Darren Hayes Comments On Revolver

Guest CUBB

Guest nothingfails0603
When did she ever have "fuck the masses" attitude when producing songs? Even Erotica had some straight out commercial stuff (mostly the singles) and AL was based on her previous success with Mirwais... But yeah, she was totally working against music with mass appeal until 2008 and it's just a coincidence that she scored the most top 10 hits on Billboard, right?

Did ROL sound like anything out in 1998? That was the year it was all about Celine. How about Music in 2000, or American Life in 2003 or Confessions in 2005? Did any of those albums sound like the biggest seller of their given year?

HC was a faceless product that just happened to have Madonna on the cover. That is the only album in Madonna's career where it doesn't feel Madonna-ish, it's like they laid down the music, she walked into the studio and laid vocals, and then the producers did the rest. It was typical Timbaland/Pharrel by numbers and ANY other artist could do the same thing. It's no different than a fucking Stock Aiken Waterman album from the late 1980's.

Sorry dude, but there is nothing you can do that can convince me that Devil Wouldn't Recognize You is anything more than What Goes Around with a different vocal track. It's the worst album of Madonna's career and anything will be better. Even Mariah's E=MC2 was better IMO (at least that album had Side Effects, For The Record and I Stay In Love, which piss all over Candy Shop any day IMO), and that's sad.

And Darren Hayes has the right to an opinion that Confessions and Stuart were much better than Hard Candy was. Some of us agree.

I loved ALL of Madonna's work with Stewart Price. His work on her tours has been phenomenal. I wish she'd do more with him!!!!

Guest nothingfails0603

I am curious how many people who think HC is the second coming of ROL/LAP would think it's unlistenable garbage if Janet or Mariah released it.

Did ROL sound like anything out in 1998? That was the year it was all about Celine. How about Music in 2000, or American Life in 2003 or Confessions in 2005? Did any of those albums sound like the biggest seller of their given year?

HC was a faceless product that just happened to have Madonna on the cover. That is the only album in Madonna's career where it doesn't feel Madonna-ish, it's like they laid down the music, she walked into the studio and laid vocals, and then the producers did the rest. It was typical Timbaland/Pharrel by numbers and ANY other artist could do the same thing. It's no different than a fucking Stock Aiken Waterman album from the late 1980's.

Sorry dude, but there is nothing you can do that can convince me that Devil Wouldn't Recognize You is anything more than What Goes Around with a different vocal track. It's the worst album of Madonna's career and anything will be better. Even Mariah's E=MC2 was better IMO (at least that album had Side Effects, For The Record and I Stay In Love, which piss all over Candy Shop any day IMO), and that's sad.

And Darren Hayes has the right to an opinion that Confessions and Stuart were much better than Hard Candy was. Some of us agree.

Oh PLEASE. Do yourself a favor and go back and actually listen to her early music, you know...the 80's and it's all there. People who say COAD was a return to her early days are clearly reaching, Hard Candy is the real deal. It's ALL HER. The fact that you don't like it doesn't make it "not her."

Guest ursaminorjim
That is the only album in Madonna's career where it doesn't feel Madonna-ish, it's like they laid down the music, she walked into the studio and laid vocals, and then the producers did the rest.

I think it feels more like Madonna than the two that came before it, certainly. But the scenario you described sounds like most of Madonna's albums, really. I mean, the only album I can say for sure that she had a large hand in writing was American Life.

If I were to pick between HC and COAD, I'd pick COAD!! For which was more like her early days?:: Niether one really imo.

Hard Candy was supposed to be Madonna's commercial come back in the states and it failed. The songs are boring and generic. The whole project came off too cheesy. Give me Confessions and American Life anyday over Hard Candy.

And some of us DONT. CONFESSIONS IMO is a gigantic mesh (mess) of WEIRD colorless sounds set to erratic tempos w / THIN lyrics sprinkled on top. All generically meshed into each other like on the "dance" channel of MUSIC CHOICE. SP is a 1 trick pony. He didnt do anything for Madonna that was the least bit interesting or new for her. Heck 90% of the whole cd sounds like a water down knock off to almost every Madonna club mix over the last 20 years. Like listening to the miami remix of DCFMA over and over and over and over. It was a EASY cd for her to do. Shes made music like that in some way or another sounded like it already. I'm glad hes gone and I hope Madonna never works with him again. You and Darren Hayes can go sip on "cherry cola" if you dont like it.

Edited by hesser

Guest ursaminorjim

Well, enough's enough. Both Confessions and Hard Candy are history, so it doesn't matter.

Bring on "Revlovler," the upcoming comp, and whatever else.

What exactly is euro-disco? I dont think any of Madonna's songs actually fit this bar Hung Up and Sorry? FL is not euro-disco if both Donna Summers and Giorgo Moroder are American?

My interpreation of Eurodisco would be all that hi-nrg stuff such as Whigfield, Corona, Culture beat, 2 Unlimited etc.

The BPM's on most of Madonna's music would probably be too slow to be considered Eurodisco.

Her output from ROL-COADF seems to have made it easy for people to put Madonna in this euro-disco "box".

Guest ursaminorjim
...FL is not euro-disco if both Donna Summers and Giorgo Moroder are American?

Moroder is Italian. And Pete Bellotte was British, if I'm not mistaken. And weren't Donna's epics recorded in Germany?

I did nt think i'd like COADF at first because im not into commercial dance music, which COADF is and its a big step backward from the more creative Electronic styles on AL/Music/ROL. But overall and judging by sales its definitely the album most people prefer if compared to HC.

I remember a review of COADF saying its perfect for the dark winter nights, when it was released, hence the colorless sounds I guess. I guess those colorless sounds give it the darker edge that stops it being a Kylie album.

Its not supposed to be original or "new". In reality nothing of what Madonna has made is in anyway new. ROL sounds very heaily influenced by Massive Attack albums, Erotica by Late 80's/early 90's dance/soul, Music and AL by Mirwais's own albums, COADF by 90's dance anthems, HC by the pop/r'n'b bratpack which are far too many to mention. COADF was supposed to be a throwback to the 80s, early days. The problem with HC is it appears if she is trying to act like a teenager again.

And some of us DONT. CONFESSIONS IMO is a gigantic mesh (mess) of WEIRD colorless sounds set to erratic tempos w / THIN lyrics sprinkled on top. All generically meshed into each other like on the "dance" channel of MUSIC CHOICE. SP is a 1 trick pony. He didnt do anything for Madonna that was the least bit interesting or new for her. Heck 90% of the whole cd sounds like a water down knock off to almost every Madonna club mix over the last 20 years. Like listening to the miami remix of DCFMA over and over and over and over. It was a EASY cd for her to do. Shes made music like that in some way or another sounded like it already. I'm glad hes gone and I hope Madonna never works with him again. You and Darren Hayes can go sip on "cherry cola" if you dont like it.

Guest nothingfails0603
Oh PLEASE. Do yourself a favor and go back and actually listen to her early music, you know...the 80's and it's all there. People who say COAD was a return to her early days are clearly reaching, Hard Candy is the real deal. It's ALL HER. The fact that you don't like it doesn't make it "not her."

people keep saying this, but how many of you have any other r&b albums from the past 5 years in your collection? If HC sounds like old school Madonna, then I guess so does Mariah's E=MC2, Rihanna's Good Girl Gone Bad and Beyonce's B. Day, Janet's Damita Jo and Nelly's Loose and about sixty other female r&b/pop albums that have come out since 2004 that have a little pop, a little hip hop, a little old-school and a little ballads. There is nothing on Hard Candy that wasn't done (better may I add) on any of the albums I listed, but you probably never listened to them because they're successful female artists who aren't Madonna, right?

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy
people keep saying this, but how many of you have any other r&b albums from the past 5 years in your collection? If HC sounds like old school Madonna, then I guess so does Mariah's E=MC2, Rihanna's Good Girl Gone Bad and Beyonce's B. Day, Janet's Damita Jo and Nelly's Loose and about sixty other female r&b/pop albums that have come out since 2004 that have a little pop, a little hip hop, a little old-school and a little ballads. There is nothing on Hard Candy that wasn't done on any of the albums I listed, but you probably never listened to them because they're successful female artists who aren't Madonna, right?

SO agree with this.

HC may have been a throwback in the sense that it was "fun" like her old stuff, but the production on the album wasn't Madonna. If it was, then why the hell did it sound like 20 other albums from the last few years? Most of the people who harp on about how SPECTACULAR and OLD SKOOL MADONNA the album is are the old poofs who have been out of the loop for 20 years.

HC was fun though, i like it.

Guest nothingfails0603
SO agree with this.

HC may have been a throwback in the sense that it was "fun" like her old stuff, but the production on the album wasn't Madonna. If it was, then why the hell did it sound like 20 other albums from the last few years? Most of the people who harp on about how SPECTACULAR and OLD SKOOL MADONNA the album is are the old poofs who have been out of the loop for 20 years.

thank you. HC just followed the formula that has worked for Beyonce, Gwen, Nelly, Mariah, Rihanna, Mary J., Janet and countless others. If you never bothered to listen to those albums, you can't hear the similarities. HC sounds more like The Sweet Escape or Loose than Madonna or Like A Virgin.

Guest ursaminorjim
Confessions wasn't Euro disco you dumb poofs.

I'd say a fair amount of it was. Certainly there were conscious nods to it ("Gimme gimme gimme," "I feel love," "West End girls" even).

What would you call it?

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy
thank you. HC just followed the formula that has worked for Beyonce, Gwen, Nelly, Mariah, Rihanna, Mary J., Janet and countless others. If you never bothered to listen to those albums, you can't hear the similarities. HC sounds more like The Sweet Escape or Loose than Madonna or Like A Virgin.

FAKT-UH.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy
I'd say a fair amount of it was. Certainly there were conscious nods to it ("Gimme gimme gimme," "I feel love," "West End girls" even).

What would you call it?

Dance.

Guest nothingfails0603

I notice people are mentioning Donna Summer here and on another thread. IMO, she is the perfect analogy to Hard Candy. HC for Madonna is similar to Another Place And Time, the album Donna did with SAW in 1989. I actually like APAT more than the bulk of the music SAW released if only for the fact it was Donna Summer, but the album was basically a faceless SAW album with Donna's voice and likeness on the album cover. It did boast some good songs for her, but it is probably her most faceless recording and was done to once again be relevant by working with the top producers of the era... sound familiar?

More call it good music as opposed to the "urban" influenced HC.

What would you call it?