Who was the First Black Madonna?

Guest Pud Whacker

Are the liner notes online?!

When YouTube first started, I would comment on her videos saying she was a wannabe and she would send me personal messages arguing with me! :rotfl:

Hahahahahahah

You're nuts.

(Though i had the same fight with David Was after he said nasty things during Superbowl and i had to point out it all came from her not wanting "Shake your head" to be released with her vocals. He said that it did not matter since it was a worldwide smash and i had to show him the receipts : it was like top 20 in Japan. He stopped the conversation right there)

Awesome! :wow:

Guest Pud Whacker

Hahahahahahah

You're nuts.

(Though i had the same fight with David Was after he said nasty things during Superbowl and i had to point out it all came from her not wanting "Shake your head" to be released with her vocals. He said that it did not matter since it was a worldwide smash and i had to show him the receipts : it was like top 20 in Japan. He stopped the conversation right there)

:rotfl: OMG, i love it! a worldwide smash? i love you let him have it.

my darling babe thinks the first black madonna was Janet Jackson.

so we watched her videos last night. i dont loathe her the way i used to in the 80's but TALK ABOUT WANNABE?! all of prince's people, nasty (a downgraded, sexless version of Vanity 6's Nasty Girl) mary lambert for Control (what a heifer), always porky in black cotton from head to toe, neck to wrist...i just cant. the cheerleading dancing? shes best when she does those pure pop numbers like When I Think of You but a black madonna that does not make.

Guest Pud Whacker

ok next up is the FABULOUS Neneh Cherry (who can do no wrong in my eyes - so watch your filthy holes :lol: ) - she took it to new places in 89. more euro. and the black community did NOT embrace cherry. too crazy at that point, too early. we see wannabe neneh's later. madonna had her eye on Jody for sure, from 87-90. now she has it on Neneh starting in 89. Neneh did a little mini Truth or Dare long before where she had Mondino and Gaultier in it and all this cool shyt.

Neneh_Cherry-Raw_Like_Sushi-Frontal_1399

:inlove: forever!!!

Someone wrote on Datalounge about Janet (which has a notorious troll there who ruins the site) "let black people have their Madonna" but I've never gotten the fascination with her in the black community, she has like a record of r&b #1s I think, despite the fact she CANNOT sing. Black people have more talent than anyone in music: heck they invented it, so why go for this mediocrity?

Whilst it makes sense for black people to lionize her brother, one of the biggest icons the world has ever seen with an incredible talent, she is a nothing; a pallid shadow. She is self-loathing and cut off her nose to spite her race in a ridiculous butchered surgery and is basically a 3 way cross between the real icons of the 80s: Madonna, Prince and her brother, ripping them off.

Sure she had some great tunes like When I Think Of You, but her legacy at best is questionable and is based on American chart stats which were manipulated through payola, not a bonafide icon status.

Guest Pud Whacker

Donna Summer!

im quoting you only because its right here, i saw others said it, too but i strongly disagree. youre not wrong, i just dont agree, at all. donna is FAB-U-LOUS in every way, shape and form. but she precedes madonna, so i look at donna post madonna and its a mess.

she didnt transit well from silents (radio, stage) to the talkies (MTV)

evidence here....

of course i love the stupid, gaybo song but its so way behind everything its laughable.

Guest Pud Whacker

Someone wrote on Datalounge about Janet (which has a notorious troll there who ruins the site) "let black people have their Madonna" but I've never gotten the fascination with her in the black community, she has like a record of r&b #1s I think, despite the fact she CANNOT sing. Black people have more talent than anyone in music: heck they invented it, so why go for this mediocrity?

Whilst it makes sense for black people to lionize her brother, one of the biggest icons the world has ever seen with an incredible talent, she is a nothing; a pallid shadow. She is self-loathing and cut off her nose to spite her race in a ridiculous butchered surgery and is basically a 3 way cross between the real icons of the 80s: Madonna, Prince and her brother, ripping them off.

Sure she had some great tunes like When I Think Of You, but her legacy at best is questionable and is based on American chart stats which were manipulated through payola, not a bonafide icon status.

i couldnt agree more. if they accept that as theirs, glow on but i turn away from the filth. :rotfl:

give me Vanity any day. even through her drug addiction and becoming a born again christian. for this alone:

another one that i will fight for until they throw dirt on my grave.

Well, if we're talking about stardom and all that, then I do think Donna Summer was the first black Madonna. Both bigger than life superstars. But no, Donna Summer was far from being provocative or even creative. She didn't want to do Love to Love you Baby and Giorgio Moroder REALLY had to convince her and she just giggled throughout the entire recording session and was all like oh no what will people think of me like a no backbone having nobody :lmao:

So I'll go with Grace Jones. She never became the larger than life icon that Madonna did, but she was basically a black version of Madonna before Madonna.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R0dPQcMZqQ

grace_jones_2013_10_07.jpg

:lmao:

Guest Pud Whacker

Well, if we're talking about stardom and all that, then I do think Donna Summer was the first black Madonna. Both bigger than life superstars. But no, Donna Summer was far from being provocative or even creative. She didn't want to do Love to Love you Baby and Giorgio Moroder REALLY had to convince her and she just giggled throughout the entire recording session and was all like oh no what will people think of me like a no backbone having nobody :lmao:

So I'll go with Grace Jones. She never became the larger than life icon that Madonna did, but she was basically a black version of Madonna before Madonna.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R0dPQcMZqQ

grace_jones_2013_10_07.jpg

Grace is fabulous. ill join this one but i find madonna to be more of an admirer of grace than vice-versa. madonna picked meat of this bone over the years and added it to her show.

Guest Pud Whacker

Donna Summer and especially Debbie Harry were Madonna's closest ancestors, but nobody could possibly compare to the type of star Madonna eventually became.

yes exactly. the game changed when madonna came along. so we can discuss people like harry and jones and diana ross, even michael jackson. but when discussing madonna mania and the way she became part of the cultural fabric that gave birth to those aforementioned having to change their act to suit the new rules madonna was implementing by her sheer power and potency. (side note, grace didnt change to fit in, she fell into obscurity for many years then reemerged)

anyway, thats certainly how i look at it.

yes exactly. the game changed when madonna came along. so we can discuss people like harry and jones and diana ross, even michael jackson. but when discussing madonna mania and the way she became part of the cultural fabric that gave birth to those aforementioned having to change their act to suit the new rules madonna was implementing by her sheer power and potency. (side note, grace didnt change to fit in, she fell into obscurity for many years then reemerged)

anyway, thats certainly how i look at it.

Then there's no first black Madonna! As simple as that. Jody Watley? :lmao:

Guest Pud Whacker

Then there's no first black Madonna! As simple as that. Jody Watley? :lmao:

yup jody wately. always in Jet and Ebony proclaiming her as The Black Madonna. thats the way it played out in 1987-89.

Jody was just the first post-Madonna wannabe to make it big who just happened to be black.

I see a lot more parallels between Madonna and Grace Jones, especially early on in their careers. The biggest difference though is that Madonna wanted to rule the world, and she did, Grace Jones just wanted to rule Studio 54 and they NY artistic elite, and she also did. And she wanted a lot of coke. :lmao:

Guest Pud Whacker

Jody Watley is a great candidate. Aside from her success as a solo artist, she was also fantastic in Shalamar. Just listened to a Shalamar megamix that brought back such good musical memories.

yes, started as a dancer on soul train. then Shalamar. involved in fashion, had street cred. so much, in fact, i believe she was the only american(?) invited to Band Aid Do They Know Its Christmas.

^

About Jody's involvement in DTKIC, she said that it was her and Kool & The Gang who repped the US. Cool! :laugh:

YAHOO MUSIC: You’re not British. So how did an R&B singer from Chicago end up on “Do They Know It’s Christmas?” alongside members of Spandau Ballet and Culture Club?
JODY WATLEY: I was living in London at the time. My group Shalamar, which I’d left in July of 1983, at the time were huge in the U.K. The publicist Mariella Frostrup of the label Phonogram, which was keen to sign me to a solo deal, was also the label that was releasing the Band Aid single. Mariella said I needed to be a part of a recording that was happening. She indicated there’d be loads of British artists — it wasn’t until I got there that I saw who. I couldn’t believe it. To say it was “awe-inspiring” would be an understatement.

Beyonce is the only one that can be compared to Madonna. Charismatic performer, deeply involved in the creative process, a true worldwide household name.

Creative? Beyawnce? :manson:

Beyonce is good at what she does, but yeah. I've never seen her do anything I'd call creative.

Guest Pud Whacker

^

About Jody's involvement in DTKIC, she said that it was her and Kool & The Gang who repped the US. Cool! :laugh:

oh good, thanks!!! i love DO THEY KNOW...

Guest Pud Whacker

she wanted to be, they just didnt invite her. i was always so bitter about that because after the ama's everyone went and she wouldve gone in this:

so i dont care if she sang mary had a little a lamb in this outfit. :lol:

tumblr_mfv5cqbkqf1reqp60o1_500.jpg