Was Hard Candy ahead of its time?

Lymon

Damn some people really get off on hating M's albums.

I think they're all great and they all reveal another side of M each time. Let's get real, if you don't like Mdolla then you're gonna be in for a rude awakening in the coming months and years.

Yes but the ones that r bad, r worse :D

Oui but...

God Bad Shot you DAD

I'm a Dick, Ted

Beautiful Filler

Awww, Fuck It (I Fucked Up!)

Love Spent (in the supermarket of Crow)

Flailing Free

Master Plate

Seven killer tracks right there. And I love "Girl Gone Wild" as a guilty pleasure too; and let's face it "Best Friend" is like an Erotica outtake for the 2012 saison. So I think we're all a bit harsh sometimes on good ol' (WTF is) MDMA. I understand completely that the Solveig tracks are big stinking heaps of dog shite and as you say the album doesn't have a Madonna record feel to it but I still think it was a step forward for her.

Damn some people really get off on hating M's albums.

I think they're all great and they all reveal another side of M each time. Let's get real, if you don't like Mdolla then you're gonna be in for a rude awakening in the coming months and years.

Thanks for your input.

Now get over yourself !

Sure, that's why she performed Candy Shop every night on the MDNA Tour. Cause she hates it SO much. :electropop:

That's why her line of gyms is called HARD CANDY. Cause she hates it so much!! :electropop:

Who asked you?

*CROAK* off

Anyway ladies - vocally, HC is the alltime worst, lyrically, AL takes that dubious honour and MDNA lacks cohesion and direction. All of them tinged with moments of brilliance of course.

It's so HYPNOTIC

(hypnotic notic)

The WAY he pulls on ME

It's like the FORCE of GRAVITY

RIGHT UP under my FEET

It's so EROTIC

(erotic ROTIC)

This feelin' can't be BEAT

It's coursing through my whole BODY

Feel the HEAT

I got that BURNIN' hot DESI - I - IIII - RE

And no one CAN PUT OUT my

FI-I-IIIII-RE

It's coming RIGHT DOWN through

The WI-I-IIII-RE

Here it COMES

When I hear them 808 DRUMS

It's got me SINGIN'....

AL is a very awkwardly produced album with some real turkeys on it. But for me HC is the most un-Madonna album in her canon. Some awful songs, some truly awful vocals and some of the worst mastering and production ever for her.

"Falling Free" acapella on the other hand.. pure gorgeousness :inlove:

Omg. Is there a Falling Free acapella somewhere?

Omg. Is there a Falling Free acapella somewhere?

No only fan made ones I fink.

I also have the instrumental which I sometimes sing along to with my beautiful voice. I can send it to you but I fear for you may not handle the gorgeousness of my vocal cords.

Give it 2 Me is one of Madonna's best songs. up there with ROL and Holiday IMO. I love the album as well, I'd much prefer to listen to Hard Candy than Confessions.

:thumbsup::inlove:

Thanks for your input.

Now get over yourself !

Who asked you?

*CROAK* off

Anyway ladies - vocally, HC is the alltime worst, lyrically, AL takes that dubious honour and MDNA lacks cohesion and direction. All of them tinged with moments of brilliance of course.

And absolutely no one asked you bitter queens for your generic opinions either xo

Edited by Shan

And absolutely no one asked you bitter queens for your generic opinions either xo

Lol. Don't take it too personally!

:angel:

No only fan made ones I fink.

I also have the instrumental which I sometimes sing along to with my beautiful voice. I can send it to you but I fear for you may not handle the gorgeousness of my vocal cords.

I love the instrumental too! Can you please put the 'Featuring Suedey' version in the multi media forum?

:rosey:

Guest SecretGarden

So it's the Hard Candy hate thread now?

Discussions like these inevitably do become a Hard Candy or MDNA hate thread. Same ol' discussion, really, in a few years people will be hailing Hard Candy and MDNA as some of her best albums and saying her future two albums are her "worst".

Discussions like these inevitably do become a Hard Candy or MDNA hate thread. Same ol' discussion, really, in a few years people will be hailing Hard Candy and MDNA as some of her best albums and saying her future two albums are her "worst".

I totally agree with you. I love both HC & MDNA even though the quality of some tracks are not great, but in a few years everyone will jump on the MDNA bandwagon.

For me, Hard Candy is an album that's grown on me over the years.

When it first came out, I was mildly disappointed because (IMO) it paled in comparison to COADF (which was epic in every which way).

To me, it just didn't seem like Madonna. It seemed more like Pharell, JT, and Timbaland taking the reins with M just trying to be Gangsta.

However, as time went on, I found myself humming Heartbeat and Dance 2Night on a regular basis. I enjoyed the beats of 4 Minutes and Give it 2Me. Candy Shop's "My Sugar is Raw-Sticky and Sweet' bit became my workout mantra. And before I knew it, Miles Away became my breakup song (Gang Bang from MDNA became my breakup sex song, but that's another story).

So, I don't know if it was ahead of it's time - but for me, it's something that I couldn't help fall in love with in time.

However, I still can't stand "Incredible" It's the hydrangea of the album.

Flying_Crow_by_1two3four5six7.jpg

Move your body

Catch me all across the floor

Everybody's watchin' but I just

Wanna give you more

I wanna dance 2night!

Flying_Crow_by_1two3four5six7.jpg

I actually LOVE this song.

Um that's obviously already happened. Hard Candy has suddenly reached "oh it isn't so bad afterall" status. Compared to the general WTF IS THIS? vibe when it first came out. Sanity will prevail though...and around the time that Madonna slates this whole sorry period in her autobiography, HC will again be relegated to the bottom of the pile where it belongs.

As for MDNA. Liked it then, like it still.

Guest SecretGarden

Um that's obviously already happened. Hard Candy has suddenly reached "oh it isn't so bad afterall" status. Compared to the general WTF IS THIS? vibe when it first came out. Sanity will prevail though...and around the time that Madonna slates this whole sorry period in her autobiography, HC will again be relegated to the bottom of the pile where it belongs.

As for MDNA. Liked it then, like it still.

What makes you think Madonna will slate Hard Candy? I do understand the recording sessions weren't the most pleasant (Pharrell making her cry, her apparent lack of chemistry with Timbaland as shown by that hilariously awkward "studio" interview etc); however that doesn't mean she isn't *fond* of the album, she obviously likes Candy Shop, and judging from the people she has chosen to work with on the new album (e.g Diplo, S1 etc) she still has a soft spot for urban music.

If I remember correctly, a lot of fans loved Hard Candy when they first listened to it, only when it started to underperform did people begin to hate it, now that MDNA flopped even harder fans are liking it again; it's all rather transparent. As for me, loved it then, love it now.

It's not hate, it's discussion, and the previous two threads linked above had very little of that outwith "isn't Hard Candy great".

Taste and preference need to come into play sometimes. It's the "I love every single Madonna album unconditionally no matter what" brigade that I'M wary of.