

Guest nothingfails0603

I'm not even a fan of Darren at all, but I don't see why he deserves to be attacked for stating his opinion. Some people prefer the electronic dance direction than Lil Wayne shit. Don't we already have Mariah for that? Madonna was so "different" from all the other diva acts and then suddenly she's doing the same thing as them. Why should Darren be attacked as a queen for preferring Confessions to Hard Candy? Apparently consumers did as well.

Guest nothingfails0603
Because his music is shit, therefore his opinion doesn't count. :lmao:

lol true, I'd rather be forced to listen to nothing but 4 Minutes and Devil Wouldn't Recognize You for the rest of my life than "I knew I loved you before I met you":lol:

But still, as a fan he's entitled to his own opinion, much like those who think Bedtime Stories is the magnum opus of Madonna's career.

Guest ursaminorjim

I think it's also because he's so feeble in his tweet. I mean, at least when Trent Reznor called out Chris Cornell it was accurate and funny.

I almost want WB to dig into the Madonna vault and piece together another album of material recorded from 1997 to 2005 that did not make it onto the final tracklistings of Ray of Light, Music, American Life and Confessions on a Dancefloor. Have SP remix it, and release it next month under the title Confessions II. Just so we can see how a sequel to that album wouldn't be a blockbuster. In a climate where a triple platinum album is like going seven or eight times platinum in 2001, I would love to know what Hard Candy was supposed to do in sales, especially considering how she hasn't had a studio album move staggering units since, arguably, True Blue.

Darren Hayes spoke without knowing what he was talking about. It was confirmed weeks ago that there won't be a Madonna/Lil' Wayne collaboration. For him to even go on some cynical little tirade about what doesn't even exist (and therefore he hasn't heard) makes him look ignorant. Maybe even envious. Must have been a real kick in the groin for him to hear gossip that Madonna would work with Lil Wayne (who did not record a silly idol-worshipping cover to "Dress You Up") while knowing the closest he'd get to her would be to buy a concert ticket.

Guest nothingfails0603
I almost want WB to dig into the Madonna vault and piece together another album of material recorded from 1997 to 2005 that did not make it onto the final tracklistings of Ray of Light, Music, American Life and Confessions on a Dancefloor. Have SP remix it, and release it next month under the title Confessions II. Just so we can see how a sequel to that album wouldn't be a blockbuster. In a climate where a triple platinum album is like going seven or eight times platinum in 2001, I would love to know what Hard Candy was supposed to do in sales, especially considering how she hasn't had a studio album move staggering units since, arguably, True Blue.

I actually think that album would be better than Hard Candy.

I dunno, I don't mind the r&b/guest-stars thing when it's Mariah, Beyonce, Mary J. Blige, Rihanna, etc...., but Madonna is supposed to be head and shoulders over the competition and she's always done her own thing with a "fuck the masses" thing, yet IMO Hard Candy is an album that any of the aforementioned artists could've done just as well. She's always been so individualistic and different from her contemporaries. The reason people are still disappointed in the album is because Madonna can do so much better than an album Mariah can do in her sleep.

I think Warner at least expected Hard Candy to sell a million. If COADF could do it, why not HC with the biggest single since "Music" and with several A-list producers?

I dunno, I don't mind the r&b/guest-stars thing when it's Mariah, Beyonce, Mary J. Blige, Rihanna, etc...., but Madonna is supposed to be head and shoulders over the competition and she's always done her own thing with a "fuck the masses" thing, yet IMO Hard Candy is an album that any of the aforementioned artists could've done just as well. She's always been so individualistic and different from her contemporaries. The reason people are still disappointed in the album is because Madonna can do so much better than an album Mariah can do in her sleep.

I think Warner at least expected Hard Candy to sell a million. If COADF could do it, why not HC with the biggest single since "Music" and with several A-list producers?

Right, Madonna's previous music has never sounded similar to what others have had out during the same period. Songs like "Vogue," "Rescue Me," "Deeper and Deeper" were sonically unique, and weren't at all akin to other music at the time by...say...Cathy Dennis, Taylor Dayne, KWS, or Blackbox.

It's kidding oneself to believe that a Confessions Part II, released by a label that is apathetic to promoting new material by the soon departing artist, during a period where album sales are at an all time low would do better than Hard Candy. Meanwhile, I can't think of any Mariah album that sounds anything like it.

Guest Danny86

Yeah, we know you think that anything that sells below 1 million is a massive and embarrassing flop and that "if AL sold 700k, then HC with the big producers should have done twice as more", but it doesn't work that way. Not even Madonna is immune to CDs going out of fashion. And before you say that there was Lil Wayne selling 3 million, then should I remind you when Madonna had her biggest single in 10 years in 2000, she only moved 3 million albums yet there were some young acts who sold more than a million albums within a single week in the same year? The gap was always there, it just that they were all among the multi-platinums back then. I agree with Etips that she did not have a massive selling studio album since True Blue, in 1989 Paula Abdul sold almost twice as more albums than her.

I don't believe that Warner had any concrete expectations for sales of an artist who had announced her departure from the label half a year before that, which got a huge business coverage and her 25 years at Warners were belittled in every single article. They were probably very satisfied with Madonna scoring her second Double Platinum single though. They only managed to plug Madonna to one tv show in the US an the rest of the promo she did was basically tour teaser, so I don't see why she was meant to sell a million by default, just because you draw the line of success there.

Oh and for the record, Madonna is still head and shoulders above the competition, but you can achieve that while working with the same people. She did this in most of the nineties (sometimes she did not, but that's another story). And it's been said a million times that 75% of HC has nothing to do with any of the "current" music that's "being done by everyone", yet you always describe it was if Madonna basically re-recorded Mariah's Rainbow album with a chock full of rent-a-rappers.

When did she ever have "fuck the masses" attitude when producing songs? Even Erotica had some straight out commercial stuff (mostly the singles) and AL was based on her previous success with Mirwais... But yeah, she was totally working against music with mass appeal until 2008 and it's just a coincidence that she scored the most top 10 hits on Billboard, right?

Guest Danny86
Meanwhile, I can't think of any Mariah album that sounds anything like it.

It's in the works, Mariah announced today on Twitter that she's working with Timbaland. Too bad she can't enlist Pharrell again as "Say Somethin'" flopped in the massive-Mimi era.

but Madonna is supposed to be head and shoulders over the competition and she's always done her own thing with a "fuck the masses" thing,

She was capable of doing that a lot more pre-American Life. Afterwards she hasn't been able to re-capture the interest of radio to play her songs except in Europe and obviously she seems disatisfied with that, otherwise she may have not created Hard Candy.

Madonna is respected more for her relevance after nearly 3 decades in the music inducstry more than she is for her albums. She has the pressure to constantly remain relevant and it seems that's what's taken the front seat of her thoughts as opposed to creating an edgy album.

Guest nothingfails0603
Right, Madonna's previous music has never sounded similar to what others have had out during the same period. Songs like "Vogue," "Rescue Me," "Deeper and Deeper" were sonically unique, and weren't at all akin to other music at the time by...say...Cathy Dennis, Taylor Dayne, KWS, or Blackbox.

It's kidding oneself to believe that a Confessions Part II, released by a label that is apathetic to promoting new material by the soon departing artist, during a period where album sales are at an all time low would do better than Hard Candy. Meanwhile, I can't think of any Mariah album that sounds anything like it.

I didn't say Confessions II would DO better, I said it'd probably BE better