The mid '99 to mid 00' era thread !

Pressston

I just wanted to make a thread to celebrate the mid 1999 to mid 2000 Madonna era ! I hope some of you loved that year with Madonna as much as i did and still do.

A year between two great albums, Ray of Light & Music. A happy Madonna, finally back to music success worldwide, with a growing little girl at age of 3, her first child, with lots of projects in her head (Mirwais, Music) but who also wanna give her fans some goodies all along the year until her new album.

the amazing and fun Beautiful Stranger !

A dancing Madonna while getting her award for Beautiful Stranger

part1/2

This was such a fun time for me, as a fan. Between Beautiful Stranger, American Pie, Time Stood Still, and of course MUSIC... it was such a celebratory period and definitely worth appreciating!!!

My favorite memories are:

riding around the summer of '99 in my friend's Jeep, listening to BS on the radio

going to see her on TRL (I didn't get in the studio but the energy outside was INTENSE)

seeing TNBT in the theaters like 3 or 4 times

dancing in the clubs to mixes of Music and Don't Tell Me

What a great time to be a fan!!!

Thank you for this thread, a truly magical time in her life and a magical time to be a fan. It was a great period in my life also, final year of school and just such a feeling in the year with the coming millenium and my coming of age as an adult.

In Australia it just felt like hit after hit after hit. We got two number one's in one year (Music & American Pie) as well as two massive top 5 singles (Don't Tell Me & Beautiful Stranger).

I am so pissed Beautiful Stranger wasnt released as a physical single in the US. Based on airplay alone it peaked at #19. Had it had a physical release it easily would have been another top 10/top 5 for Madonna.

Great thread.

By far my favorite thing about that year (prior to the release of Music) was Beautiful Stranger. It was in such heavy rotation and it also showcased a fun but mature sound after Ray of Light. It built on the sound of ROL, and previewed the style of music that was to come. Sure, by now that sound is a bit "tired" (IAS, Amazing in particular come to mind), but still fantastic. Wish she had sung it on the MDNA Tour.

part 3/3

The nice ballad Time Stood Still

[media=]

[/media]

Time Stood Still is more than just a "nice" ballad. The song is a beautiful now hidden Madonna gem. Shame it didnt make it onto one of her studio albums and instead got buried on a movie soundtrack. The song is gorgeous.

I'm glad i'm not the only one who has lovely memories from that year, reading all your personal comments it reflects very well the vibe of that period, very positive. Indeed, as some you said, it was a great time to be a fan.

Thank you for this thread, a truly magical time in her life and a magical time to be a fan. It was a great period in my life also, final year of school and just such a feeling in the year with the coming millenium and my coming of age as an adult.

In Australia it just felt like hit after hit after hit. We got two number one's in one year (Music & American Pie) as well as two massive top 5 singles (Don't Tell Me & Beautiful Stranger).

You i know i can see myself in your comment, because if i remember correctly we're almost same age (i was born in 1982), and actually during that period between 99 and 00, it was also my final year at school, the beginning of the new millennium and at the same time i was about to step into the adult age, and all this with Madonna radiating happiness !

Great pictures! I loved her hair during that time. I liked the slighter shorter cut and the strawberry blonde color. It was slightly different than the usual longer blonde, but still very "Madonna".

What kills me on these pics i posted above is that she's not even in a nightclub, just a party, and you can clearly see nobody's dancing or moving, everyone is standing still, chatting quietly, and there is one crazy storm dancing her ass off like she's in the middle of a dancefloor and that's our girl lmaoooo she's crazy and i love her !

She definitely looked the BEST ever in the Beautiful Stranger video, that's for sure.

It was also fun and exciting to guess what her next look would be like. From Geisha to Cowgirl in just a year, then two unexpected Soundtrack Singles in between...great times to be a fan because she seemed to have so much fun. Considering all that, it's even more surprising how dark the Drowned World Tour turned out.

Agree a great time in her career. Really loved my personal favorite Time Stood Still, and the Beautiful Stranger single and video were awesome.

Appreciated that she was being creative, and experimenting with new sounds for the Music album with Mirwais.

She was a slutty party momma during that period and I love it. I wouldn't be surprised if she was under the influence of a drug of some sort. I kid I kid. But I would approve anyway.

it was a marvelous time.

Preach it.

Beautiful Stranger doesn't get a lot of credit for being one of her best and most enduring hits, IMO. I think because it was attached to such a silly movie, it just conjures up images of Mike Myers playing a dentally challenged Brit :rotfl: But as a standalone song it's just THE BEST EVER. I am still not sick of it all these years later.

Guest Pud Whacker

Preach it.

Beautiful Stranger doesn't get a lot of credit for being one of her best and most enduring hits, IMO. I think because it was attached to such a silly movie, it just conjures up images of Mike Myers playing a dentally challenged Brit :rotfl: But as a standalone song it's just THE BEST EVER. I am still not sick of it all these years later.

totally.

and the two songs were so played out everywhere!!! if they werent on maverick and she wasnt trying to shift cd's, they would have been top 10 singles. but they were never released properly.

it was a particularly sweet time after ray of light which had a beautiful darkness around it. it was sexy and pop again. i really love this entire period for there are so many fond memories attached.

heat17.jpgheat18.jpgheat25.jpg

Weren't those pictures taken at the Talk Magazine launch party on Liberty Island, or was that the one with the baby blue tank top?

Was a total injustice that Beautiful Stranger only got to #2 in the UK but it felt like it was the hit of the summer nonetheless. Wasn't 'Be Careful' around this time also - love that track. It was a great time to be a Madonna fan for sure