Spin 300 Best Albums of the Past 30 Years

HolidayGuy

Another big list has arrived, and Madonna scores an entry in the top 100. Something I know will rile some up (though it shouldn't, as it's just one list)- Janet Jackson has three entries- all strong efforts, if I may say so. :gent:

http://www.spin.com/2015/05/the-300-best-albums-of-the-past-30-years-1985-2014/

89. Madonna, Like a Prayer
(Sire, 1989)

The controversy surrounding Like A Prayer’s title track overshadowed the fact that the album solidified Madonna’s evolution from pop tartlet to savvy adult artist. Working with longtime collaborator Patrick Leonard, Madge teamed up with Prince (!), made bold feminist statements (“Express Yourself”), and took a benevolent view of an imperfect dad (“Oh Father”) — all while dabbling in shiny funk, girl-group pop, and sweeping, orchestral ballads. — ANNIE ZALESKI

Another big list has arrived, and Madonna scores an entry in the top 100. Something I know will rile some up (though it shouldn't, as it's just one list)- Janet Jackson has three entries- all strong efforts, if I may say so. :gent:

huh?

whatever, NEXT!

Guest Pud Whacker

Madonna/Madonna should always make the list.

Like A Prayer.

Ray of Light

Confessions.

These are musical AND cultural changes.

Well the Janet albums are strong efforts (by her producers and writers), but isn't that the point of the list? :D

To be honest I never really pay attention to these rankings music magazines put out, after all it still comes down to personal taste when ranking albums. There are some records on the list which definitely deserve to be there IMO, but on the other hand a few inclusions absolutely baffle me. Really just like any other ranking that's been posted here for years.

Honestly, confused about how ROL did not make the list. :confused:

It fits in well with the "alternative" sounding albums that predominate the list.

M older albums will continue not having a better chance to be heard and recognized unless she reissues them like 99% of her peers. It really sucks!

Guest Pud Whacker

Honestly, confused about how ROL did not make the list. :confused:

It fits in well with the "alternative" sounding albums that predominate the list.

M older albums will continue not having a better chance to be heard and recognized unless she reissues them like 99% of her peers. It really sucks!

Not even reissue but verbally appreciate them and the songs. She puts her back catalogue down constantly.

Why would anyone want to align themselves with something she's deemed awful or uncool?

Bitch, She's Madonna. Right?

#JusticeForErotica

But LAP is a great album and deserves to be on any greatest albums of xx years list Just like a lot of her other albums.

Definitely one of the most important female releases of the last 3 decades.

I hope these lists that magazine come up with just DIE.

I mean, most people who compile these lists are individuals with individual tastes. its objective. you r entitled to your own opinion but doesnt mean you're right boo boo.

LAV sometimes pops up on lists, as does the debut. (TB has, too, but less so than those).

But this list is only covers the last 30 years so excludes those two albums unfortunately. Debut would have made the list for sure ( and deservedly so ) as it has the cool factor amongst hipster tri-hards, unlike her other albums.

It is all pretty much Alternative / RnB based, with very little regards to other genres :( but not too bad a list regardless, minus the Janet album, which bar 3 songs is a piece of shit.

I'm really shocked ROL wasn't on the list. Both LAP and ROL are her highest critically acclaimed albums. Both showed a maturity, growth, evolution in her sound, and were perfect segues into the next decade.

OMG there's a Goober album in there! :wacko: This reads more like a slant magazine list, a schizophrenic mix of rock and pop.

Janet starts out relatively high - I can't believe they put that spotty interlude laden "janet." shit in there! - to be a lot higher than Like a Prayer, beating some big names. The obsequious write-up for Jism Nation is sickening, sounds like one of her tards wrote it. :thumbsdown::sick:

Watch the three fanet fans not see this thread and miss the opportunity to praise the beast because its in the MADONNA SECTION. :lmao:

Rottenberrythud may be the exception.

I'm assuming the three Janet albums are Control, Rhythm Nation, and janet.? If so, those are three strong albums (especially for pop during the last 30 years), but Madonna, True Blue, Erotica, Ray of Light, Music, and Confessions are all as good or better. At the very least, ROL is an obvious/safe pick. Silly.