The conundrum of associations

Bill

We all potentially connect certain pieces of music, songs, lyrics, albums, etc with moments in time. Do you have any Madonna songs or albums that you either love to listen to because they remind you of something wonderful that happened to you, or that you can't listen to because of bad memories?

A good example for me would be the Ray Of Light album. As much of a masterpiece as it is, it is so deeply linked to a very specific time in my life that I don't necessarily care to revisit, that I have a hard time listening to it. I just can't shake the association. It wasn't a horrible time for me, but I just really have to be in the mood to remember it, which is why ROL is probably my least listened to album.

On the other hand, the American Life and COADF albums are easy for me to listen to because they remind me of happy times.

Music is very, very much that way, for me. Most songs I listen to on a semi-regular basis are connected to a specific memory, whether I was driving somewhere when I first connected to it, or whether it was playing in the background during some pivotal moment in my life, etc. Sometimes I wish I didn't make such deep connections.

Can anyone relate, or am I crazy? I guess the answer to both of the questions could be "yes". :lol:

Oddly enough none of them really bring me to a specific place in time. I mean I guess certain songs do. Like White Heat brings me right back to being 5 years old dancing around like crazy to it all the time.

With Madonna albums though I listen to each one over such a long period of time that I cant really pin point one moment in time with most of them.

Other albums remind me of moments in time though, like System of a Downs Mezmerize. When I listen to that it brings me right back to my early 20s when my friends and I would drive to the boardwalk almost every night and blast the hell out of the album.

Can anyone relate, or am I crazy? I guess the answer to both of the questions could be "yes". :lol:

yes, you're crazy...but a hot one so keep it like that :sassy:

I was a kid in the 80s and my friends and I always used to make up dances to her songs. My elementary school also used to hold these lip sync contests every year and I remember doing a routine to "Jimmy Jimmy" when I was 9 or 10. I'm sure it was AMAZING (not. lol). So yeah, childhood!

yes, you're crazy...but a hot one so keep it like that :sassy:

:chuckle:

I was a kid in the 80s and my friends and I always used to make up dances to her songs. My elementary school also used to hold these lip sync contests every year and I remember doing a routine to "Jimmy Jimmy" when I was 9 or 10. I'm sure it was AMAZING (not. lol). So yeah, childhood!

I bet it was adorable! My boyfriend and his cousin had a whole routine for "I Think We're Alone Now" by Tiffany. He's acted it out for me, it's hilarious.

I have to think of others or just songs but the first thing I thought of was the album Erotica. Erotica happened after a sad time in my life and that whole time period resulted in me being on my own for the first time. In the process of the whole thing Erotica was my companion in my pursuit of freedom and living my own life. I was in an art school, had a job that I loved and met some interesting people and was up nights working hard on my projects. It was a time where I felt a new life was just beginning for me. I think its hysterical now how old my classmates and I thought we were. When I hear Erotica I almost always think of that time.

The like a prayer album reminds of two christmases ago, when I first got the record. Thierry Mugler alien perfume also reminds me of it, because I couldn't stop spraying it around that time because it smelled so nice :lmao:

Aww, man, if I smell the patchouli-scented cassette, I'm instantly transported to the summer of 1991, when my Madonna obsession started.

Aww, man, if I smell the patchouli-scented cassette, I'm instantly transported to the summer of 1991, when my Madonna obsession started.

Oh man, that cassette. I remember getting that when it first came out, opening it up, and being all "what is that smell?" lol

1989. 5th grade. My friend and I were obsessed. OBSESSED with her. We went to a Catholic elementary school where we were always getting in trouble for these jean jackets we had (they were practically matching) which were absolutely covered with Madonna buttons. Some of the photos on the buttons (where she was wearing nothing more than her bra) almost got us sent to the principals office. Of course we refused to take them off. REBELS.

Again, childhood!!

Another - "American Life" came out right around when my husband and I started dating. That album reminds me of that time. :) (aww)

Bill, I'm like you in that certain songs / albums take me to very specific times / memories.

For every Madonna song and video, I can remember where I was at in my life at the time of it. What my friends and I were doing, what I was into, even what season it was. Crystal clear.

Since I started listening to M in 1984 when I was a little kid, I really don't recall what life was like without her! Her songs make up a soundtrack of my entire life, through elementary school to middle school, high school, college and onward as an adult.

So I have a million memories but I have to say: being a young teenager when the whole Justify My Love and then Erotica / SEX era happened? What a time that was! I swear my classmates and I learned more about sex and standing up for oneself from Madonna than any other source.