Ray Of Light 15th Anniversary Thread

cosmic_system

MTV's Ultra Madonna Weekend was in full swing this time 15 years ago. This was the final Madonna-themed weekend on MTV US...

verklempt3.jpg

... In addition to the UltraSound Inside Madonna: The Making Of Ray Of Light special, they ran the excellent 4-hour Madonna Videography special hosted by Kurt Loder during which they showed all of the clips for "Everybody" through "Frozen" (including "Justify My Love") interspersed with vintage 'Time Capsule' interviews and MTV News segments.

They also rebroadcasted past specials including Breakfast With Madonna (1990) and Dinner With Madonna (1991).

madonna+frozen.jpg

q.png (August 2002, as told to Johnny Black)

Inspired by motherhood, Hinduism, yoga and a "dwindling" English dance producer, the world’s most successful female singer set about reinventing herself. Armed with a "gaffer-taped" Atari and with her baby daughter manning the mixing desk, Madonna made Ray Of Light.

The mid-’90s showered material girl Madonna with a string of life-changing experiences, from the birth of her daughter to an awakening of interest in Eastern mysticism. Then, in May 1997, following the Evita soundtrack, she started work on an album that would reflect those changes, sell in truckloads and help create a new Madonna.

14 October 1996

Madonna gives birth to a baby girl, Lourdes, in Los Angeles.

Madonna: That was a big catalyst for me. It took me on a search for answers to questions I’d never asked myself before.

William Orbit: Long before we started working on the album, Madonna was going through changes. I think she was heading in the direction we eventually took anyway.

Madonna: I started studying the Kabbalah, which is a Jewish mystical interpretation of the Old Testament. I also found myself becoming very interested in Hinduism and yoga, and for the first time in a long time, I was able to step outside myself and see the world from a different perspective.

William Orbit: Madonna was itchy to make a change. and I came along at the right time. It bothers me when the press say, ‘William Orbit revived her dwindling career.’ It’s so not the case. If anything, she revived my dwindling career.

1 February 1997

The soundtrack to the film Evita reaches Number 1 In the UK.

William Orbit: Another important contributing factor to how Ray Of Light turned out was the Evita record which helped her grow as a singer, because she’d taken voice lessons.

Madonna: There was a whole piece of my voice I wasn’t using. And I was going to make the most of it.

Spring 1997

Madonna begins the writing process with various collaborators.

Madonna: I wrote with everybody — William, Pat Leonard, Rick Howes. I even wrote some tracks with Babyface but they never made it onto the album.

Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds: We came up with a couple of songs we liked before she changed her idea about the album’s direction.

March 1997

Madonna’s Maverick Records partner Guy Oseary rings William Orbit.

William Orbit: Guy rang and suggested I send some topes to her. I didn’t take it very seriously, so I didn’t send anything. Then he rang again, so I sent a DAT with 13 tracks on it.

Madonna: I was a huge fan of William’s earlier records, Strange Cargo 1 and 2 and all that. I also loved all the remixes he did for me and I was interested in fusing a kind of futuristic sound but also using lots of Indian and Moroccan influences and things like that, and I wanted it to sound old and new at the same time.

12 May 1997

William Orbit: Five days later, sitting in my garden, I got a call from Madonna. She said she was working on my tracks and would I like to come out and meet up with her. They sent me a plane ticket and off I went.

Early June 1997

Madonna and William Orbit meet in New York.

William Orbit: It was a day of sun and showers, and I remember I got drenched just as I arrived at her apartment block.

Madonna: William showed up with his plastic bag full of tapes… he arrived at my door looking like a drowned rat. He looked really fragile. He was very humble and unassuming and endearing, like a little boy. As soon as I met him, I liked him.

William Orbit: Her living-room hi-fi wasn’t working, so we adjourned to her gymnasium with another hi-fi. She played me the stuff she’d written with Babyface and Pat Leonard, and I’m sitting thinking, "These tracks sound very slick. What can I contribute?"

We spent the next week at the Hit Factory getting my backing tracks up in stereo, and she sang what she’d worked out, and it was clear that something was happening. At the end of that week, she said, "Would you work on my record?" and I said. I’d love to."

Mid-June 1997

Work begins at Larrabee North Studio, Universal City, LA.

William Orbit: The first day, I was in paralysis because I was used to going off and being left to get on with it, but she said, "I’m not the kind of girl that leaves the guy to get on with it. Get used to it." It took me a while to get used to someone looking over my shoulder.

Larrabee was a real state-of-the-art studio. I’d never even worked on an automated desk before. It wasn’t so much a learning curve as a learning cliff. I realised right away that my equipment was really superannuated, like my old Atari 1040, held together with gaffer tape. It caught fire twice on the sessions.

One minor hazard was that Lola (Lourdes) would come in every day and, like any toddler, she’d make a beeline for the knobs and buttons. We’d look away and the whole sound had changed. We had to keep an eye on her.

There weren’t a lot cf musicians around. Mostly it was just me, Madonna, Pat McCarthy, who was a briliant engineer, and a tape-op called Matt. On Ray Of Light every guitar you hear is me. On a lot of tracks I did everything.

Most of the tracks pre-existed, so Madonna would work on vocals and lyrics at home, or driving around in her car. It’s Important to point out that I wasn’t the only producer working on the LP. Patrick Leonard did some great work…

Madonna: As a classically trained musician, Patrick brought a whole other element to the mix, particularly his string arrangements…

William Orbit: About a third of the way through, I thought I was going to get fired. Madonna was used to working with super-slick producers, whereas I’m very lateral which she saw as being disorganised.

I went to her house to playback Power Of Goodbye. We’d taken the wrong DAT with us and she was not amused. I ended up saying "Gimme a week and I’ll turn this one round".

I virtually lived in the studio for that week, and from then on, it was great. She became confident that I knew what I was doing.

15 July 1997

Gianni Versace is shot dead outside his home in Miami Beach, Florida.

William Orbit: We were recording Swim on the day Versace was murdered. Madonna was very friendly with him and his sister, Donatella, who was in the street, distraught, on her cellphone to Madonna. But she did the vocal, which is probably why it has such an emotional impact.

Madonna: Ray Of Light (the track) is a mystical look at the universe and how small we are…

Christine Leach: My uncle, Clive Muldoon, and his partner, Dave Curtiss wrote a song in the 70s called Sepheryn, which became Ray Of Light. I’d been working with William one fateful night in 1996, in London. and he played me a backing track that fitted so well with the lyric to Sepheryn that I just started singing it.

William Orbit: It was excellent, and I said so. I thought she’d written it, and she didn’t say she hadn’t. So that was among the tracks on the original DAT I sent to Madonna.

Christine Leach: Later, I was sent a cassette in the post, of Madonna’s version of the track and I nearly fainted. She must have loved the track – even her ad libs are the same as mine.

William Orbit: The final track, Mer Girl was another crucial point for me. I was very proud of it, but there was outside pressure to change it, and she just said, "No, It’s a piece of art. Don’t touch it." I thought "I’m in good hands here." I knew I wouldn’t have to worry about the music being trampled on by A&R interventions.

Madonna: It’s a song about dealing with death. There’s the obvious thing about my mother’s death but also Princess Diana’s and Versace’s death. There seemed to be so much death actually around the time that I had written it.

3 March 1998

Ray Of Light is released.

Dave Curtiss: I didn't even know Ray Of Light had been recorded. A friend heard about it on the radio and told me. I was a bit annoyed at first because Madonna wanted 30 per cent just for changing a couple of lines, but then I realised that 15 per cent of millions is a lot better than 100 per cent of nothing. I did very well out of it. It’s been a life-changing experience. I’d say I’m financially secure for at least the next five to 10 years as a result of 15 per cent of one track by Madonna.

MTV's Ultra Madonna Weekend was in full swing this time 15 years ago. This was the final Madonna-themed weekend on MTV US...

verklempt3.jpg

... In addition to the UltraSound Inside Madonna: The Making Of Ray Of Light special, they ran the excellent 4-hour Madonna Videography special hosted by Kurt Loder during which they showed all of the clips for "Everybody" through "Frozen" (including "Justify My Love") interspersed with vintage 'Time Capsule' interviews and MTV News segments.

They also rebroadcast past specials including Breakfast With Madonna (1990) and Dinner With Madonna (1991).

I taped this and sat glued to the TV the entire weekend. Such an amazing time. It was my first time seeing certian more obscure videos (Deeper and Deeper, I Want You)...these were the days long before YouTube.

VH1 also had a Madonna Weekend in 1998 for her 40th BDay. They debuted the Behind the Music special at the finale.

Such a magical time.....truly it was.

Useless trivia: 7 of Ray Of Light's 13 tracks appeared on US 7" singles during 98-99. An additional 3 tracks from the album saw 7" release in the UK:

45-9_zpsb3cdcab7.png?t=136215387745-9b_zps41ee0a3e.png?t=1362153878

("Drowned World/Substitute For Love" would later be paired with "Music" as part of the US GHV2 7" series.)

45-9c_zps417fab8d.png?t=1362153878 (b-side of "The Power Of Good-Bye")

All tracks appeared in their full-length LP versions with the exception of "Sky Fits Heaven" which is the Sasha Remix Edit version.

Only "Swim", "Candy Perfume Girl" and "Skin" did not appear on an official 7" single release.

[/enduselesstrivia]

Warner Bros. went more multi-format cray than usual with the "Ray Of Light" single in the US.

Madonna-Ray-Of-Light-112547.jpg

Madonna_-_Ray_Of_Light_5439-17206-4.jpg

The 2-track CD, cassette and 7" single releases were savvily backed with something truly rare for Madonna, a non-album track. Unless you were a hardcore fan who'd plonked down $40+ to import the Japanese edition of Ray Of Light, "Has To Be" made the US "Ray Of Light" single an essential purchase.

The CD maxi single was a more standard affair featuring 3 remixes of the song, but the 12" maxi single was her first commercial double-pack stateside and added an add'l 4 remixes.

Fortunately for the digitally inclined these extra mixes made it onto a "part two" import CD single:

1246455.jpg

Finally, there was the "special limited edition" video single (each copy came with a numbered card inside) :

cWa3.jpg4670561257_9f8fc80da3.jpg

All of these helped "Ray Of Light" debut high on the Hot 100 at #5.

I think it really is an incredible piece of work, still stands as a great great album 15 years later and I dont think it has even dated. Image wise that period was her absolute peak if you ask me. Several people have said 98-2002 was really where she could do no wrong in the eyes of the critics and media and rightly so.

I have the ROL. video single. I was in the states on the day the single was release :wow:

I love the album. But personally, it will always be Erotica for me

Mattress! I've been listening to the album non-stop since a made this thread. I can't stop! Now, I want to know the tracklist of your 8 cds compilation!
I second this!

I just cleaned up every official version released commercially and promotionally (plus significant leaks) and ran it all like an expanded Ray Of Light singles box. I wanted to easily revisit everything this week and this way I won't damage my hard copies in transit, etc. :D

The main set is:

Disc 1 - The Ray Of Light album

official alternate versions:

Disc 2 - "Frozen" / "Shanti/Ashtangi"

Disc 3 - "Ray Of Light"

Disc 4 - "Ray Of Light" (cont'd) / "Has To Be" / "Drowned World/Substitute For Love" / "Sky Fits Heaven"

Disc 5 - "The Power Of Good-Bye" / "Mer Girl" / "Little Star" / "Nothing Really Matters"

Disc 6 - "Nothing Really Matters" (cont'd) / "To Have And Not To Hold"

Disc 7 - "Beautiful Stranger" / "Skin" / "Swim" / "Candy Perfume Girl" / "Be Careful (Cuidado Con Mi Corazon)"

plus:

Disc 8 - The Videos (spruced up DVD containing all 5 videos from Ray Of Light plus "Beautiful Stranger")

roltl_zps7ecdc259.png

I assembled a two disc supplemental set as well. Much excite. :lol:

The first contains 'needledrops' of the 6 official remixes only available on vinyl:

Frozen (William Orbit Drumapella) / Frozen (Victor Calderone Drumapella) / Nothing Really Matters (Club 69 Speed Dub)

Nothing Really Matters (Kruder & Dorfmeister In Dub) / Nothing Really Matters (Vikram Cybercut Remix) / Beautiful Stranger (Calderone Dub)

The other has both segments of Words & Music and the early demo recordings:

No Substitute For Love, The Power Of Good-Bye, To Have A Not To Hold, Little Star, Revenge, Gone Gone Gone, Like A Flower...

Mattress, you're nuts. In a good way. I've never heard those vinyl-only mixes. Are they on YouTube? And wasn't the K&D remix of NRM basically a dub mix to begin with? There were hardly any vocals (one of the big disappointments of mine, since I love them and that remix - just wish they'd used more vocals).

You should upload the set for us (ok, minus the album). I'm too much lazy do to all that work! :laugh::huh:

Sorry girl, private use only. :lol: Just gather everything in a folder on your computer and get to sorting... I'm here for research moral support. :D

EPK promotional video that was serviced to major media outlets around the time of the album's release:

Madonna-Ray-Of-Light-EPK-108570.jpg

I can't find the whole thing on YouTube, but the first half of this is MTV's shorter cut of the interview with subtitles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32pbQ58wt5E&feature=related

This is the same interview with Madonna heard on the Words + Music disc which was later included as a bonus disc with the Ray Of Light album in Japan

201145381_madonnarayof2cd03w0106.jpg

Mattress, you're nuts. In a good way.

:lol:Thanks.

I've never heard those vinyl-only mixes. Are they on YouTube? And wasn't the K&D remix of NRM basically a dub mix to begin with? There were hardly any vocals (one of the big disappointments of mine, since I love them and that remix - just wish they'd used more vocals).

The K&D dub is pretty similar to the released mix and is unfortunately just as sparse on vocals. It's actually the only one of the vinyl-only mixes I listed that was not officially issued by Warner Bros. It was a commissioned mix and comes from the same sessions as their released mix but it only made it out on a K&D white label release making it more of a "leak".

R-1216676-1201392435.jpeg

The other 5 all made it out to DJ's via Warner Bros.

R-454148-1330725579.jpeg

R-454148-1330725585.jpeg

R-531032-1278186010.jpeg

R-531031-1278186895.jpeg

R-534769-1278187786.jpeg

I scoured youtube and found three of them. If I come across the other two I'll link them.

Frozen (William Orbit Drumapella)

Nothing Really Matters (Club 69 Speed Dub)

Beautiful Stranger (Calderone Dub Mix)

http://youtu.be/4FmupFBekMA

Guest Rachelle of London

Mattress, I love these posts, keep them coming! What a wonderful era! Shows us how much the recent eras have lacked in terms of remixes, magazines, shoots etc