Was 'Physical Attraction' a single in the US?

madgemusic85

Yes, but only as a maxi single where it was dubbed the 'Slow Side' to "Burning Up"'s 'Fast Side'.

Though neither song was given a commercial 7" single release in the US, "Physical Attraction" was the only of the two to receive a promotional 7" release that was sent to radio.

120764782384.jpg

The Edit version included on both sides of the promo 7" isn't a shorter version of the 12" version (which had been remixed by Jellybean and was later included on the Madonna album) but rather an edit of the earlier mix prior to Jellybean's involvement.

This was later included on the You Can Dance: Single Edits Of Album Remixes promo (CD and LP) and can also be found on CD as part of the Japan 40 3" CD Single Collection boxed set from 1997.

Additionally, "Physical Attraction" was one of the 'hits' listed on official hype stickers and Sire adverts for the Madonna album in both 1983 and 1984.

Yes, but only as a maxi single where it was dubbed the 'Slow Side' to "Burning Up"'s 'Fast Side'.

Though neither song was given a commercial 7" single release in the US, "Physical Attraction" was the only of the two to receive a promotional 7" release that was sent to radio.

120764782384.jpg

The Edit version included on both sides of the promo 7" isn't a shorter version of the 12" version (which had been remixed by Jellybean and was later included on the Madonna album) but rather an edit of the earlier mix prior to Jellybean's involvement.

This was later included on the You Can Dance: Single Edits Of Album Remixes promo (CD and LP) and can also be found on CD as part of the Japan 40 3" CD Single Collection boxed set from 1997.

Additionally, "Physical Attraction" was one of the 'hits' listed on official hype stickers and Sire adverts for the Madonna album in both 1983 and 1984.

Which is interesting since BU is the song that's better remembered now and still gets airplay.

I was born in 1988. The music industry changes so I guess it was 'normal' back then to release six singles off of an album!

Everybody

Burning Up

Physical Attraction

Holiday

Borderline

Lucky Star

There were several blockbuster albums with more singles than that, but Madonna's debut was a special case.

"Everybody", "Burning Up" and "Physical Attraction" were all issued as singles before there even was a Madonna album on the market. "Holiday" was the first single released to promote Madonna, followed by "Borderline".

She was ready to release the follow-up album Like A Virgin after "Borderline" but at the last minute Sire Records decided to delay it and put out "Lucky Star" as a single first, building a great chart trajectory... "Holiday" went top 20, "Borderline" went top 10, "Lucky Star" top 5... then "Like A Virgin" went to #1.

There were several blockbuster albums with more singles than that, but Madonna's debut was a special case.

"Everybody", "Burning Up" and "Physical Attraction" were all issued as singles before there even was a Madonna album on the market. "Holiday" was the first single released to promote Madonna, followed by "Borderline".

She was ready to release the follow-up album Like A Virgin after "Borderline" but at the last minute Sire Records decided to delay it and put out "Lucky Star" as a single first, building a great chart trajectory... "Holiday" went top 20, "Borderline" went top 10, "Lucky Star" top 5... then "Like A Virgin" went to #1.

I heard that Madonna was itchy to release Like A Virgin single, she was impatient. But the record company wanted Lucky Star out before! I think in an interview circa June 1984, she was talking to someone on Mtv and said she wanted to release LAV right at that time.

Guest bluejean

Interesting info Mattress!

So what are the versions of this song that exist?

Album Version 6:41

You Can Dance Album Version 6.21 (what version is used here?)

Edit (same version as the You Can Dance edit and Japan CD Single Collection) 3:54

I've also got listed:

Edit 3:31

UK Fade 3:16

Any idea what these are?

I have an edit of the Album Version that is 3:58 in length, I'm assuming from the info you've given this must be fake?

Which is interesting since BU is the song that's better remembered now and still gets airplay.

At the time, warners weren't expecting madonna to do much and just put out a couple of promo 12"s. Then interest started picking up and an album was commissioned. When the album came out, Holiday started getting played on the radio which took them by surprise so a rushed edit was sent to radio. I think it all happened so quickly that nobody was sure what was going on.

Madonna came to the UK in 83 and performed Holiday and Burning Up but BU wasn't even released here. We got Lucky Star instead a year before the U.S. release. Physical Attraction kind of got forgotten as they moved from the club tracks to the more pop sound of borderline.

I love this song though. I think its stronger than Everybody.

Interesting info Mattress!

So what are the versions of this song that exist?

Album Version 6:41

You Can Dance Album Version 6.21 (what version is used here?)

Edit (same version as the You Can Dance edit and Japan CD Single Collection) 3:54

I've also got listed:

Edit 3:31

UK Fade 3:16

Any idea what these are?

I have an edit of the Album Version that is 3:58 in length, I'm assuming from the info you've given this must be fake?

Album version and YCD are the same.

UK edit is the b- side of the re-release of Borderline I think that just fades out early.

As far as I know about the remixes of the song here's what I have:

01. Album versión (6:34) - The one included on the album and as the B-side of "Burning up" maxi-single

02. Single versión (3:57) - The one included on most of the 7'' singles and on the "You can dance" single edits promo albums.

03. Fade versión (3:22) - Released as B-side of "Borderline" on the UK.

04. Edit versión (3:31) - Included on the Philippines 7'' single.

I think at that time was very easy to find these variations. On Philippines "Burning up" and "Phisical attraction" have two "exclusive" versions, the same way that "Holiday" and "Burning up" have exclusive versions for the mexican promo single...

Love this track, was one of my favs back in the 80s! And the artwork is so beautiful! I have one of those vinyl frames in my living room and it goes from Everybody to Physical Attraction from time to time.

I had never seen that Boston performance!!!!! OMG it's so cute, love how she changes the melody! LOVE