Resequencing tracks on a few of M's albums...

Guest Borderline

Guest Borderline

I recently completed the Madonna listening-a-thon at the suggestion of Whoopie's thread. It was, as always, so much fun. However, I think listening to her albums in chronological order really highlighted some of the (very few) issues/flaws that I had about a couple of the albums, specifically the most recent albums: COADF, HC & MDNA. I find these albums suffer slightly from odd track sequencing, or simply just having a clunker plopped in the most awkward spot that it derails the experience of the album. It may seem like an unpopular opinion, but, I think these albums work better with a little bit of reworking.

My complete music library is digital... (what's a disc?) ... so, it's easy for me to order things the way they sound best to me. In COADF (unmixed of course), I removed "I Love New York" completely from the tracklist. I've always found it to just hinder the amazingness of COADF - and in my opinion, it sounds so much better without it!

For HC, I've removed Candy Shop (such a poor opening track), and have the album opener as 4 Minutes. While I love Candy Shop, I find it just doesn't really fit in with the rest of the album - it's sounds different, and the lyrics are a little cringeworthy. I've also removed Spanish Lesson (which I actually don't mind at all, quite enjoy it - but it is a cheesefest) and substituted "Across The Sky" in it's place. Again, in my opinion, it just makes the album flow so much nicer.

MDNA suffers a lot from poor sequencing. It makes the album sounds so disjointed and manic. As much as I actually really loved "Give Me All Your Luvin'", it just doesn't fit on MDNA. My perfect MDNA tracklist looks like this:

01. Girl Gone Wild

02. Turn Up The Radio

03. I’m Addicted

04. Gang Bang

05. Some Girls

06. I Don’t Give A

07. Beautiful Killer

08. I’m A Sinner

09. Love Spent

10. Masterpiece

11. Falling Free

I know it might be a little sacrilege to question the Queen, but, I think the only area where she's missed the mark lately is in editing herself. I'm interested to see if anyone else has similar opinions, or have their own reworking order of some of her albums?

I recently completed the Madonna listening-a-thon at the suggestion of Whoopie's thread. It was, as always, so much fun. However, I think listening to her albums in chronological order really highlighted some of the (very few) issues/flaws that I had about a couple of the albums, specifically the most recent albums: COADF, HC & MDNA. I find these albums suffer slightly from odd track sequencing, or simply just having a clunker plopped in the most awkward spot that it derails the experience of the album. It may seem like an unpopular opinion, but, I think these albums work better with a little bit of reworking.

My complete music library is digital... (what's a disc?) ... so, it's easy for me to order things the way they sound best to me. In COADF (unmixed of course), I removed "I Love New York" completely from the tracklist. I've always found it to just hinder the amazingness of COADF - and in my opinion, it sounds so much better without it!

For HC, I've removed Candy Shop (such a poor opening track), and have the album opener as 4 Minutes. While I love Candy Shop, I find it just doesn't really fit in with the rest of the album - it's sounds different, and the lyrics are a little cringeworthy. I've also removed Spanish Lesson (which I actually don't mind at all, quite enjoy it - but it is a cheesefest) and substituted "Across The Sky" in it's place. Again, in my opinion, it just makes the album flow so much nicer.

MDNA suffers a lot from poor sequencing. It makes the album sounds so disjointed and manic. As much as I actually really loved "Give Me All Your Luvin'", it just doesn't fit on MDNA. My perfect MDNA tracklist looks like this:

01. Girl Gone Wild

02. Turn Up The Radio

03. I’m Addicted

04. Gang Bang

05. Some Girls

06. I Don’t Give A

07. Beautiful Killer

08. I’m A Sinner

09. Love Spent

10. Masterpiece

11. Falling Free

I know it might be a little sacrilege to question the Queen, but, I think the only area where she's missed the mark lately is in editing herself. I'm interested to see if anyone else has similar opinions, or have their own reworking order of some of her albums?

I think COADF flows really great, i can't imagine a song being replaced by another. They way Sorry goes into Future Lovers is amazing.

I agree that CS is not a good opening track. And Beat Goes On and She's Not Me are too far away from the beginning. She should have opened with 4 Minutes, then GITM and afterwards Beat Goes On and going on with She's Not Me.

MDNA is her most random album EVER. Few songs flow and even though there are some great tracks there, they are among other songs that either don't fit or shouldn't be there.

Guest Not4Pussies

I've done this too as all my music is digital too. I have only rearranged certain tracks on some albums but I hAve never deleted any songs off the albums. They are minor changes. The only one with major changes is MDNA. Always had a problem with its tracklisting. Here are the changes I have made:

MADONNA

lucky star, everybody, burning up, physical attraction, think of me, borderline, I know it, holiday

LIKE A VIRGIN

material girl, dress you up, angel, like a virgin, shoo-bee-do, stay, love don't live here anymore, pretender, over and over

TRUE BLUE

open your heart, white heat, jimmy jimmy, where's the party, true blue, papa don't preach, live to tell, la isla bonita, love makes the world go round

LIKE A PRAYER

like a prayer, love song, express yourself, cherish, dear jessie, promise to try, oh father, till death do us part, spanish eyes, keep it together, act of contrition

EROTICA

erotica, fever, deeper and deeper, where life begins, thief of hearts, bad girl, words, rain, why's it so hard, in this life, waiting, bye bye baby, secret garden

BEDTIME STORIES

survival, secret, I'd rather be your lover, don't stop, forbidden love, human nature, inside of me, love tried to welcome me, sanctuary, bedtime story, take a bow

RAY OF LIGHT

perfect tracklisting from start to finish

MUSIC

music, impressive instant, runaway lover, amazing, I deserve it, don't tell me, what it feels like for a girl, nobody's perfect, paradise (not for me), gone

AMERICAN LIFE

american life, Hollywood, I'm so stupid, nobody knows me, love profusion, nothing fails, intervention, x-static process, mother and father, die another day, easy ride

CONFESSIONS ON A DANCE FLOOR (unmixed)

hung up, future lovers, get together, I love new york, forbidden love, sorry, let it will be, jump, how high, isaac, push, like it or not

HARD CANDY

candy shop, 4 minutes, give it 2 me, heartbeat, beat goes on, dance 2night, spanish lesson, incredible, miles away, she's not me, devil wouldn't recognize you, voices

MDNA

girl gone wild, some girls, give me all your luvin', I'm addicted, superstar, beautiful killer, masterpiece, love spent, gang bang, I fucked up, I don't give a, I'm a sinner, best friend, turn up the radio, falling free

For Erotica, I took out In This Life, Why's It So Hard and Did You Do It? and added Goodbye to Innocence. I resequenced the tracks.

For Bedtime Stories, I took out I'd Rather Be Your Lover and Don't Stop and added I Want You. Resequenced those too.

I resequenced MDNA. Clumped all the dancier songs together, then the deeper pop and ballads, then the fluffier pop at the end.

I intend on adding Into The Groove and Crazy For You to the LAV tracklist, resequencing ROL and maybe Music, and adding unreleased music to American Life and COADF tracklisting. I tried to resequence Hard Candy but it just didn't work. It works as is.

American Life

American Life

Hollywood

Love Profusion

Nothing Fails

Intervention

Xstatic Process

Im Stupid

Mother and Father

Nobody Knows Me

Die Another Day

Easy Ride