Happy 20th Birthday - THE GIRLIE SHOW!

Jamesy

Today 20 years ago I went to London - first time away from home on my own and first time I would ever see Madonna. Friday September 24th 1993!

Arrived late afternoon - gorgeous sunny and warm weather - went straight to her hotel where I got chatting to some fans and then we headed to Wembley Stadium where Madonna was doing her final rehearsals for the premiere the next day.

Unbelievable - I heard her do "Erotica", "Fever", "Rain", "Deeper & Deeper", "Justify My Love". It was spine tingling stuff and I was recording it all with my camcorder (couldn't see much interesting except the top of the stage with the huge "Girlie Show" sign.

Then back to her hotel in the evening where I saw Pamela Anderson (she was staying there too) and Christopher. Madonna arrived back late and went in via the back so I missed her.

Here's 3 videos from that day - GMTV (breakfast TV) reporting Madonna's demise in the morning as I got packed and ready to head to the airport ("she's a star of the 80s - time to call it a day" - yawn).

Then a clip from my Wembley Rehearsal footage.

Finally - the fans screaming outside her hotel at night. One of them can't even spell her name! ;) ;)

http://www.madonna-tv.com/2013/09/1993-eve-of-girlie-show-premiere.html

More videos tomorrow!!!

Today 20 years ago I went to London - first time away from home on my own and first time I would ever see Madonna. Friday September 24th 1993!

Arrived late afternoon - gorgeous sunny and warm weather - went straight to her hotel where I got chatting to some fans and then we headed to Wembley Stadium where Madonna was doing her final rehearsals for the premiere the next day.

Unbelievable - I heard her do "Erotica", "Fever", "Rain", "Deeper & Deeper", "Justify My Love". It was spine tingling stuff and I was recording it all with my camcorder (couldn't see much interesting except the top of the stage with the huge "Girlie Show" sign.

Then back to her hotel in the evening where I saw Pamela Anderson (she was staying there too) and Christopher. Madonna arrived back late and went in via the back so I missed her.

Here's 3 videos from that day - GMTV (breakfast TV) reporting Madonna's demise in the morning as I got packed and ready to head to the airport ("she's a star of the 80s - time to call it a day" - yawn).

Then a clip from my Wembley Rehearsal footage.

Finally - the fans screaming outside her hotel at night. One of them can't even spell her name! ;) ;)

http://www.madonna-tv.com/2013/09/1993-eve-of-girlie-show-premiere.html

More videos tomorrow!!!

OMG I was outside her hotel at night. Im scared to click on the link....

Edit-Thank the lord its a blury video. Hahaha. We paid a fortune for the Hyde Park hotel up the road, where she usually stays, we got there and she'd gone to the @Lanesborough :( 2 nights at £300 a night!

Thing is I didn't even stay in our posh room I was stood outside her window. Saw Christopher and the dancers all go out clubbing. M didn't go. I did sit in her car though and rubbed my bum around the back seat. It wasn't a break in, it was left open round the back of the hotel. Some girl dared me to do it.

I was young and impressionable then. (I would've done it anyway to be honest).

OMG I was outside her hotel at night. Im scared to click on the link....

Edit-Thank the lord its a blury video. Hahaha. We paid a fortune for the Hyde Park hotel up the road, where she usually stays, we got there and she'd gone to the @Lanesborough :( 2 nights at £300 a night!

Thing is I didn't even stay in our posh room I was stood outside her window. Saw Christopher and the dancers all go out clubbing. M didn't go. I did sit in her car though and rubbed my bum around the back seat. It wasn't a break in, it was left open round the back of the hotel. Some girl dared me to do it.

I was young and impressionable then. (I would've done it anyway to be honest).

Wow! To think we were both there at the same time 20 years ago!

I didn't know any Madonna fans back then - but just got talking to some at the hotel when I arrived and then hung around with them a bit. I was so innocent and impressionable then too - it was such a big deal for me to be there.

Following the concert on Saturday evening, I went back to the hotel on Sunday - late morning - and hung around until late afternoon when she left for Wembley. This time I was ready out the back to see her and I got my video footage of her coming out the door and getting into her car (will upload that tomorrow). After seeing the show the night before - filming her on Sunday and being so close to her as she drove past me - words can't describe the feeling of elation. Up until that point in my life I had lived and breathed her every appearance in the media (all through the late 80s as a kid) and mostly I felt I would never live to see such a megastar up close in the flesh!

On my final day in London (Monday) I returned to the hotel hoping to see her leave again but I didn't. I did see Christopher again (he'd been out jogging) and I asked him for an autograph but he said no!

Looking back over the video footage I have and thinking about those things - it's all so very vivid to me. Feels wierd. In some ways like a lifetime ago (I was so young and my life so different) but in some ways just like yesterday. *sigh* :-)

Oh, such wonderful memories. I'll never forget Tuesday, October 19, 1993. I was 15, it was my very first concert. First time ever seeing Madonna in person, my seats were crappy and she was so far away and so tiny. I remember getting to the Spectrum hours before the concert because I was under the delusion that I might see her pull up and walk into the stadium :chuckle: However, I was first in line at the doors, and if I looked closely through the lobby and under the crack of the door that lead to the auditorium, I could see her rehearsing on stage. Hearing the soundcheck was magical. She sang bits of Rain and Deeper and Deeper. It was soooo exciting... I couldn't sleep for days leading up to it, and I kept a countdown in my Biology notebook for a couple months. :lol:

My 16th birthday present

Best concert ever

Plus the memory of the gaggle of six biker dykes in leather in front of me losing their shit To Bye Bye Baby

Wow! To think we were both there at the same time 20 years ago!

I didn't know any Madonna fans back then - but just got talking to some at the hotel when I arrived and then hung around with them a bit. I was so innocent and impressionable then too - it was such a big deal for me to be there.

Following the concert on Saturday evening, I went back to the hotel on Sunday - late morning - and hung around until late afternoon when she left for Wembley. This time I was ready out the back to see her and I got my video footage of her coming out the door and getting into her car (will upload that tomorrow). After seeing the show the night before - filming her on Sunday and being so close to her as she drove past me - words can't describe the feeling of elation. Up until that point in my life I had lived and breathed her every appearance in the media (all through the late 80s as a kid) and mostly I felt I would never live to see such a megastar up close in the flesh!

On my final day in London (Monday) I returned to the hotel hoping to see her leave again but I didn't. I did see Christopher again (he'd been out jogging) and I asked him for an autograph but he said no!

Looking back over the video footage I have and thinking about those things - it's all so very vivid to me. Feels wierd. In some ways like a lifetime ago (I was so young and my life so different) but in some ways just like yesterday. *sigh* :-)

OMG yeah we mustve seen each other. Hahaha. Id just left school and was a trainee at a travel agents on £40 a week! I still owe my mum the money hahahaha.