True Blue: "the archetype of the late '80s and early '90s pop albums"

Crystal Coffin

It's one of my favorite albums of the '80s because of the singles, but I'm not sure how it's much different from other '80s pop album from the time. Lots of strong singles and a few fillers.

:lmao: My own track listing! :thumbsup:

1. "Papa Don't Preach"

2. "Open Your Heart"

3. "White Heat"

4. "True Blue"

5. "Causing a Commotion"

6. "The Look of Love"

7. "Spotlight"

8. "Where's the Party"

9. "La Isla Bonita"

10. "Live to Tell"

:wow:

:lmao: My own track listing! :thumbsup:

1. "Papa Don't Preach"

2. "Open Your Heart"

3. "White Heat"

4. "True Blue"

5. "Causing a Commotion"

6. "The Look of Love"

7. "Spotlight"

8. "Where's the Party"

9. "La Isla Bonita"

10. "Live to Tell"

:wow:

This would've been the most hit filled album ever lol. Where's Who's That Girl though?

This would've been the most hit filled album ever lol. Where's Who's That Girl though?

Doesn't fit anywhere! So it stays as a "non-album track" in my imaginary Madonna world :yes: But its glorious extended version is included on my Immaculate Remixes (1991) :yes:

God. It looks like a mini greatest hits album :wow:

Guest bluejean

Although this is before my time I can imagine seeing her evolve from her bubble gum pop to Live To Tell and then Papa must have been so thrilling. I suppose Crazy For You and Gambler hinted at a more serious side but the first 2 singles from TB are so dramatic in comparisons to the 1st few album.

I was thinking how interesting the choice to release Papa was too. The message of the lyrics is so controversial. I'd love to read articles from then about how Madonna was "encouraging teen pregnancy." Clearly she and the people at the label had caught onto the whole "controversy sells" at this point and were really running with it. I love how each lead single from Like a Virgin to Erotica had this element of controversy. Love it. Even now no one really does that. Not even Madonna.

That's why I maintain that releasing Gang Bang as lead single would have been SO Madonna.

Unapologetic Bitch for lead single!!

I never hold true Blue in high esteem but whenever I listen I'm always so surprised. It's a really great album, a collection of amazing singles that holds together and functions as an album as well. I love the way M & Leonard weave eclectic references (fifties bubblegum, latin, classical music, the film nods) through contemporary pop.

And, though others try to knock it off the title track :dramatic: is my favourite M song

Guest bluejean

I never hold true Blue in high esteem but whenever I listen I'm always so surprised. It's a really great album, a collection of amazing singles that holds together and functions as an album as well. I love the way M & Leonard weave eclectic references (fifties bubblegum, latin, classical music, the film nods) through contemporary pop.

And, though others try to knock it off the title track :dramatic: is my favourite M song

That song took over my life last month. I found a Tshirt which uses the True Blue album cover image but it's this pop art design and it says 'No more sadness I kiss it goodbye.' Love it!

I haven't worn a Madonna Tshirt since I was a teen cos I always think wearing pop star and band tshirts is abit dorky but this one has such a cool design. I should really post a pic.

when lesser pop divas put out a pop single, then a ballad, a dance song and a latino pop song from the same album it always reminds me of 'true blue' because it's singles all had different styles to them..although it always seems formulaic or forced when others try it. jlo, geri halliwell and katy perry spring to mind