ACROSS THE SKY just Leaked

acko

The bitching cracks me up. We're lucky to even hear the song. It seems this song was never intended to be released, so how it sounds it quite irrelevant to me since it could still been a song they were considering re-working if they were going to include it. Otherwise, it was left off for a reason.

Is it one of her best? No. But it ain't bad. It's enjoyable.

Guest ursaminorjim

Well it's part of the production.

Yes and no. Production has more to do with the arrangement, instrumentation...the ingredients, if you will. The mixing is more akin to preparation. In my opinion, the mixing is very slapdash at best - I'd be very curious to know what the hell kind of speakers Timbabland uses for playback in the studio. Or how long he's been deaf, for that matter. :lol:

Of course, this is most likely a leaked rough mix. Then again, considering some of the sonic whoppers on Hard Candy...maybe not.

Yes and no. Production has more to do with the arrangement, instrumentation...the ingredients, if you will. The mixing is more akin to preparation. In my opinion, the mixing is very slapdash at best - I'd be very curious to know what the hell kind of speakers Timbabland uses for playback in the studio. Or how long he's been deaf, for that matter. :lol:

Of course, this is most likely a leaked rough mix. Then again, considering some of the sonic whoppers on Hard Candy...maybe not.

Voices on the album sounds the same. To me a producer should say YES or NO to a mixing and if he wanted this kind of distorted sound, well it's part of the production.

The Paper Faces mix of Let It Will Be sounded like it, but it was actually working on that remix. On this new song it's not woking very well, and please don't let me start with Voices.

Guest ursaminorjim

The bitching cracks me up. We're lucky to even hear the song. It seems this song was never intended to be released, so how it sounds it quite irrelevant to me since it could still been a song they were considering re-working if they were going to include it. Otherwise, it was left off for a reason.

Yes yes yes, broken record, we all know you have a different standard of acceptability w/r/t the sonic merits of Madonna's work. No need to constantly call people out for finding fault where you hear none. Quit being so negative, and ignore it already.

(cue Voguer in 5...4...3...)

Guest ursaminorjim

Voices on the album sounds the same. To me a producer should say YES or NO to a mixing and if he wanted this kind of distorted sound, well it's part of the production.

The Paper Faces mix of Let It Will Be sounded like it, but it was actually working on that remix. On this new song it's not woking very well, and please don't let me start with Voices.

"Voices" and "Devil wouldn't recognize you," actually. :lol: I just don't understand how something so patently inappropriate makes it through quality control. I mean, it's not impoosible to have a righteously bowel-shaking sub-bass tone that doesn't clip (just listen to Kanye West's 808s and Heartbreak or any of the early LFO* albums!).

But that's another discussion entirely.

As for the song? It feels better as an extra track than within the context of Hard Candy, I think. It's not dissimilar enough from "Miles away" and "Devil wouldn't recognize you" (both thematically and sonically) to sit well on the album. But I dig it.

*to avoid confusion, that's the Leeds band electro LFO, not the godawful boyband from the late 90s.

I've had it on repeat since it leaked a few hours ago lol can't get enough of it, absolutely lovin' it!

Yeah I'm liking it more and more. I love the lyrics.

I'm no stranger to deception

I have lied and been lied to

I'm no paragon of virtue

But I want to be with you

Um.. okay :blink:

It's not bad at all for an outtake really but I'm somewhat disappointed as this was the track that sounded most interesting from the description and the one I most was looking forward to hearing.

It was described as a song where Justin and Madonna "sing some very high notes". Erm.. :confused: Not really.

But it's alright.

I dig it. Don't know if I'll love it in the long run, but it has potential. And I'm fine with the distortion in the mixing, as I was with the distortion in "Voices."

Having said that, I also wouldn't mind an unofficial release of some version of "Hard Candy" with all the Timbaland/Pharrell bits stripped away with some proper production. These boys make her sound more gimmicky than Mirwais ever did.

Guest bluejean

Great lyrics.

I like the production, I'm going to assume the distortion wouldn't have been on the final mix since this is a leaked version. Doesn't bother me anyway.

The song itself is pretty good, nothing outstanding and I can see why it was left off being too similar to Miles Away in style.

I'm not sure if the distortion on any CD or music is the fault of bad mixing; mastering seems to be the issue. The music may have sounded great in the studio, well-mixed and engineered. But now the music has to be mastered to make CDs, standards of which were determined in 1980. In order to have that thumping loud sound, which is what people seem to like today, master-ers have to limit the dynamic frequency, clipping the high and low frequencies while boosting the mids. Distortion on the low end is definitely a symptom of a record being 'hot' mastered.

A good example of a well-mastered record is RAY OF LIGHT, which sounds great in all frequencies with no distortion. Only thing is, it sounds much quieter (but more expansive and detailed). HARD CANDY is badly mastered, lots of distortion and far too loud (but comparable to today's standards).

Anyway, I'm not audio expert, but thought I'd add in anyway.

Lenny

Guest bluejean

A good example of a well-mastered record is RAY OF LIGHT, which sounds great in all frequencies with no distortion. Only thing is, it sounds much quieter (but more expansive and detailed). HARD CANDY is badly mastered, lots of distortion and far too loud (but comparable to today's standards).

I'm always hearing fans say Ray Of Light is badly mixed and/or mastered and needs remastering. I don't have a problem with it. I don't have an issue with Hard Candy either. I do notice the distortion with 'Voices' but it's never bothered me.

Madonna fans seem to know more than top audio engineers :lol:

I'm not sure if the distortion on any CD or music is the fault of bad mixing; mastering seems to be the issue. The music may have sounded great in the studio, well-mixed and engineered. But now the music has to be mastered to make CDs, standards of which were determined in 1980. In order to have that thumping loud sound, which is what people seem to like today, master-ers have to limit the dynamic frequency, clipping the high and low frequencies while boosting the mids. Distortion on the low end is definitely a symptom of a record being 'hot' mastered.

Anyway, I'm not audio expert, but thought I'd add in anyway.

Lenny

The Pharrell produced songs on HC sounds just fine, the real mess is with Timbaland.

I dig it. Don't know if I'll love it in the long run, but it has potential. And I'm fine with the distortion in the mixing, as I was with the distortion in "Voices."

Having said that, I also wouldn't mind an unofficial release of some version of "Hard Candy" with all the Timbaland/Pharrell bits stripped away with some proper production. These boys make her sound more gimmicky than Mirwais ever did.

like the beatles' "let it be... naked" album? that'd be kind of nifty, though i love the timbaland production over the pharell messes like incredible and spanish lesson... personally, i REALLY REALLY want to know if she really did record the song "bigger than the world" or if it was just presented to her by timberlake in the funny demo he sings ("i know i'm just a girl" makes me smile) and she never actually sang it.