Seattle (October 2)

Nightshade

Lucky you! Are the shows sold out?

I think the second one has tickets left. However, I am sure both will be reported as "sell outs". My seats are probably better for the second show.

Guest pedrohdi

I think the second one has tickets left. However, I am sure both will be reported as "sell outs". My seats are probably better for the second show.

Have a great show, and as soon as you can, tell us all about it, please :)

Will do.

By the way, Michelle Obama is in Seattle today too - she is staying at the Westin (same hotel as Madonna). Wonder if she will run into her?

Will do.

By the way, Michelle Obama is in Seattle today too - she is staying at the Westin (same hotel as Madonna). Wonder if she will run into her?

Imagine. that is just too much awesomeness :wow:

Have a blast Nightshade!

Heard a rumor that the tour dancers were out last night at a dive bar in the University district. No photos though, could be gossip.

The gay community is on overload here. For a "melancholy" city, her arrival has certainly electrified the laid back homosexual masses.

I'm staying at the Westin downtown Seattle. Madonna is indeed staying in the same hotel. I'm so excited. Michelle Obama is also staying here

you're staying at the same hotel as madonna? holy shit that's so cool :wow:

in other news , i can exclusively reveal that our very own SVPERSTAR will be attending the 3rd October show with his significant other.

in the end i wish you all a great time at the show

fbdrt1.gif

Why didnt Madonna do 30,000-40,000 size stadiums in the US in one night instead of performing two nights at most cities? (like she did in Europe)?

Gawd I hope not. I want to be able to at least see her not see a dot on the screen.

Thanks everyone for the well-wishes! :)

Someone told me Solveig is opening, but we'll see. I am trying to tell all my friends that she doesn't come on until after 10PM to minimize the bitching.

Anyway, I am off to pre-funk with my peeps! I will try to post updates in here as I can, however bandwidth/internet may be slow with that many gays in the arena. I got a Samsung Galaxy today specifically so I could shoot footage - hopefully I know what I am doing. I will upload when I can.

Later!

Guest Not4Pussies

It seems Guy O didn't do a Twitter GT tix contest for Seattle concerts.

Since he just tweeted he is not attending the shows.

I hope it's not the same for LA.

It seems Guy O didn't do a Twitter GT tix contest for Seattle concerts.

Since he just tweeted he is not attending the shows.

I hope it's not the same for LA.

Apparently it's his birthday...40 :)

Still think he should have run the comp though....L.A. will be on I am sure!

Obviously guy is attending the shows' as he started posting fans pictures as he does for each show.

I just got home!

WOW. This show is nothing short of phenomenal as a live spectacle. Worth every goddam penny and she works her ass of for her money, let me tell you!

The show started at approx. 10:30PM. Martin Solveig actually did an ok job warming up the crowd. He played "Beautiful Killer" (which actually got a good response despite being a relatively unknown bonus track) and he played "Love Spent" as well. He ended with his hit "Hello" which got an above average response. Before he left the stage, he said this Seattle crowd was the best "arena" of the tour so far, which I find hard to believe. They were responsive, but not overwhelmingly so.

The crowd was definitely skewed older and female. Of course the gays were there and the occasional straight guy who was dragged by his wife or girlfriend. Overall, I would say the crowd for Madonna's portion of the evening was pretty good, at least for Seattle. Our concert crowds tend to be a little zombie-like. Maybe it's the overcast skies. Anyway, I'd give the crowd a B+ for effort.

The crowd went mental for the entrance. Especially after the cathedral glass shatters. Dear lord, that opening really gets people up!

"Girl Gone Wild" - decent opener. Still not my most favorite but it works wonderfully for this tour and she sang it live (and wasn't too bad either).

"Revolver" - I was surprised that the crowd was a little more into this than I expected. I especially liked the lighting effects for this number. They tie into the music and it seems like the arena is being showered with bursts of light from a machine gun. Cool effect.

"Gang Bang" - This number obviously seemed unfamiliar to most people, but when she shot the first assailant and blood splashed on the screen the crowd was SUCKED IN and loved it! This number got a great response. I even got swept up in the excitement and screamed along "DRIVE BITCH and while you're at it DIE BITCH!" It was so fucking awesome.

I thought more people would be excited for the first big catalog hit - "Papa Don't Preach" - but dare I say "Gang Bang" got a better reception. They definitely responded to the opening of "Papa" as they recognized it, but I guess I expected more.

"Hung Up" wasn't as bad as I was expecting. However, it's presented in such a strange form, I don't think the crowd knew what to do with it. All the voodoo rituals on the screens (or whatever) and no major use of the ABBA sample made this one sort of lost in the shuffle. Madonna's brief wire-walking was well-received though.

"I Don't Give A" had somewhat of a subdued response. After Nicki Minaj's kickin' cameo though, the crowd was more into it and singing along with the chorus. This is the point where I really noticed how bad the sound was in the arena. Key Arena isn't known for great acoustics. It sounds a little like a tin can/ echo chamber. It was very difficult to understand the verses on this song, but the chorus was fine.

The "Bestfriend/Heartbeat" interlude is officially my least favorite part of this show. The dancers for the interlude do wonderfully painful-to-watch contortions, but overall, the song is grating and I think it is a mood killer after such an awesome opening set of songs.

"Express Yourself" got TONS of love. Arms waiving, bitches screaming the lyrics, and it was pure energy. Even the Gaga diss was taken well. People laughed and rocked along. I did notice during this number that Madonna seemed a little "going through the motions". She is no doubt tired of this tour, and she dropped her baton at one point and didn't even try that hard to pick it back up. Like "oh well." She seemed kind of unplugged during part of this number.

"Turn Up the Radio" was obviously unfamiliar to most, but after the second verse, people were really into this and singing along. It felt wonderful. Some people around me were like "I don't know this one, but it's great!"

Now, we come to "Give Me All Your Luvin'"....I still cannot STAND this song, but I have to admit something: Live, it really rocks the house. The visual production of this track, from its aerial drumline to the hi-NRG cheerleader choreography and Madonna busting her ass, is nothing short of a CROWD ROCKER. People were very much into it, even though I refused to sing those crap lyrics. Begrudgingly, I must admit this song works really well on this tour.

"Open Your Heart" didn't really get the crowd going until the full-on Basque dancing started. She did let the audience sing along, and apparently they did better than the people in Vancouver as she seemed somewhat pleased. Rocco came out and danced with her and it was a great moment. My friend that went with commented that seeing her son dance with her was one of his favorite parts.

SPEECH: Madonna didn't say too much for her speech tonight. She did comment that her throat was scratchy from all the "pot smokers in Vancouver" but she appreciate us not smoking during the show. They actually did announce over the PA before she came on that smoking was absolutely not permitted, although I know I smelled pot in my section about half way through the show. She also commented about her first Virgin Tour date being in Seattle and that she always remembered how great that was. She seemed tired, but in a good mood for the most part. She also (once again) thanked her fans for their love and support and mentioned that she never takes it for granted (as she has said at many other shows).

Edit: She did do the "Holiday" bit. I think she was "satisfied" with the "Open Your Heart" singers in the Golden Triangle. Everyone loved hearing this song.

Then came "Masterpiece." Everyone sat down almost simultaneously. Madonna joked that "this song is from her movie she directed, it was #1 at the box office and won many Academy Awards." Obviously she was kidding. However, I have to tell all of you something: the emotional resonance of this track must have really come through, because although everyone (except the Golden Triangle) seemed to sit for this whole performance, I believe it got one of the biggest applause moments of the night (at least from my ears). After all the flash and hype, Madonna really delivered a touching track and she did a great vocal job too. People (seeming uninterested at first), really responded at the end. It was a nice surprise. Even the older couple in front of me (a woman in her 50's and her husband) held hands during this song. Corny, I know, but people seemed to liked it a lot. Who knew? Maybe Russia is on to something because this track is still climbing the airplay chart there.

Next was the interlude for "Justify My Love." This is a great fucking interlude to me, and it has an awesomely dark, but humorous, choreography. The clowns creep me the fuck out, and that is awesome, but their dancing is nothing short of phenomenal. So in-sync, so complex. I think the audience actually was in to this interlude. I especially loved how the clowns exited through the trap door in pairs...one of them locked in a haunted waltz and gleefully throwing themselves into the pit beneath the stage. So awesome. Loved it.

"Vogue" brought everyone back to their feet. The fact that she sang this one somewhat "unreinvented" - or close to the original - was very well-liked. I love the costumes here. Gaultier is her perfect match. The stark elegance of their wardrobe...a fashion parade snaking down the dual catwalk like a black and white centipede. A gorgeous number. Crowd loved it.

"Candy Shop" was so-so. I still don't know why she added this to the set list. It was ok I guess, but I much preferred the "Erotica" snippet injected into this sexy lounge number. Brahim is so hot. I did like the stage atmosphere of this track, however. The 20's-style elegance awash in violet lights and pink wallpapers, the giant chandelier, the waiter serving her a martini. It reminded me of a scene from an old movie set in south Florida during the early 20th century. It has some kind of theatrical humidity that I cannot quite put my finger on.

"Human Nature" and its opening chords drifted in at this time and the crowd ROARED. I was like "This wasn't even a very big hit?" I guess it didn't matter to Seattle. I thought the arrangement of six mirrors on the stage and their impressive shuffling to reveal fragments of dancers (as well as Madonna) was a genius artistic move. It really gave the song some new life.

SHORT SPEECH: Madonna stripped to reveal her tattoo. Once again, it was OBAMA. The fucking crowd was a goddam NUCLEAR sombitch for this. Seattle loves Obama more than life. I think this actually got the biggest cheers of the night. She made some comments but I did not catch them all. She said something like, "I love Obama even if he is a Christian"...or something like that. She definitely acknowledged that she knows he is Christian. She also said, "President Obama will have a second term, I promise you that!" Again, the crowd was practically masturbating itself with those words. Our President is very popular here.

Next, "Like A Virgin." I was scared for this track. Personally, I liked this sad reinterpretation. As others in here have noted, it gives the show an emotional core. I agree with that. I was more worried what all those bitches dressed up as brides would think of their classic being slowed down and sang as a lament. Surprisingly, it went down really well. REALLY WELL. Lots of cheering and applause - throughout the whole song. This song also resonated well with the melancholy Seattle crowd. I was pleasantly surprised, again.

Here is where I held my breath....would she do "Love Spent". I was scared she wouldn't.

BUT SHE DID! She did "Love Spent" - almost all of it, I think.

I was so happy I almost cried. I am totally not kidding. I sang along at the top of my lungs. I am sure everyone around me thought me insane. However, I have to say, this obscure (well, to non-fans) track, got a fairly good response.

The "Nobody Knows Me" interlude went down fine. Swastika is definitely in. It's such an awesome and powerful collection of imagery, and Madonna looks so hot in it. I got the impression the audience was a little "shell shocked" by this disparate collage. Seattle is highly political (in a liberal sense) and I got the feeling it was appreciated, but it wasn't like a crowd-cheering interlude, if that makes sense. I suppose the content is a bit heavy to applaud or something. I still think it is one of her most powerful interludes ever.

"I'm Addicted" is actually better live than I thought. When I saw YouTube videos I thought it was a moment killer, and although no one but hardcore fans (particularly those in the golden triangle) seemed to know it. The crowd did seem enraptured by it and applauded well when it was over. Almost everyone sat through this performance though. I still think it was better than I had anticipated, and I love this song. The techno Tai Chi seemed too "control" for such an aggressive, out of control song. Oh well.

"I'm A Sinner" - people seemed rather ambivalent about this one. They did like the transformation of the "trains" into ancient Hindu temples. It was at this point more than any other I overheard comments like, "This stage is fucking phenomenal" and "This production kicks ass." I was the lone person ecstatic for "Cyberraga" and I sang along with Madonna whole-heartedly. I really did like this number (visually and musically). It was a nice "fan" moment.

Almost at the end now, and "Like A Prayer" starts. This was the ultimate moment of the night for this audience. Old people that were there got up. It was like church - and everyone danced. Everyone in my field of vision. Arms were in the air, and hands clapped. There was an overwhelming sense of oneness in that arena. I saw a fucking grandpa shaking his ass to this song with his old lady wife. It was so cute. They had floor seats and sat most of the show, but THIS song got those decrepit old asses up and moving. It was a Christmas miracle (early). Loved every second of it!!!

Alas, the end had to come and its face was "Celebration." It is really too bad more people never got to know this throwaway hit, because the Benassi remix is killer in a fucking concert setting. The choreography really got people in the audience fired up too. Despite the fact that she didn't end with a "Ray of Light" or "Music", I think this song still did its job. The venue responded really well and people seemed to exit the place very happy.

Some people clapped and screamed expecting an encore, but me and my friends high-tailed it out ASAP. Two people in my group like Madonna but didn't love MDNA and both of them said, "I think I need to listen to that album again, I really liked everything I heard tonight." I was kind of shocked since they were giving Madge back-handed compliments all during our walk to the arena. Fairweather bitches.

My other friend doesn't care about Madonna and he didn't say too much. I think he was really tired, but he's a man of few words anyway. I did ask him, "Was it worth the ticket?" And he did say (right before I dropped him off at home), "Yeah, she is pretty amazing. Probably the best stage effects I've ever seen. Thanks for convincing me into this thing. I can cross Madonna off my bucket list."

And that, ladies and gentlemen, was my first evening with Madonna this year. :)

I forgot to add that she did do "Holiday" after "Open Your Heart." It was brief - as with other shows - but everyone stood up and danced. So that was cool. I was worried she'd think we were as lame as Vancouver's previous crowd and cut the number, but she was obviously happy with our participation.

:)

I love this woman so much. She really made my year with this tour.

i hope she does holiday in la next week,, looks like she skipped it this time...nice review btw :)

Thanks...and I did have to make an edit. She did perform "Holiday" tonight. I think she thought our crowd was satisfactory. And they were. Not Argentina-awesome, but better than either of us probably expected.