The American Life 10th anniversary thread

Roland Barthes

I find AL to be her most bold, daring, unconventional and least mainstream-conscious effort to date. I love that she had the balls to put it out there. It's a shame that it's commercial disappointment scared her so badly and she has been attempting to regain her mainstream radio acceptance ever since. AL is flawed, yes, but it is still a very strong pseudo-concept album. I am still in love with the mix of folk, classical, and electronic music. I think Easy Ride is one of her most beautifully orchestrated, yet most over looked gems.

The biggest mistake was how it was handled in the public eye, had she released another track as the title single and promoted the record as the celebrity-introspective that is truly is and not the anti-war statement that it never was things would have moved along very differently. When she decided to release the left field title track as the debut single and promote it with a controversial, anti-war music video, she should have went full on with it and stood by her artistic statement as she did with her sexual stances a decade prior. The video controversy could have really fueled and propelled a curiosity and interest the public was never really given a chance to explore. Looking back, no one disagrees that the war was a mistake, but in 2003, it was insanely taboo to speak out against it. She pulled the video and still got banned from radio. It would have been more "Madonna" for her to stick to her guns and accept the ban with two giant middle fingers proudly displayed. AL will forver be the Madonna album that "could of been a masterpiece"....it is my hope as a fan that she again stops caring about mainstream radio acceptance (something she will never have again, at least in the US) and start doing work that will be timeless, bold and unforgettable.

The album went good in France (more than 400 000 copies sold) and singles were well received except for Nothing Fails.

Love Profusion was a hit.

Maybe my favorite album !!

"Love Profussion" was a missed opportunity. That song is fantastic.

And "Easy Ride" is one of my favorite album tracks from her discography.

This isn't my favorite Madonna album by any means, and I do think some of the lyrics could've used a re-write or two, but I do appreciate it and what she was trying to do with the project.

Bonus points for giving us one of her best "recent" videos, in the original, withdrawn version of "American Life".

Oh, and she looks fucking amazing in those brunette photoshoots from the time.

Guest Not4Pussies

I adore it. Yes, the era sucked because at one point she really didn't care about it and went on with the english lady era, but the album is one of my favorite, probably my favorite from the last decade. It's such an important record to me.

:superman:

I read somewhere that American Life sold over 1 million copies in France alone and was quite popular there.

Didn't she also give a speech to that effect in Paris on the ReInvention Tour?

Guest sambassile

How much did American end up selling in total? What was its last tally??

I don't think it was the flop that everyone made it to be.

Admit it. USA couldnt accept critics and that is all. She did great album but it missed suport. From that era starts madonna ignorance on radiostations. Usa couldnt eat all those against bush staff and antiwar propaganda.

After all she moved in uk.

I read somewhere that American Life sold over 1 million copies in France alone and was quite popular there.

Didn't she also give a speech to that effect in Paris on the ReInvention Tour?

Yes, she did give a speech about France being the country where it sold the most, but the record sold around 450 000 not 1 million.

I think it has safely sold between the 5.5/6 million mark.

It shipped 4 million to date.

US - 700K sold

France - 480K sold

UK - 335K sold

Other countries have even lower figure than these.

4 million shipment is an optimistic figure.

5.5/6 million is a Mimi lamb's figure.

Love

Die Another Day - everything, every remix, video, lyrics, single cover = flawless

Hollywood - video was cool and loved all the remixes

Nobody Knows Me - loved the remixes and the official montage remix video

W Magazine shoot - loved it

Nothing Fails - love this track, should have had a video

American Life - only liked the Directors Cut video and the Down Tempo remix

Xstatic Process - really liked this track

I'm So Stupid - only liked the abandoned studio version for RIT

VMA's - loved this

Not so good

American Life - everything else about this single - what a mess

The album - hated the cover and rarely listen to the tracks not mentioned above - just can't get into it and it's the only time it's happened

Remixed + Revisted - tacky cheap project

Me Against The Music - no

TRL with 50 Cent - no

I think everyone thought Madonna sang I got Jew Under My Skin when they first heard Love profusion.

Guest Rachelle of London

I remember it being quite big here. I remember LP being used in the Estee Lauder commercial and everyone loving that song. I spent the summer of 2003 in the Bahamas and AL video was being played soooooo much, thats where I learnt the rap looool

Its so weird how everyone's musical taste varies so much, I consider NF to be one of Madonna's greatest songs, yet some people say its one of her worst. I think its a testament of how amazing Madonna's music is, that us as fans have so many genres and sounds to explore in just her discography alone. Must be so boring being a Mariah fan where everything just sounds the same.

So true!

American Life really divided her fans. Some hate it with passion, some love it.

I remember it being quite big here. I remember LP being used in the Estee Lauder commercial and everyone loving that song. I spent the summer of 2003 in the Bahamas and AL video was being played soooooo much, thats where I learnt the rap looool

Its so weird how everyone's musical taste varies so much, I consider NF to be one of Madonna's greatest songs, yet some people say its one of her worst. I think its a testament of how amazing Madonna's music is, that us as fans have so many genres and sounds to explore in just her discography alone. Must be so boring being a Mariah fan where everything just sounds the same.

I completely agree and I think those differences in taste are what keep people coming for more cause it's almost like they want to understand why they don't get something that the other fans are raving about, so sometimes it even digests and then they learn to appreciate a record they didn't initially like.

It's not always like that but as a pop artist, she's consistently refreshing whether at any given point, it's for one set of fans or another.