Various tidbits from the past

I went to my mother's yesterday and unearthed my metallic box where i stored all my Madonna meorabilia. Icon issues + update letters, Spotlight (french magazine dedicated to M), and various scrapbooks i made throughout the years where i kept every newsbit & gossip on Madonna and i came up with these informations i hope you'll enjoy on this sunny (at least here) sunday :

First day reording Ray of Light : June 30th 1997at Larrabee North recording studios (Icon) Nellee Hooper arrived on july 7th.

Video directors switches

Bad girl announced as being directed by Tim Burton (icon update). Nothing really Matters announced as being directed by Walter Stern (Madonna Q&A in Icon). Mark Romanek says he was first approched to direct Bad Girl.(Icon)

"She insisted on having everyone on set calling her Varla (as the main character from Russ Meyer's Faster pussycat kill kill kill) when she had her black pigtails on. I did not comply" Mark Romanek (Icon Q&A)

"We wanted Fellini to play the director in the video. He is a huge fan of her. Sadly his schedule did not permit it" Mark Romanek (Icon Q&A) NB: Fellini died in october of that year (93). He wrote a letter to Madonna to apologize that he couldn't be part of the video.

Sept 9th 1999 Madonna writes an essay in the New York Daily News in honour of Rebecca Guaspari-Tzavaras. she says she got to play violin in a small concert she puts together for her students. (She says it too in her newsletter in Icon).

Session with Babyface for "Bedtime stories" : june 29th 1994 in LA (Liz Validator Icon update) after having recorded with Dalals Austin in Atlanta & Dave Hall in NYC, Babyface was last.

The press gossips about otential song titles : Calor, Blue moon tenderness & Heaven spirit (!!!)

Sessions with Mirwais for Music : From november 1999 to February 2000. No leftovers. (Mirwais interview)

Human Nature video : Raleigh Studios in Hollywood may 6 and 7 1995

Madonna suit by Body worship NYC & boots by Karl Lagerfeld (Icon update letter)

Gaultier diary from french Glamour 1990 : november 27th 1989, Madonna scraps "La isla bonita" from the blond ambition tour. A toreador shorts he made for it won't finally be used and end up in his colelction. February 1990, first fittings in LA, everything must be redone, Madonna lost 12 pounds since the first fittings and measurements in Paris.

December 1989 ; Madonna goes to the Zoopsie party at Bobino with Gaultier and stays there till 4 AM, at one point she starts singing very loudly while dancng, everybody is staring at her and wondering who this girl is (she's a brunette and unrecognizable).

Japan, march 1990, at a restaurant Gaultier tells Madonna that he does not like the ponytail and liked the curls she had during rehearsals better. She jokingly ask him to leave the table and then explains that she chose this hairdo because it keeps her from sweating a lot a to have messy hair and make up. Before she starts the european leg she calls him and say "I have a surprise for you" and she gets on stage with the hairdo he liked best.

"An immaculate Collection II is in the works for the Holidays" (From Madonna's own letter in Icon fanzine issue from spring 1999)

"Madonna will cover "You make me feel (like a natural woman) by Aretha Franklin for a compilation of ballad covers she has in the works due later this year" (From NME news july 1995)

Gene Kelly as a consultant on the Girlie Show :

"Madonna has hired Gene Kelly as an advising choregrapher to help lend the production an MGM "Singing in the rain" feel. He expressed to her how much she reminds him of Marlene Dietrich. His presence and flair are truly felt here among these dancers who all think he is the "ultimate". a huge inspiration.

His attitude is very professional-he's there early with his note pad, ready to work. the dancers get in place as he instructs them. "Jeté, pas de bourret, yes !Yes ! Ow!!". as he demonstrates a kick for the dancers he has pulled a muscle. Poor Gene. Not too bad for an eighty-something year old man though." (Icon)

Film projects

i put it in the thread dedicated to this.

Thank you! This is great because there are so many times that I know I read something or heard something either from Madonna or about her over the years and I cannot find it on the internet. I never collected anything except her albums but I always read articles about her including Icon. That's wonderful that you saved all that.

I remember someone once posting an old TV Guide tidbit about how Thief of Hearts was going to be a single at the time...

Thank you! I was just thinking while reading the other threads on the new album, Madonna pretty much always let us know who she was working with prior to an album's release via ICON. No internet meant no leaks, so there were still the elements of surprise first hearing the final product.

Guest Pud Whacker

I went to my mother's yesterday and unearthed my metallic box where i stored all my Madonna meorabilia. Icon issues + update letters, Spotlight (french magazine dedicated to M), and various scrapbooks i made throughout the years where i kept every newsbit & gossip on Madonna and i came up with these informations i hope you'll enjoy on this sunny (at least here) sunday :

First day reording Ray of Light : June 30th 1997at Larrabee North recording studios (Icon) Nellee Hooper arrived on july 7th.

Video directors switches

Bad girl announced as being directed by Tim Burton (icon update). Nothing really Matters announced as being directed by Walter Stern (Madonna Q&A in Icon). Mark Romanek says he was first approched to direct Bad Girl.(Icon)

"She insisted on having everyone on set calling her Varla (as the main character from Russ Meyer's Faster pussycat kill kill kill) when she had her black pigtails on. I did not comply" Mark Romanek (Icon Q&A)

"We wanted Fellini to play the director in the video. He is a huge fan of her. Sadly his schedule did not permit it" Mark Romanek (Icon Q&A) NB: Fellini died in october of that year (93). He wrote a letter to Madonna to apologize that he couldn't be part of the video.

Sept 9th 1999 Madonna writes an essay in the New York Daily News in honour of Rebecca Guaspari-Tzavaras. she says she got to play violin in a small concert she puts together for her students. (She says it too in her newsletter in Icon).

Session with Babyface for "Bedtime stories" : june 29th 1994 in LA (Liz Validator Icon update) after having recorded with Dalals Austin in Atlanta & Dave Hall in NYC, Babyface was last.

The press gossips about otential song titles : Calor, Blue moon tenderness & Heaven spirit (!!!)

Sessions with Mirwais for Music : From november 1999 to February 2000. No leftovers. (Mirwais interview)

Human Nature video : Raleigh Studios in Hollywood may 6 and 7 1995

Madonna suit by Body worship NYC & boots by Karl Lagerfeld (Icon update letter)

Gaultier diary from french Glamour 1990 : november 27th 1989, Madonna scraps "La isla bonita" from the blond ambition tour. A toreador shorts he made for it won't finally be used and end up in his colelction. February 1990, first fittings in LA, everything must be redone, Madonna lost 12 pounds since the first fittings and measurements in Paris.

December 1989 ; Madonna goes to the Zoopsie party at Bobino with Gaultier and stays there till 4 AM, at one point she starts singing very loudly while dancng, everybody is staring at her and wondering who this girl is (she's a brunette and unrecognizable).

Japan, march 1990, at a restaurant Gaultier tells Madonna that he does not like the ponytail and liked the curls she had during rehearsals better. She jokingly ask him to leave the table and then explains that she chose this hairdo because it keeps her from sweating a lot a to have messy hair and make up. Before she starts the european leg she calls him and say "I have a surprise for you" and she gets on stage with the hairdo he liked best.

"An immaculate Collection II is in the works for the Holidays" (From Madonna's own letter in Icon fanzine issue from spring 1999)

"Madonna will cover "You make me feel (like a natural woman) by Aretha Franklin for a compilation of ballad covers she has in the works due later this year" (From NME news july 1995)

Gene Kelly as a consultant on the Girlie Show :

"Madonna has hired Gene Kelly as an advising choregrapher to help lend the production an MGM "Singing in the rain" feel. He expressed to her how much she reminds him of Marlene Dietrich. His presence and flair are truly felt here among these dancers who all think he is the "ultimate". a huge inspiration.

His attitude is very professional-he's there early with his note pad, ready to work. the dancers get in place as he instructs them. "Jeté, pas de bourret, yes !Yes ! Ow!!". as he demonstrates a kick for the dancers he has pulled a muscle. Poor Gene. Not too bad for an eighty-something year old man though." (Icon)

Film projects

i put it in the thread dedicated to this.

MORE MORE MORE!!!!