GMAYL

Guest Sinisin

I don't think GMAYL killed the album markm.

MDNA still sold a respectable 1.9 million WW, which is more than the latest albums from Christina, Gaga, Miley, Britney, Cher, Celine, Mariah, Janet etc.

Madonna fans have really high commercial expectations sometimes.

It's not the 80s or 90s anymore and nobody buys CD's anymore

It's all about touring now.

It's her worst performing album in some of her major markets even if you taken in to account the drop in album sales.

In the UK todate the album has shifted around 150k. Terrible.

And markm with the exception of pop girls albums by Lana Del Ray Beyonce, Pink and Katy Perry released in the last 2 years it outsold every other female pop album released

Also in 1992 when Erotica came out worldwide album sales were 4 times what they were in 2012, so going by that if MDNA was released in '92 it would have sold about 7.5 mill WW, while Erotica sold 6 mil WW that makes Erotica a biggee flop than MDNA

Although Erotica is the better album.

I love that it was a return to silly, tongue-in-cheek Madonna...very 80's-esque... a return to the "Material Girl" tone.

Sometimes, it does seem like a great deal of the Madonna fandom always wants her to be either deep and self-reflective...or hard and sexual. And now it's as if it's a regressive move for Madonna to be light, simple and silly...as if only the younger pop tarts can be such. But I don't agree. True, GMAYL might not have been the strongest single to lead off an album...but I love that she brought her sense of humor and silliness to the forefront again...especially for something like the SuperBowl.

I still don't understand the downright loathing of this song. It's like hating a kitten.....or saying to someone their newborn baby is ugly....lol. It's such a simple, easy to sing along to, non-threatening pop song. Maybe that's the issue? Also, I must be as out of touch as Granny Mo cuz I can actually see why this song was chosen as lead single. For one, it fit perfectly with Super Bowl and it actually does sound different than most pop songs on radio. The whole surfer vibe thing is not something the other pop bitches are exploring. Plus, it's super simple as are many of her biggest hits.

I think peeps is just resentful of it cuz they:

A. expected "more" after 4 yrs.

B. blame it for cutting MDNA's chart life short.

I still don't understand the downright loathing of this song. It's like hating a kitten.....or saying to someone their newborn baby is ugly....lol. It's such a simple, easy to sing along to, non-threatening pop song. Maybe that's the issue? Also, I must be as out of touch as Granny Mo cuz I can actually see why this song was chosen as lead single. For one, it fit perfectly with Super Bowl and it actually does sound different than most pop songs on radio. The whole surfer vibe thing is not something the other pop bitches are exploring. Plus, it's super simple as are many of her biggest hits.

I think peeps is just resentful of it cuz they:

A. expected "more" after 4 yrs.

B. blame it for cutting MDNA's chart life short.

I agree with almost everything you say except for it being non-threatening and being a simple fun pop song.

It's her MOST UNDERWHELMING lead single ever.

The public didn't warm to it either that's why it dropped of the charts so quickly around the world.

Before anyone says "but she scored top 10 in the US" I have one word - PAYOLA

Seriously, it still burns my ass when I fantasize about what could have been, in terms of a video. Just last week I was running on the treadmill and i damn near derailed myself envisioning the dance routine :lmao:

Bill post a video of the dance pls.

Payola helped the single go top 10 inUS, but it also peaked at #6 on the Hot Digital Sales chart

If there was zero interest from the public in the song and it was all payola it wouldn't of spent 3 weeks in the top 10 of the digital single sales chart

Interestingly since Billboard decided to add YouTube views to their Hot 100 formula this past year, GMAYL would of peaked much higher on the Hot 100, possibly even top 5

And 4 Minutes from 2008, would of had a very good chance of going to #1 with this new formula as it's YT views, before Warners deleted it were huge.

I cannot dislike the song 100% because of the great video...and I cannot say it's a terrible song either...but surely it's not in my Madonna playlist of songs ...only in the video playlist :laugh:

It's her MOST UNDERWHELMING lead single ever.

The public didn't warm to it either that's why it dropped of the charts so quickly around the world.

Before anyone says "but she scored top 10 in the US" I have one word - PAYOLA

Look I get your anger and frustration with MDNA sales and the era failure on the singles chart, but I think you're scapegoating GMAYL unfairly. You say the public didn't warm to it but helloooooo radio didn't play it (esp in UK) so nobody heard it. Why don't you blame GGW? That truly bombed and that sunk the album. Again no promotion and radio hates Madonna. Even Hung Up would flop in this day and age. People hate 55 year old women who sing pop songs about being a girl. They want older women to conform and sing ballads. It will take a mighty effort from Madonna to change the publics fixed views. Despite the lack of support, GMAYL sold the album. Not GGW and definitely not TUTR.

My friends didn't know she had an album out

You need new friends :stir:

Hahaha, I forced my friends/ roommates to watch the SB performance & I often blasted MDNA on the living room sound system. They eventually grew to love Madonna. They had no choice.

They should have never changed the name from "luv" to "luvin'"

It never should have been changed from "love" to "luvin"

Didn't the title get changed multiple times in the press releases? :chuckle:

I really love the video. M is stunning on it. One of the best videos in the last ten years.

The song is funny/catchy but is the worst lead single from her career ever in my opinion.

The demo was leaked in November 2011 and it was released as a single in February 2012.

The 10th @ HOT100 is a good peak.