Do You Miss SoundtrackDonna?

5iVe Elements

Mat your signature is huge :chuckle:

Yeah, about that: I was going to add a signature but the photos I want to use are always too big, but they are smaller than some signatures I have seen used (Mat's signature is exhibit A). Can someone explain how it works?

I miss the soundtrack singles,too! I can't see why she doesn't do these anymore.The song "Falling Free" sounds like it was tailor-made for a good,dramatic film.I would love for her to do a soundtrack single and release it this summer,to tide us over until the new album is finished and released.A great soundtrack single could do wonders for her career.Look at Pharrell....his soundtrack song "Happy" is the Number One song in America right now and it's even nominated for an Oscar!! Come on,Madonna....you can do the same!

Soundtracks tend to be like mixtapes featuring of-the-moment popular artists. Look at the soundtrack for The Great Gatsby and Catching Fire. That's not to say Madonna wouldn't necessarily be welcomed on a soundtrack like those, but it just seems like it stopped happening as she got older.

^ Hmm. Hadn't really thought about the age thing being a factor here, but ... I suppose that could be playing into things. It is hard to believe that it has been almost 12 years since "Die Another Day" (fall 2002). That's really the last time we got something new for a soundtrack if you don't count "Masterpiece," and (in this case) I wouldn't, since it was for her own film. I love it, of course, but it doesn't prove/disprove your point at all, because she was really in the position to make the decision about including or not including her own song.

It is at least encouraging that her back catalogue has been used for several mid-size films in that time, though... and even some of her "recent" material (or recent for the time of the film's release).

Get Smart used "4 Minutes" in the movie at a key plot moment, and then it played over the credits.

Devil Wears Prada used "Vogue" and "Jump."

EDIT:

To answer the original question, yes, of course, I miss the soundtrack contributions. She always brings her A game to those projects. And she is criminally under-recognized by the Academy for all of her soundtrack work. One day - I don't want to say when - they need to award her something for her achievement in that area.

Soundtracks tend to be like mixtapes featuring of-the-moment popular artists. Look at the soundtrack for The Great Gatsby and Catching Fire. That's not to say Madonna wouldn't necessarily be welcomed on a soundtrack like those, but it just seems like it stopped happening as she got older.

I'd never thought of Patti Smith as of-the-moment popular