The Producer Predicament! (1984 letter from Madonna to Sire Records CEO.)

Mattress

I demand more stuff like this surface!

Madonna's 1984 hand-written letter to Seymour Stein CEO of Sire records:

madletter_zpsd4fce3d4.jpg

"Seymore, Hi remember me? Im the girl that drives your limo’s around indiscriminantly. If you don’t give me one of those sweat shirts I’m signing with another label but if you consent to my wishes then I would like to consult with you on another matter; the Producer predicament.

Trevor Horn 1 or 2 songs
Jellybean 1 or 2 songs

The rest is between Nile Rodgers or Narada Michael Walden now I’m beginning to wonder if either is right. Shirly suggested Laurie Latham who produced Paul Young.

What do you think??

Here I am forced to choose a man once again. Help me!!!

Furious

Love,

Madonna”

----

She wasn't even sure of Nile Rodgers... Instead of Like A Virgin, girl could have vastly altered the pop landscape and potentially squandered her career by releasing a pedestrian R&B record the likes of which Whitney Houston would record the following year. :D

One of my favorite things about this is that it highlights one of the major differences between Madonna and the average pop tart. Even at that early stage in her career SHE was in the position of deciding who to work with. She wasn't a puppet doing what the label told her.

Better still, it shows that instead of taking that power and letting her ego steer the project into something subpar, she was smart enough to consult with and seek the advice of people at her label who could help her to make the best overall decisions.

I'd love to read Stein's response! :D

NMW is bland, do no, thanks. Trevor, however, would have been cool.

One of my favorite things about this is that it highlights one of the major differences between Madonna and the average pop tart. Even at that early stage in her career SHE was in the position of deciding who to work with. She wasn't a puppet doing what the label told her.

Better still, it shows that instead of taking that power and letting her ego steer the project into something subpar, she was smart enough to consult with and seek the advice of people at her label who could help her to make the best overall decisions.

I'd love to read Stein's response! :D

Mattress, totally agree. Her sense of humour shines through as usual as well.

Guest bluejean

Narada, that would have been good but kind of generic. Not anywhere near as good as Nile. Trevor Horn would have been fabulous though for afew tracks.

I'm glad that she didn't choose Narada Michael Walden.I like some of the songs that he produced for others,but I don't think his style was suitable for Madonna.She wanted an edgy sound,while Narada specializes in "safe",glossy pop/R&B....like Whitney's "How Will I Know".Decent song,but it's kinda boring.