29 years ago on August 3, 1985...

Pressston

That was an incredible time as a Madonna fan ... I remember that week really well, she was never out the chart for 1985, and it sure was a time where in some weeks the entire top 20 were tracks now regarded as classics... I recall walking into my local HMV with whole wall length displays of Madonna vinyl - albums [both of which were riding high in the charts themselves] and 12"s and Pic Discs across the back of the counter, and stands with the first two albums on cassette... and I'm sure 'Crazy For You' was also in the top 20 in the same week? Wasn't she #1; #2 and #19 or something [with 'Angel' just announced as the next single]?

An amazing time - loved every minute.

That was an incredible time as a Madonna fan ... I remember that week really well, she was never out the chart for 1985, and it sure was a time where in some weeks the entire top 20 were tracks now regarded as classics... I recall walking into my local HMV with whole wall length displays of Madonna vinyl - albums [both of which were riding high in the charts themselves] and 12"s and Pic Discs across the back of the counter, and stands with the first two albums on cassette... and I'm sure 'Crazy For You' was also in the top 20 in the same week? Wasn't she #1; #2 and #19 or something [with 'Angel' just announced as the next single]?

Yep, Crazy For You was Top 20. I thought 17 but could be wrong.

But yes, it was unbelievable. ITG just came out of nowhere and Holiday just started climbing the charts again due to heavy rotation. The Playboy / Penthouse pics had just surfaced and she'd just appeared at Live Aid so it was a summer full of Madonna - for the very first time! Absolutely amazing to have lived through it. Oh yes, and the LAV album was released as a pic disc too in the UK along ITG, CFY, Holiday and Angel pic discs all all appearing. I couldn't keep up!

But yes, it was unbelievable. ITG just came out of nowhere and Holiday just started climbing the charts again due to heavy rotation. The Playboy / Penthouse pics had just surfaced and she'd just appeared at Live Aid so it was a summer full of Madonna - for the very first time! Absolutely amazing to have lived through it. Oh yes, and the LAV album was released as a pic disc too in the UK along ITG, CFY, Holiday and Angel pic discs all all appearing. I couldn't keep up!

Wow i'm fascinated reading this ! I wish i'd have a time travel machine just to experience that summer ! i was 3yo !

I wish i was alive at that time to experience it!

It's interesting for us who enjoy looking at pop charts how Holiday was released three times in the UK & I think the single always sold very well there.

I did not realize until recently that Holiday only reached # 16 on the US singles chart. :huh: I've heard Holiday so many times on radio, at bars, the supermarket, etc. I always thought Holiday was just as popular & well known as M classics, such as, Vogue, LAP, EY, & LIB.

I would love to have been around in this period where she was literally everywhere.

It's interesting for us who enjoy looking at pop charts how Holiday was released three times in the UK & I think the single always sold very well there.

I did not realize until recently that Holiday only reached # 16 on the US singles chart. :huh: I've heard Holiday so many times on radio, at bars, the supermarket, etc. I always thought Holiday was just as popular & well known as M classics, such as, Vogue, LAP, EY, & LIB.

I'm always surprised how some songs that still get regular play, and are considered classics, didn't actually chart amazingly, I think they must have been slow burner hits that have stood the test of time.