First Official Adverts For Greatest Hits Album!

robster

Uh huh. Only her shitty little record label should be concering themselves with unit sales. Sadly I think gay fans (its mostly gays that do this) put some kind of relevance and importance on chart positioning. Like 'my pop star got five number ones!!! Yours didn't!!! Suck it guys!!!' Jeez get over it. Does anyone give a fuck!?

Yes I think you're right to some extent. Chart positions are something that don't always tell the whole story. But you can't deny that the BIG hits that the public will know and want tend to have the higher chart positions.

I think Warner want to shift units. Therefore the majority of the songs on this album will be that big chart hits. Maybe there will be some surprise choices but I don't think too many .

All I hope for is a collection that sells very well and puts her in a good position commercially to launch the first live nation album in a year or two.

I think it's weird that we are probably 2 months from the actual release of this 2CD and yet there is no official date yet. Even with Confessions we had confirmation a good 3 and half months before the street date. :confused:

Who actually confirmed it even was titled a greatest hits? As we don't really have that title and Madonna has NEVER liked it or used it HERSELF I'm assuming/hoping there will be more to it.

Everyone from her camp has been referring to it as a GREATEST HITS including her MANAGER and you do realize GHV2 stands for GREATEST HITS VERSION 2 right?

It's also not called 'Madonnas radio friendly unit shifters' either. Who actually confirmed it even was titled a greatest hits? As we don't really have that title and Madonna has NEVER liked it or used it HERSELF I'm assuming/hoping there will be more to it. Leaving Erotica off just because some people might not think it sold enough records is actually a fucking joke. I'll enjoy it no matter what most likely, because I love Madonnas music. To the person that said we shouldn't ignore the big hits...of course not!!! The hits are a crucial part of her career in so many ways. My suggestion is that it shouldn't be all about figures...it should be about the evolution of her music.

I'm sure erotica will be there!

It is a big hit and deserves to be on a HITS collection.

Guy o confirmed it's a hits collection .

You do have a point regards songs that must be there (eg erotica) but it would be wrong to leave off songs like who's that girl, true blue and dress you up in favour of nothing really matters, love provision, bad girl and drowned world.

I love those songs but would argue that if you are doing a greatest hits for the general public to sell in huge quantaties you have to put the commercial successes on.

I'm sure erotica will be there!

It is a big hit and deserves to be on a HITS collection.

Guy o confirmed it's a hits collection .

You do have a point regards songs that must be there (eg erotica) but it would be wrong to leave off songs like who's that girl, true blue and dress you up in favour of nothing really matters, love provision, bad girl and drowned world.

I love those songs but would argue that if you are doing a greatest hits for the general public to sell in huge quantaties you have to put the commercial successes on.

Challenge for all of us! Ask family and friends to name top 10 or 5 madonna songs . See what comes up .

Just asked my 6 year old son.

La isla bonita

Hung up (time goes by so slowly as he calls it)

Into the groove

4 minutes

Ray of light

My parents;

-Hung Up

-True Blue

-Take A Bow

-Like A Prayer

-Vogue

My Best male mate:

-Material Girl

-4 Minutes

-Like A Virgin

-Music

-Hung Up

Madonna didn't name GHV2. YOU DO REALISE THAT RIGHT?! People use the term Greatest hit quite often without actually realising what it means.

Yes I'm sure they just slipped it past her. Actually I remember her on Jo Whiley at the time talking ABOUT the title. Also, I like how we've moved past the MADONNA DOESNT LIKE THE TERM GREATEST HITS to the MADONNA DOESNT KNOW WHAT HER ALBUMS ARE CALLED AND DOESNT KNOW WHAT GREATEST HITS REALLY MEAN part now.

Madonna didn't name GHV2. YOU DO REALISE THAT RIGHT?! People use the term Greatest hit quite often without actually realising what it means.

From her interview with the BBC (Nov. 2001):

You've got of a lot of things going on at the moment, one of them is your best of GHV2, why that title?

M: Because it's to the point. We went through catchy titles, funny titles and witty titles and things like that, but at the end of the day I thought it was really modern and succinct and to the point.

Uhm, it sounds like she picked it alright. :confused:

Guest jordywind

i am just really happy to see some promo work going into it! unlike warner!! its gotta be a gd thing right ? x

You've got of a lot of things going on at the moment, one of them is your best of GHV2, why that title?

M: Because it's to the point. We went through catchy titles, funny titles and witty titles and things like that, but at the end of the day I thought it was really modern and succinct and to the point.

Thank you.

Guest Danny86
Charts arent the only thing in the world you know? I would say many of these so called flops are synonymous with Madonna and its all part of her legacy. Not everything on IC was a number one hit in every country in the world. I would much rather it be a disc that told the story of her career, her rise, her power, her art than a shitty little 'these are the songs that sold the most units' compilation.

"Erotica" is definitely part of her legacy, but my point was that it won't be used in a commercial to sell a product, because it wouldn't make it sell. Charts aren't the only thing indeed, but when putting together and selling a compilation album, it's quite an important thing. Using underperforming and flop singles is not good marketing, regardless if the majority of her hardcore fans love them.

The worst fucking title EVER - in fact she's been shit with titles for most of this decade - Music was the last one to have a :wow: factor to it.

Music was the last one to have a :wow: factor to it.

I agree. That title was cool as fuck and her best if you ask me. Totally unexpected from someone like Madonna, whos image is so strong.

Guest missy bi_tch

well madonna should really get to do a cool album she likes with no cares about commercial appeal...she can always tour to earn the biggies

Guest blueferris
Uh huh. Only her shitty little record label should be concering themselves with unit sales. Sadly I think gay fans (its mostly gays that do this) put some kind of relevance and importance on chart positioning. Like 'my pop star got five number ones!!! Yours didn't!!! Suck it guys!!!' Jeez get over it. Does anyone give a fuck!?

I do.

an advert w/ EROTICA would be nuts since it was a lowpoint in her career.

this thing is called CELEBRATION.

what does erotica celebrate . . . her being publicly lynched for 2 years?

if the next compilation is called BACKLASH, then they can use EROTICA or AMERICAN LIFE in promos.

keep the crap that bombed but supposedly showed her "evolution" :rolleyes:

for this i want madonna HITS HITS & more HITS! :thumbsup:

Guest Danny86
what does erotica celebrate . . . her being publicly lynched for 2 years?

if the next compilation is called BACKLASH, then they can use EROTICA or AMERICAN LIFE in promos.

keep the crap that bombed but supposedly showed her "evolution" :rolleyes:

for this i want madonna HITS HITS & more HITS! :thumbsup:

:rotfl:

But Erotica was soooooooooo ahead of its time that nobody except the real fans could appreciate it!!! It was the peak of her career and she's been too commercial ever since. She has to plug both Erotica & AL on the GH because only they show what an ARTISTE she is so it's her way of showing the world that she's above every other female artist and does not care about hits or success! :electropop:

Guest ursaminorjim

We'll just have to wait and see, I guess. But given that in the years since the releases of both Erotica and American Life she's tended to handle most of the songs like soiled diapers - at arm's length, in rubber gloves, and with a pair of tongs - I think it's probably safe to assume that there won't be teasers featuring images or music from either album.

We'll just have to wait and see, I guess. But given that in the years since the releases of both Erotica and American Life she's tended to handle most of the songs like soiled diapers - at arm's length, in rubber gloves, and with a pair of tongs - I think it's probably safe to assume that there won't be teasers featuring images or music from either album.

Erotica, Deeper and Deeper and Rain have all featured on recent tours - I think she is very proud of both bodies of work. Just because the reception wasn't great, does not mean to say that she doesn't like them.

I didn't think I would ever see the day when she would sing Material Girl again but she did. If she can pull that one out of the bag, I think anything else from her back catalogue could spring up (except American Pie which would be pushing it :dramatic: ).

Guest ursaminorjim
The worst fucking title EVER - in fact she's been shit with titles for most of this decade - Music was the last one to have a :wow: factor to it.

I disagree. Going purely on album titles, Confessions On a Dance Floor and Hard Candy are roughly a gazillion times better titles - more evocative, better suited to their albums - than the crushingly pedestrian non-statement that was Music. :lol:

Guest Danny86
Erotica, Deeper and Deeper and Rain have all featured on recent tours - I think she is very proud of both bodies of work. Just because the reception wasn't great, does not mean to say that she doesn't like them.

"Erotica" had most of its lyrics removed, "Deeper And Deeper" had a new melody, both of them are almost brand new songs in those incarnations. Coincidentally both of the originals were on GHV2, it's not like she ever dug "Bad Girl" out or something.

"Rain" was only half of the chorus in an interlude video. Also, from all of her studio albums, it's only Erotica & AL that didn't have any live performances on the current tour.

I disagree. Going purely on album titles, Confessions On a Dance Floor and Hard Candy are roughly a gazillion times better titles - more evocative, better suited to their albums - than the crushingly pedestrian non-statement that was Music. :lol:

WRONG on ALL counts.

Guest ursaminorjim
WRONG on ALL counts.

Hey, hon. No need to be so hard on yourself! You're not" "WRONG on ALL counts" at all, just this one.

And Kylie.

Chin up, li'l buckaroo.

"Erotica" had most of its lyrics removed, "Deeper And Deeper" had a new melody, both of them are almost brand new songs in those incarnations. Coincidentally both of the originals were on GHV2, it's not like she ever dug "Bad Girl" out or something.

"Rain" was only half of the chorus in an interlude video. Also, from all of her studio albums, it's only Erotica & AL that didn't have any live performances on the current tour.

They were still used in one form or another though. I just don't believe she has a problem with either of these albums. Yeah, they are not used on S&S tour but she's dropped Hung Up now and there is no COADF either but I don't think she has ditched that album either. It's just she has such a large back catalogue to choose from. She can't represent every album, every time.

I will be pleased when the bloody tracklist is released and then people can get on whinging about that instead beating the shit out of anyone who makes a suggestion one way or another.

Speaking of the CRUSHINGLY PEDESTRIAN....

My surgeon takes care of that. :queenbitch:

I hope it's not the same one as Kylie's - judging by your avatar, the "House of Wax" look is all the rage. :scared: