Best and worst 'tour films' (videos, DVDs, Blu-Rays, LDs, prof-filmed shows etc.)

Apples388

Virgin Tour - Detroit

Who's That Girl Tour - Tokyo

Who's That Girl Tour - Ciao Italia [amalgamation of 3 shows]

Blond Ambition Tour - Nice

Blond Ambition Tour - Yokohama

Blond Ambition Tour - Barcelona

Blond Ambition Tour - Paris [as yet incomplete]

Girlie Show - Sydney

Girlie Show - Fukuoka

Drowned World Tour - Detroit

Reinvention Tour - Lisbon

Reinvention Tour - Paris [as yet complete]

Confessions Tour - London

Sticky and Sweet Tour - Buenos Aires

MDNA Tour - Miami [and other shows]

(please feel free to correct me and I will amend the list)

Let's tawwk.

I mean, a lot of people say 'less is more' so when it comes to the earlier shows we definitely had that and maybe to a certain extent Sticky and Sweet from the more recent tours.

Drowned World was glazed ass shit like someone had just downed 3 benzodiazepines and then went behind that camera and I hated it because it did not capture the show at all.

Reinvention - well, the footage from the documentary is filmed in a very similar fashion stylistically to what we got later for Confessions (oh, hi Jonas!) - which is basically, "Let's make Madonna look like a goddess" which is all great and all that but in certain places it feels a little bit too polished and pretty and cutesy with all the dramatic slow-motions (oh hi first segment of Confessions) and all that stuff. However, I have to say I do like it.

MDNA - wow, the 'more is more' concert film concept went to colossal heights with this and the bubble burst so spectacularly the juice was all over everyone's faces. Defective discs, bad sound.. just everything.. oh God, I'm awfully sorry for having offended thee and all that. However, in some respects, the DVD/Blu-Ray fiasco was ironically the 'perfect' ending and closure of a very tumultuous chapter in the Madonna history (namely the MDNA era).

Blond & Girlie were both the best and let's not even pretend that they weren't. Particularly Girlie I think. The way it was shot was just spectacular. Love it!

Happy-Clap.gif

Off the top of my head, some camera angles were different especially in GGW and GMAYL. Whereas the EPIX broadcast felt clunky in some parts, it looked less clunky and more balanced in the DVD version.

Girlie Show Down Under DVD is the best purely because her vocals sound so great.
The Virgin Tour is great because it's her 1st tour and she didn't lip sync anything.
Confessions and S&S are well shot but some of the dubbing especially S&S is terrible.

MDNA is a mess. poor picture quality and sound problems . The film is so overexposed and with filters that her face glows
and she looks pale white and unnatural.

Off the top of my head, some camera angles were different especially in GGW and GMAYL. Whereas the EPIX broadcast felt clunky in some parts, it looked less clunky and more balanced in the DVD version.

I'll watch more carefully next time to see if I notice amything, hehe.

• 2 weeks later...

such a shame. the trailer looked promising. the stupid overlaps/transparency effects ruin one of the best tour openings ever created. this tour had EVERYTHING to get one of the best DVDs.

on the bright side.. this week:

BsQ7hUBCAAA8GcL.jpg

I just want the FULL Blond show from Paris. Can you even imagine watching it on blu-ray?

These are from the Truth Or Dare bluray

10321564_10202707516582689_8409794914303

10380614_10202707498782244_3825936748330

10382289_10202707499342258_6134331798202

i think this may be my favourite.

also love the filmed screens of someone named "barney" from RIT in madison square garden! obviously it's not an official dvd though ;)

Guest whatatramp

Aside form the fact that I'm blindly biased when it comes to all things Hard Candy, I really do think that S&S is the nicest, smoothest, most seamless concert film EVER. It really is an energetic experience. The shots capture everything big and small, like the magnitude of the audience, as well as her little moments of improv. I love how the stage is shrouded in darkness especially; all that black, negative-space gives a sense of depth to the camera angles, staging, lighting, video screens, everything (it's like I'm right there in Argentina, sweatin' with Madonna herself).

MDNA would have to be the worst for me. Thank God for Youtube fan-clips cuz the EPIX premiere didn't showcase all the hooplah. Something was REALLY off. I use my token heterosexual big brother as a gauge for these kinda things and of all the Madonna tours I've made him watch, this was was the most underwhelming; "it's like a buncha Instagram clips. Bright colors, cool sets, but I can't really "enjoy" a shot. Too disjointed." -I had to agree. People complaining about the pacing of CT in London must not have seen this. I hear that MDNA it's the tour-of-tours around these parts, but I didn't see it. I aint gettin the DVD anytime soon.

+1 I agree with everything

Sticky & Sweet is really perfection

Guest whatatramp

I just want the FULL Blond show from Paris. Can you even imagine watching it on blu-ray?

These are from the Truth Or Dare bluray

10321564_10202707516582689_8409794914303

10380614_10202707498782244_3825936748330

10382289_10202707499342258_6134331798202

ugh I need the full recording of this to be released

I've always loved the energy I get off watching The Virgin Tour from Detroit aswell

MDNA is a mess. poor picture quality and sound problems . The film is so overexposed and with filters that her face glows

and she looks pale white and unnatural.

During Express Yourself, her face is just a blurry white dot!

The way the Girlie Show was shot was awesome but the transition of the sound from vhs to dvd is shocking you cant hear the audience at all the crowd was so enthusiastic it was Madonna's first Australian show

First of all the main problem in all her concert's releases is the lack of extras, i'm not buy "the less is more" crap.

DWT: You'll See and the Video backdrops

CT: video backdrops and maybe ROL and ILNY performances with Lenny Kravitz from Paris.

S&S: backdrops videos and maybe Britney and JT from LA or Pharrell from NY (Timbaland from miami doesn't count)

and the promo tours from each era

S&S is the best for me, but i agree with the audio issues, specially in Borderline

The worst MDNA, actually is the only one i didn't buy, besides the audio/video/edit problems i REALLY CAN'T STAND all the audience's close up, specially when they are looking to the camera, i want to watch Madonna and some screens, dancers and band, even some audience but general takes not one freak dancing and screaming, like LAP in S&S, i love the whole stadium jumping

Could be the best dvd BD cause i love the show (even having been at the Santiago's disaster)

DWT is ok for me, but i remember a few better takes in the HBO broadcast specially in LIB and i don't understand the omission of the dancers in the WIFLFAG interlude