Ray Of Light 15th Anniversary Thread

cosmic_system

"Ray Of Light" was out as Madonna's current single this time 15 years ago. It peaked at #5.

Had to bring this back up to post the latest fantastic TrevvieLand montage:

And moving us into the later part of 1998... "Drowned World/Substitute For Love" followed as a single in August, only outside of the US and backed with remixes of "Sky Fits Heaven".

Finally, "The Power Of Good-Bye" was released in late September just as Billboard was undergoing an overhaul allowing airplay-only songs to count toward the Hot 100 chart. This move would deny Madonna another top 10 from the Ray Of Light album as tons of previously ineligible songs flooded the chart the exact week "Power" peaked causing it to stall at a frustrating #11. :(

"Ray Of Light" was out as Madonna's current single this time 15 years ago. It peaked at #5.

Had to bring this back up to post the latest fantastic TrevvieLand montage:

And moving us into the later part of 1998... "Drowned World/Substitute For Love" followed as a single in August, only outside of the US and backed with remixes of "Sky Fits Heaven".

Finally, "The Power Of Good-Bye" was released in late September just as Billboard was undergoing an overhaul allowing airplay-only songs to count toward the Hot 100 chart. This move would deny Madonna another top 10 from the Ray Of Light album as tons of previously ineligible songs flooded the chart the exact week "Power" peaked causing it to stall at a frustrating #11. :(/>

I hate that airplay-only songs can chart and knowing that it cost "The Power of Good-Bye" a top 10 place on the charts makes it even worse. The Power of Good-Bye is one of my all time favourite Madonna songs and the video also is just magic.

^ It drives me nuts too. Radio has too much power and the rule change allowed rigged ish like the low-charting American Life-era to happen.

"American Life" was the #2 selling single at one point yet barely cracked the top 40 for a single week thanks to what was essentially a ban and slander shitstorm at Clear Channel controlled radio.

Does anyone have easy access to download the ROL instrumentals? I have a few, I have heard them all, but I didn't bother to download them all when they first appeared.....bad, lazy fan.

uploading right now !

Ray Of Light Instrumentals:

Candy_Perfume_Girl.mp3

Drowned_World.mp3

Frozen.mp3

Has_To_Be.mp3

Little Star.mp3

Mer_Girl.mp3

Nothing_Really_Matters.mp3

Power_Of_Goodbye.mp3

Ray_Of_Light.mp3

Shanti.mp3

Skin.mp3

Sky_Fits_Heaven.mp3

Swim.mp3

To_Have_And_Not_To_Hold.mp3

http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/46015242/file.html

• 1 year later...
Guest bluejean

I became a fan during the Like a Prayer era but this was the first Madonna album I bought on the day of its release. Since I was old enough to do so. I think I rode my pushbike to a CD store and purchased it. God knows how I got hold of the money, I probably collected coins from around the house :lol:

I remember listening to it for the first time and being swept away. I remember every day after school getting excited at the thought of getting home to listen to it once more.

What an incredible piece of art this album is. The current pop sluts could only dream about creating a work so incredible. It's better than anything those "serious" artists like Bjork and Torn Anus ever did. I was listening to songs like Mer Girl and I was thinking how amazing it was that Madonna took inspiration (and afew collaborators) from Bjork and did it better. Then I tried listening to Bjork's Post album and all I heard was Pud's Fish song :lol:

Honestly, I can't think of any female artist to create something as incredible as Ray of Light. As Oprah said, "Wow!"

Guest bluejean

Drowned World

Swim

Ray of Light

Nothing Really Matters

Sky Fits Heaven

Frozen

The Power of Goodbye

Mer Girl

Has To Be

ALL masterpieces. And the other songs are all great as well.

I can't believe that guy (whoever it was) rejected the offer to produce Little Star. I can sort of get why cos the demo sounds abit cringe but the final result is wonderful.

What an incredible piece of art this album is. The current pop sluts could only dream about creating a work so incredible. It's better than anything those "serious" artists like Bjork and Torn Anus ever did.

imho, "From the Choirgirl Hotel" was an excellent Tori Amos album, released in May 1998, which had its electronica-infused moments and created a unique sonic landscape.

Guest bluejean

imho, "From the Choirgirl Hotel" was an excellent Tori Amos album, released in May 1998, which had its electronica-infused moments and created a unique sonic landscape.

Where's Pud Whacker to tell us about her vagina spread over the piano stool or whatever? :lol:

Guest CzarnaWisnia

Where's Pud Whacker to tell us about her vagina spread over the piano stool or whatever? :lol:

The Tori vagina piano spread is featured in this :

but back to topic, I remember when ROL came out there was a special event at midnight the day it came out, and I went to the store to get it then, which was completely unheard of for me as I was a complete solo act at the time and didn't go out for stuff. It was so cool to be surrounded by Madonna fans and have the album play loud in the whole shop while staring at the gorgeous cover. Sadly, I came in too late to grab a special edition of the album :(

Guest CzarnaWisnia

To this day in my opinion this is the most gorgeous shot of Madonna ever taken. EVER.

1998%20-%20Madonna%20by%20Mario%20Testin

Yes me too, it's gorgeous. One thing that makes Madonna's pictures so special is her eyes and her look at the camera. Nowadays it's more often a more confrontational look, but in that picture she looks as mysterious as the Mona Lisa. There's something in her look I can't put it into words exactly. She looks really happy, both in a serene and excited kind of way, inviting us in.

I remember this big shining poster in a CD store, I used to go t the mall only to see it! It was the album cover, made of cardboard,at very sight. I always asked for it but at the end when the store closed for good, one DJ managed to get it and used as decoration in his new nightclub. He was a friend of mine, but even with my endless effort to get it, he didn't give it to me.

The remixes are the best ever until today!!

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone - I am living Ray of Light right now.

And I just kind of need to look like Madonna in The Power of Good-bye, as much as possible.

I have the chess board, the beach house, the fisherman and the dog, the handsome Croat model, and am a compact 39 yo blue eyed brunette divorcee with recent maternal tendencies and a mournful look... but I still need this outfit!

I know the sandals are Giuseppe Zanotti, but who designed her clothes here?

Sorry if this is an inappropriate place for this Q... any help much appreciated.

0e95d36b265ed096b4dc4c15f6f30a4a.jpghttp://media-

Hi everyone - I am living Ray of Light right now.

And I just kind of need to look like Madonna in The Power of Good-bye, as much as possible.

I have the chess board, the beach house, the fisherman and the dog, the handsome Croat model, and am a compact 39 yo blue eyed brunette divorcee with recent maternal tendencies and a mournful look... but I still need this outfit!

I know the sandals are Giuseppe Zanotti, but who designed her clothes here?

Sorry if this is an inappropriate place for this Q... any help much appreciated.

0e95d36b265ed096b4dc4c15f6f30a4a.jpghttp://media-

Can I borrow the beach house and Goron from you for a while ? :laugh:

I mean...

madonna-ray-of-light-album-cover-90s-mus

01) Drowned World/Substitute for Love

02) Swim

03) Ray of Light

04) Candy Perfume Girl

05) Skin

06) Nothing Really Matters

07) Sky Fits Heaven

08) Shanti/Ashtangi

09) Frozen

10) The Power of Good-Bye

11) Too Have and Not To Hold

12) Little Star

13) Mer Girl

14) Has to Be

The wonderful 5 videos, including the 10 awards-winner Ray of Light

ea0cd-madonna_3.jpg

Interviews, the looks, the inspiration and creativity, it was all too perfect in space and time!

• 2 months later...

I would love to see a Deluxe Edition of Ray of Light come out, maybe with these instrumental versions, other B-Sides, demos and stuff we've not even heard yet. Also it would be cool if they remixed it in high resolution 5.1 surround like they recently did for the 2014 deluxe edition of Songs From the Big Chair by Tears For Fears. Seems like the album would really shine in surround!