Best and worst 'tour films' (videos, DVDs, Blu-Rays, LDs, prof-filmed shows etc.)

Apples388

Virgin Tour - Detroit

Who's That Girl Tour - Tokyo

Who's That Girl Tour - Ciao Italia [amalgamation of 3 shows]

Blond Ambition Tour - Nice

Blond Ambition Tour - Yokohama

Blond Ambition Tour - Barcelona

Blond Ambition Tour - Paris [as yet incomplete]

Girlie Show - Sydney

Girlie Show - Fukuoka

Drowned World Tour - Detroit

Reinvention Tour - Lisbon

Reinvention Tour - Paris [as yet complete]

Confessions Tour - London

Sticky and Sweet Tour - Buenos Aires

MDNA Tour - Miami [and other shows]

(please feel free to correct me and I will amend the list)

Let's tawwk.

I mean, a lot of people say 'less is more' so when it comes to the earlier shows we definitely had that and maybe to a certain extent Sticky and Sweet from the more recent tours.

Drowned World was glazed ass shit like someone had just downed 3 benzodiazepines and then went behind that camera and I hated it because it did not capture the show at all.

Reinvention - well, the footage from the documentary is filmed in a very similar fashion stylistically to what we got later for Confessions (oh, hi Jonas!) - which is basically, "Let's make Madonna look like a goddess" which is all great and all that but in certain places it feels a little bit too polished and pretty and cutesy with all the dramatic slow-motions (oh hi first segment of Confessions) and all that stuff. However, I have to say I do like it.

MDNA - wow, the 'more is more' concert film concept went to colossal heights with this and the bubble burst so spectacularly the juice was all over everyone's faces. Defective discs, bad sound.. just everything.. oh God, I'm awfully sorry for having offended thee and all that. However, in some respects, the DVD/Blu-Ray fiasco was ironically the 'perfect' ending and closure of a very tumultuous chapter in the Madonna history (namely the MDNA era).

Blond & Girlie were both the best and let's not even pretend that they weren't. Particularly Girlie I think. The way it was shot was just spectacular. Love it!

BAT Paris is hands down the best shot concert of them all. Makes me sad that we probably will never see a proper release of the David Fincher directed show :wow:

Also, there should be another option of RIT Paris, which is the one we saw in IGTTYAS ;) That was pretty amazing as well.

I love the S&S DVD because it's a seamless concert's concert type of thing and I think it stays true to the tour in that sense. It is everything I expected, having been to the show live shows; it perfectly encapsulated the energy and the mood of the tour.

And I love the intro where she talks about Argentina.

ArgentinAWWHHHH

I love the S&S DVD because it's a seamless concert's concert type of thing and I think it stays true to the tour in that sense. It is everything I expected, having been to the show live shows; it perfectly encapsulated the energy and the mood of the tour.

And I love the intro where she talks about Argentina.

ArgentinAWWHHHH

Preach.

tumblr_mh8hfpzfkR1r0jd3uo1_500.gif

I don't find any of the BAT dates really capture it properly, I've only gained the understanding of what that show looked like from watching all the videos (and looking at photos - the lighting was very odd, meaning things sometimes were an off colour or you can't get proper depth from footage). Girlie Show is shot beautifully but the sound is mediocre - the sound from Fukuoka is much better if only they were together.

As far as Confessions is concerned I don't even mind how over the top it is I think it really captures the essence of the show - although I didn't go so I can't say. But I felt that MDNA, for all it's fuckups, presented the show as M wanted it to be, as was, I think, the case with Confessions, so I think in both cases it works.

S&S feels the most like a concert video while still maintaining the very polished quality you expect from an M production so... I no longer know where I'm going with this. Just my two cents really.

I think some fans already buried MDNA in the deep, but I can see Madonna's vision with it and I agree with you there. With all its flaws, I still think it is presented rather well. Much better than its distant cousin Drowned World Tour - which remains her worst ever tour film if you ask me. I like to put these two tours together because I think they are kindred spirit; we can add Blond Ambition to that 'holy trinity' as well, actually. Of course Blond is the Alpha and the Omega, but but with MDNA she completed the trio of her most artistic / challenging / ballsy / in your face / religiosity remixed tours.

Blond Drowned MDNA FOREVER :wow:

Virgin Tour - Detroit

Who's That Girl Tour - Tokyo

Who's That Girl Tour - Ciao Italia [amalgamation of 3 shows]

Blond Ambition Tour - Nice

Blond Ambition Tour - Yokohama

Blond Ambition Tour - Barcelona

Blond Ambition Tour - Paris [as yet incomplete]

Girlie Show - Sydney

Girlie Show - Fukuoka

Drowned World Tour - Detroit

Reinvention Tour - Lisbon

Reinvention Tour - Paris [as yet complete]

Confessions Tour - London

Sticky and Sweet Tour - Buenos Aires

MDNA Tour - Miami [and other shows]

(please feel free to correct me and I will amend the list)

Let's tawwk.

I mean, a lot of people say 'less is more' so when it comes to the earlier shows we definitely had that and maybe to a certain extent Sticky and Sweet from the more recent tours.

Drowned World was glazed ass shit like someone had just downed 3 benzodiazepines and then went behind that camera and I hated it because it did not capture the show at all.

Reinvention - well, the footage from the documentary is filmed in a very similar fashion stylistically to what we got later for Confessions (oh, hi Jonas!) - which is basically, "Let's make Madonna look like a goddess" which is all great and all that but in certain places it feels a little bit too polished and pretty and cutesy with all the dramatic slow-motions (oh hi first segment of Confessions) and all that stuff. However, I have to say I do like it.

MDNA - wow, the 'more is more' concert film concept went to colossal heights with this and the bubble burst so spectacularly the juice was all over everyone's faces. Defective discs, bad sound.. just everything.. oh God, I'm awfully sorry for having offended thee and all that. However, in some respects, the DVD/Blu-Ray fiasco was ironically the 'perfect' ending and closure of a very tumultuous chapter in the Madonna history (namely the MDNA era).

Blond & Girlie were both the best and let's not even pretend that they weren't. Particularly Girlie I think. The way it was shot was just spectacular. Love it!

I totally agree with all you said.

I havn't seen the Paris BA but from what I've seen The Girlie Show was the best.

Best: Confessions, S&S and MDNA

Worst: Drowned

And I feel very sad for this because DWT seems like an out of this world concert and I can't enjoy properly because of how awful is the recording :(

I know a lot of people always rant on the japan audiences, but I'm sorry, for WTG and GST, the japan shows were much better than what was released. That was only because of the angles used and thy captured the opening better. There's a lot you see in the Fukuoka show that's not in the Aussie DVD.

And as much as I love DWT, the DVD captured the show decently, but the camera angles fucking sucked. And there was too much Vaseline on the camera lens. And I hate that blue haze that's in every shot, including the geisha segment which in reality used nothing but red lights.

Virgin Tour is one of her best. Shame that they cut out a few songs, it's even more of shame that we still don't even have them as it's almost been 30 yrs now. II love the film quality. It's gorgeous. Love the backstage bits. Love the prologue and epilogue she filmed just for it.

I just wish the opening was better. It starts too early.

Aside form the fact that I'm blindly biased when it comes to all things Hard Candy, I really do think that S&S is the nicest, smoothest, most seamless concert film EVER. It really is an energetic experience. The shots capture everything big and small, like the magnitude of the audience, as well as her little moments of improv. I love how the stage is shrouded in darkness especially; all that black, negative-space gives a sense of depth to the camera angles, staging, lighting, video screens, everything (it's like I'm right there in Argentina, sweatin' with Madonna herself).

MDNA would have to be the worst for me. Thank God for Youtube fan-clips cuz the EPIX premiere didn't showcase all the hooplah. Something was REALLY off. I use my token heterosexual big brother as a gauge for these kinda things and of all the Madonna tours I've made him watch, this was was the most underwhelming; "it's like a buncha Instagram clips. Bright colors, cool sets, but I can't really "enjoy" a shot. Too disjointed." -I had to agree. People complaining about the pacing of CT in London must not have seen this. I hear that MDNA it's the tour-of-tours around these parts, but I didn't see it. I aint gettin the DVD anytime soon.

Not sure I understand this thread but here it goes...

Who's That Girl Tour - Ciao Italia [amalgamation of 3 shows]- Perfection.

Blond Ambition Tour - Nice (though Barcelona has some outstanding footage that's seemingly better, mainly Express Yourself and KIT).

Girlie Show - Sydney- this by a landslide! I have the Erotica number so memorized that alternate versions w/ different camera angels irk me. They seem to cut away from the best M parts.

Drowned World Tour - Detroit. Holds what may very well be M's greatest video of all time.. Paradise Not For Me. For that reason I can't w/ anyone who doesn't like this tour.

Reinvention Tour - Lisbon - IGTTYAS made me love NKM, but it wasn't until I saw the Lisbon show unedited that I fell in love w/ this tour.

Confessions Tour - London- Future Lovers. That is all.

Sticky and Sweet Tour - Buenos Aires It's all about Vogue and Candy Shop!

MDNA Tour - Miami [and other shows]- Still can't find the DVD but have a feeling even if I did I might not buy it bc the editing of what I have seen is too hectic. Yep I'm proudly old school in that regard. Looking for HD Youtube clips first.

I enjoy watching & really appreciate just about all the shows listed. I actually watched DW and BA Tokyo a million times & I'm surprised some people don't think their great to watch. :shock: I never watched MDNA as of yet because the tour was my favorite after confessions & i did not want the camerawork and editing to ruin it for me!

• 3 weeks later...

Best

Virgin

Ciao

BAT Barcelona

GS Fukuoka(she sounds so much better and relAxed)

S&S Bs As(shame about the mess they did with some of the vocals)

• 3 weeks later...

I don't find any of the BAT dates really capture it properly, I've only gained the understanding of what that show looked like from watching all the videos (and looking at photos - the lighting was very odd, meaning things sometimes were an off colour or you can't get proper depth from footage).

I feel the same way about BA.

I think it has to do with the fact that all 3 complete shows we have in good quality - that means I'm not counting Houston - have been shot outdoors. When you look at the footage used in ToD or at the LAP footage that's been posted online by MadonnaTV recently, you have a much better idea of the lighting, mostly because it's all indoor footage.

Where can I get Blond Ambition Houston and some of the other nights of her other tours on DVD???

I've got WTG Turin and Japan (not sure which night) BA Barcelona, Niece and Japan (not sure which night). The two GS's from Sydney and Japan and only the commercially released copies of her last 5 tours.

I'd really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction or could sell me a couple of concerts. I'd love a different night of S&S and MDNA and if there is anything floating around from Confessions. I don't think we have anything from Reinvention other than Lisbon and the DVD.

The Girlie Show in Sydney was the best for vocals alone

S+S felt like the sound was too altered - Borderline was awful mixing album vocals from 1983 with live from 2008 - MDNA was great except it felt like I was watching it on Instagram with all the filters and Turn Up The Radio clothing changes etc

Sticky & Sweet is by far the best filmed tour of all her releases Just a shame about the bad dubbing on the vocals

Miles away with the whole of the stadium clapping always gives me goosebumps love that moment.

Guest Rocco Papa

It would be so cool if they would release the full BA show used in Truth or Dare. It would stand well alongside her most recent live releases in terms of quality, the cinematic way it was shot and edited, etc. However, I prefer the Nice show that aired on HBO.

My favorite is The Girlie Show - Live Down Under. I prefer the days when they would film one show live. Confessions and S&S are good, but MDNA really shows how awful the result can be when you're editing several dates together for one concert film. The lack of continuity in MDNA drove me nuts. Plus, it feels more natural to watch just ONE concert date. A live show isn't supposed to be perfect. It kind of defeats the purpose of the experience by trying to make it into this cinematic piece of perfection.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be so cool if they would release the full BA show used in Truth or Dare. It would stand well alongside her most recent live releases in terms of quality, the cinematic way it was shot and edited, etc. However, I prefer the Nice show that aired on HBO.

My favorite is The Girlie Show - Live Down Under. I prefer the days when they would film one show live. Confessions and S&S are good, but MDNA really shows how awful the result can be when you're editing several dates together for one concert film. The lack of continuity in MDNA drove me nuts. Plus, it feels more natural to watch just ONE concert date. A live show isn't supposed to be perfect. It kind of defeats the purpose of the experience by trying to make it into this cinematic piece of perfection.

Agree I was disappointed by the editing from the little I saw from MDNA DVD. I really need to watch it in full, but I liked the show so much that I did not want to be disappointed by the DVD.

Also, knowing myself….. I will probably like it more in the future & take back some of what I said about it!

i bought it but i had to bring it back and be refunded as it was beyond crap. i could not even visualize the menu. and by the reaction of the customer assistant i guess i was not the only one.

to this day i still don't have the dvd of the concert :(

The Girlie DVD has a "tinny" quality to it at times, though. The HBO broadcast, though from what I remember, was better.

I remember back when they'd rerun Blond Ambition from Nice on MTV, VH1, etc., and some had different camera angles and such. I'd probably go with that one.