How about a Past Masters-style compilation?

Msig

In the late 1980s, The Beatles released a compilation album, titled Past Masters, which features all offically released Beatles songs that aren't available on any of the band's studio albums. How would you feel about Madonna releasing a similar compilation?

If it were relased today, the following tracks would be included (I've intentionally excluded songs from I'm Breathless and Evita, since Madonna sang most or all songs included on those albums)

1. Crazy for You
  2. Into the Groove
  3. Gambler
  4. Ain't No Big Deal
  5. Who's That Girl
  6. Causing a Commotion
  7. The Look of Love
  8. Can't Stop
  9. Spotlight
  10. Santa Baby
  11. I Surrender Dear (duet with Jennifer Grey)
  12. Supernatural
  13. Justify My Love
  14. Rescue Me
  15. This Used to Be My Playground
  16. I'll Remember
  17. Goodbye to Innocence
  18. Let Down Your Guard (rough mix edit)
  19. Freedom
  20. Guilty by Association (duet with Joe Henry)
  21. I Want You (feat. Massive Attack)
  22. You'll See
  23. One More Chance
  24. Veràs
  25. Has to Be
  26. Bittersweet
  27. Be Careful (Cuidado Con Mi Corazon) (duet with Ricky Martin)
  28. Beautiful Stranger
  29. American Pie
  30. Time Stood Still
  31. Cyber-Raga
  32. Lo que siente la mujer
  33. Me Against the Music (Britney Spears feat. Madonna)
  34. Fighting Spirit
  35. Super Pop
  36. History
  37. Hey You
  38. Ring My Bell
  39. Celebration
  40. Revolver (feat. Lil Wayne)
  41. It's So Cool
  42. Broken

In the late 1980s, The Beatles released a compilation album, titled Past Masters, which features all offically released Beatles songs that aren't available on any of the band's studio albums. How would you feel about Madonna releasing a similar compilation?

If it were relased today, the following tracks would be included (I've intentionally excluded songs from I'm Breathless and Evita, since Madonna sang most or all songs included on those albums)

1. Crazy for You
  2. Into the Groove
  3. Gambler
  4. Ain't No Big Deal
  5. Who's That Girl
  6. Causing a Commotion
  7. The Look of Love
  8. Can't Stop
  9. Spotlight
  10. Santa Baby
  11. I Surrender Dear (duet with Jennifer Grey)
  12. Supernatural
  13. Justify My Love
  14. Rescue Me
  15. This Used to Be My Playground
  16. I'll Remember
  17. Goodbye to Innocence
  18. Let Down Your Guard (rough mix edit)
  19. Freedom
  20. Guilty by Association (duet with Joe Henry)
  21. I Want You (feat. Massive Attack)
  22. You'll See
  23. One More Chance
  24. Veràs
  25. Has to Be
  26. Bittersweet
  27. Be Careful (Cuidado Con Mi Corazon) (duet with Ricky Martin)
  28. Beautiful Stranger
  29. American Pie
  30. Time Stood Still
  31. Cyber-Raga
  32. Lo que siente la mujer
  33. Me Against the Music (Britney Spears feat. Madonna)
  34. Fighting Spirit
  35. Super Pop
  36. History
  37. Hey You
  38. Ring My Bell
  39. Celebration
  40. Revolver (feat. Lil Wayne)
  41. It's So Cool
  42. Broken

I love the idea but I would trim it a bit. I would have a double CD with the following tracklists:

• 1. Crazy for You
  • 2. The Look of Love
  • 3. Supernatural
  • 4. This Used to Be My Playground
  • 5. I'll Remember
  • 6. Goodbye to Innocence
  • 7. Let Down Your Guard (rough mix edit)
  • 8. Freedom
  • 9. Guilty by Association (duet with Joe Henry)
  • 10. I Want You (feat. Massive Attack)
  • 11. You'll See
  • 12. One More Chance
  • 13. Love Don't Live Here Anymore (Remix)
  • 14. Has to Be
  • 15. Be Careful (Cuidado Con Mi Corazon) (duet with Ricky Martin)
  • 16. Time Stood Still
  • 1.Gambler
  • 2. Ain't No Big Deal
  • 3. Causing a Commotion
  • 4. Can't Stop
  • 5. Spotlight
  • 6. Rescue Me
  • 6. Goodbye to Innocence
  • 7. Don't Cry For Me Argentina (Miami Mix)
  • 9. American Pie
  • 10. Cyber-Raga
  • 11. Me Against The Music (with Britney Spears)
  • 12. Fighting Spirit
  • 13. Super Pop
  • 14. History
  • 15. Ring My Bell
  • 16. It's So Cool
  • 17. Broken

I omitted all tracks that were previously included in any of her previous compilations and some that I thought didn't flow with the rest.

I don't think it would fair well in this era and period. No one will buy a b-sides collection that featured songs already found on albums/compilations (which is wage this basically is). She's better off doing an unreleased anthology box set.

wow, she really have loads of songs that aren't in the albums. She has so few b-sides that sometimes one forgot.

I'd rather have a compilation of those unreleased tracks that are out there. Remastered and in good quality.

Unlike The Beatles, she simply doesn't have enough classic b-sides to warrant it. She isn't a b-sides artist like Prince etc.

The difference is, they were known as "A-sides". That's why The Beatles (rather George Martin) released Past Masters in the first place. Back in the day, artists like The Beatles, released A-sides. A-sides are records that are not available on a studio album.

In Madonna terms, you could label the 'Into The Groove UK single' as an "A-side". But the terminology changed a long time ago.

It's a great idea. A lot of her soundtrack singles and b-sides need remastering. Yes, they aren't A-Sides like the Beatles compilation, but it would still be great to have. Sadly, I only see fans wanting this and not the general public, but I could be wrong.

The difference is, they were known as "A-sides". That's why The Beatles (rather George Martin) released Past Masters in the first place. Back in the day, artists like The Beatles, released A-sides. A-sides are records that are not available on a studio album.

In Madonna terms, you could label the 'Into The Groove UK single' as an "A-side". But the terminology changed a long time ago.

Past Masters is a mix of A and B sides, unavailable on studio albums as msig proposed. I don't see the point as the likes of ITG and CFY have been endlessly anthologised and easily available on CD (Past Masters raison d'etre) and the few b-sides are hardly that noteable.

Guest Pud Whacker

Unlike The Beatles, she simply doesn't have enough classic b-sides to warrant it. She isn't a b-sides artist like Prince etc.

she used Think of Me and Pretender for 5 years!

and why wasnt Stay on that list?

Guest bluejean

I think it's more likely we'd get these songs on individual album reissues OR a box set featuring non album tracks, remixes and unreleased tracks.

Guest bluejean

And I don't think there'd be much point including songs that are on Who's That Girl, The Immaculate Collection, STR and Celebration on another compilation.

I actually think it's about time Warner released all her singles and maxi-singles digitally. Look up other legacy artists like U2, Bowie and Prince on iTunes and you'll see they have done that for them.

Doesn't Britney Spears and Christina have all their maxi's up on iTunes? I always had a feeling that they would put up some of the more popular ones (LAP, Vogue, Justify, Secret, ROL, Music, etc...). I guess the idea just hasn;t crossed their minds, or, they probably just can't "find" the files on their computers :chuckle:

Guest bluejean

My OCD couldn't cope with their inconsistent labeling and wrong cover art anyway. It would go something like this:

Justify My Love

Vogue (The Remixes)

Like a Prayer - Remixes

Music (Remixes) - EP

Frozen - EP

Etc etc. Like a Prayer would use the single cover for the maxi-single. Music would use the album cover. And then the "Single version" of Vogue would probably be the I'm Breathless version.

My OCD couldn't cope with their inconsistent labeling and wrong cover art anyway. It would go something like this:

Justify My Love

Vogue (The Remixes)

Like a Prayer - Remixes

Music (Remixes) - EP

Frozen - EP

Etc etc. Like a Prayer would use the single cover for the maxi-single. Music would use the album cover. And then the "Single version" of Vogue would probably be the I'm Breathless version.

Lol so true. And don't forget the badly-scanned cover art and spelling mistakes too.

I think it's more likely we'd get these songs on individual album reissues OR a box set featuring non album tracks, remixes and unreleased tracks.

You could be right.

As a matter fact, The Beatles' Masters was first released as part of The Beatles Boxed Set, which compiled all songs ever released by The Beatles, including single versions of songs for which alternate takes were used on their albums.

And I don't think there'd be much point including songs that are on Who's That Girl, The Immaculate Collection, STR and Celebration on another compilation.

You (and othershave who have mentioned this) a point :)

I think if you also look at the 2 disc compilation set included in Kate Bush's "This Woman's Work" box set, this is something that Madonna could definitely achieve if included in a big box set.

I actually think it's about time Warner released all her singles and maxi-singles digitally. Look up other legacy artists like U2, Bowie and Prince on iTunes and you'll see they have done that for them.

THIS.

I've noticed some record companies are doing this for other artists now. It's a no brainer.