Why is "Ray of light" M's best album ever?

mad4mad2

I love ROL, but it is not my personal favorite, it's probably 5 on my list. People say American Life was "preachy," but I feel that way about a couple of ROL tracks. It doesn't necessarily take away from how good the songs are though.

ROL got reviews that were double page spreads. Her last 3 album reviews were < 1/4 size of a page... : ((

What does this have to do with something being good? Who cares about reviews?

I love ROL its fucking awesome and I discovered it before True Blue. But it's an album you sometimes have to get in a mood in to truly bask in it.

And Karby I disagree with the "noise". Those are elements of the album and what sets it apart from her others.

Guest eroticerotic

The mastering on Ray Of Light kinda sounds dated. Or Too much reverb I don't know..which takes away from the experience in 2015.

Erotica to me is her best. Still holds up. Lyrically, Facewise, Interviewwise, Melodically, Productionwise, Visually, Thematically, Fashionably, Artistically, and Live. Flaw Free Era. :)

What does this have to do with something being good? Who cares about reviews?

Nothing I must have been drunk

Did "Sky fits heaven" have copyright issues?

Yes as did CPG......it was a flimsy case though if memory serves me right.

I love ROL but it's overrated these days. And no, everyone did not like this "new Madonna" despite popular belief. In fact, this was the time many fans I know personally abandoned her. For lack of a better phrase, the sound of ROL was just too weird. It wasn't straight forward pop like she had done in the past. The reasons many praise it are precisely the reasons why a lot of her longtime fans (I'm talking ones that stuck by her through Erotica/Sex/BS) don't like it. Just keeping it real. :)

Personally, it's in my top 3 but if I had to nitpick, I would say that "Seriousdonna" is a bit much on this album and often times she sounds self conscious when singing......like she's trying with all her might to take every breath at the right spot and sing every note perfectly, which prior to this, was not her style at all. As perfect as this album is, I can't tell you the last time I sat and listened to it all the way through. I always seem to get bored somewhere in between TPOG and MG.

It is my favorite album, can listen it entirely and always be amazed about it. To me it doesn't sound dated, I love all the layers you can find in the songs, like Frozen for example... but maybe you do have to be in a certain mood to listen to it all.

I think you meant Evita is her best album...

Seriously, ROL is my favorite album and I think it will always be. Is it perfect? in terms of production, vocals and lyrics it is, but I can see why some people don't put it at top, it doesn't have party songs or silly love songs, the sex songs are too tamed (Candy Perfume Girl and Skin) the melodies may feel a little boring to some fans, and others hate it just because it aways gets mentioned and compared to other albums.

How can an album that contains shit like: Littke Star and Power of Goodbye, be considered best???

Like A Prayer has the honour of being her best from start to finish.

How can an album that contains shit like: Littke Star and Power of Goodbye, be considered best???

"The Power of Goodbye" shit?! The only thing shit here is your taste, Goodbye!

WTF, shit? Well, don't make me start with Dear Jessie...

I guess just like there are Ray of lighters there are Like a prayerers too.

Oh come on now! I personaly don't think ROL is her best album but The Power of Goodbye isn't shit at all! It's'a gorgeous song!

Why do I always see people dissing The Power Of Goodbye? I thought it was a fan favorite? Gorgeous melody.

Yes it definitely does. It's also a song I notice a lot of casual fans I know love. And even people who don't particularily like Madonna, think it is a nice song. At least from my experience.

I love ROL but...hands down LAP is THE classic Madonna masterpiece. ROL is innovative, creative and heartfelt but LAP has the breathtaking variety and artistic ambition with confessional and poetic songs like PTT and Oh Father, the haunting and brutally honest TDDUP and experimentation and breadth with Dear Jessie, Love Song and Act of Contrition. Oh, and the singles were probably the most varied and amazing of her entire career. LAP is Madonna at her creative zenith!