CELEBRATION

I say thay should suppress TIC /GHV2 ONLY digitally at least for now

a couple of things about TRUE BLUE .. the make my video contest was only in the US ...IN THE REST of we all got the "car video" it was cute and simple , also TB was a bigger hit than LIB that song has grown in stature due to time and inclusion on many tours . At the time of TB release it was another HUGE single by Madonna .. no one expected OYH to come an overshadow it.

23 yrs later EVERYONE remembers PDP and OYH but at the time critcs praised the 60s retro pop feel of TB. I hard to believe now that madge had so many big singles back to back that they were stepping on each other ; I think in the hits collection they should acknowledge that and put the hits that some may have "forgot" .

At the time of TB release it was another HUGE single by Madonna .. no one expected OYH to come an overshadow it.

OYH was intended as the third single, she made the video for it in August 1986 but radio stations all over the world were playing TB as an album track so they went with that as single number 3 instead, hence the video being a rush job. There was a rumour at the time that she'd planned to film one in Switzerland, with the Swiss navy but decided against it after some nuclear disaster in Russia was polluting the air.

I say thay should suppress TIC /GHV2 ONLY digitally at least for now

a couple of things about TRUE BLUE .. the make my video contest was only in the US ...IN THE REST of we all got the "car video" it was cute and simple , also TB was a bigger hit than LIB that song has grown in stature due to time and inclusion on many tours . At the time of TB release it was another HUGE single by Madonna .. no one expected OYH to come an overshadow it.

23 yrs later EVERYONE remembers PDP and OYH but at the time critcs praised the 60s retro pop feel of TB. I hard to believe now that madge had so many big singles back to back that they were stepping on each other ; I think in the hits collection they should acknowledge that and put the hits that some may have "forgot" .

In the UK, Open Your Heart has not overshadowed TB. From reading posts here, clearly OYH was a huge hit in the US but in the UK I don't think it is nearly as loved. The video is remembered for it's basque but TB and LIB are equally remembered and from a song perspective, probably more popular. They were both No.1s here too whereas OYH only made it to No.4.

If she only put LTT, TB and LIB on, I don't think there were be too much argument over here for dropping the others.

no one will ever forget TRUE BLUE (single), it's the namesake of her biggest international album ever... TRUE BLUE deserves to have a room in any MADONNA GH... Stop thrashing the TB video... The song actually fits the video... Classy Bubble Gum Retro-Pop

In the UK, Open Your Heart has not overshadowed TB. From reading posts here, clearly OYH was a huge hit in the US but in the UK I don't think it is nearly as loved. The video is remembered for it's basque but TB and LIB are equally remembered and from a song perspective, probably more popular. They were both No.1s here too whereas OYH only made it to No.4.

It made it to number 4 in December, when there were loads of novelty records in the chart and it pushed True Blue ahead of Brothers In Arms to be the biggest selling album on 1986, so to say it wasn't loved is wrong.

It made it to number 4 in December, when there were loads of novelty records in the chart and it pushed True Blue ahead of Brothers In Arms to be the biggest selling album on 1986, so to say it wasn't loved is wrong.

Not wrong at all. I mean it isn't loved in the UK in the way other songs by her are loved. The guys from the US here seem to have such a fondness for OYH that just doesn't seem so apparent on this side of the pond. As for pushing ahead of Brothers in Arms, that album was released in May '85 so after 18 months of release, I would expect TB to push ahead.

Not wrong at all. I mean it isn't loved in the UK in the way other songs by her are loved. The guys from the US here seem to have such a fondness for OYH that just doesn't seem so apparent on this side of the pond. As for pushing ahead of Brothers in Arms, that album was released in May '85 so after 18 months of release, I would expect TB to push ahead.

Brothers In Arms was PHENOMENALLY SUCCESSFUL album in 85 and 86; True Blue only managed to edge ahead of it, and a Phil Collins album, during December.

Guest thehiltonsuite

I honestly don't think the album will be in chron. order, because if it is the first disc will be identical to The Immaculate Collection. She has to change it up some way. Do something different. It doesn't matter to me if she changes the songs......the edits and remixes on TIC never bothered me.........because if I want to hear the originals it's not like I don't have multiple copies of them!

Edited by thehiltonsuite

Guest Hmm...

Hi

I personally believe that ALL True Blue singles should be included in this collection...

If there is any album in her career which spawned consistent massive worldwide hits with all single releases then it is True Blue...

I would love to be a fly on the wall throughout the tracklisting dicussions...

I just wish/hope they are using a traditional 'method' to compile the tracklisting of a greastest hits. That way it shouldn't really matter if they include 'only' 1 track from BS but 4 tracks from LAP, nothing from AL but 5 tracks from TB...

A hit is a hit regardless of what era/album it comes from and therefore thats what should be represented on this album and if that means bypassing some of her work e.g. AL in favour of bigger/older hits then so be it...

Can't wait for the official tracklist to be revealed no doubt there will be some odd inclusions e.g. YMLM over DCFMA!

Anyway hope i'm making sense!

Kev

Hi

I personally believe that ALL True Blue singles should be included in this collection...

If there is any album in her career which spawned consistent massive worldwide hits with all single releases then it is True Blue...

I just wish/hope they are using a traditional 'method' to compile the tracklisting of a greastest hits. That way it shouldn't really matter if they include 'only' 1 track from BS but 4 tracks from LAP, nothing from AL but 5 tracks from TB...

A hit is a hit regardless of what era/album it comes from and therefore thats what should be represented on this album and if that means bypassing some of her work e.g. AL in favour of bigger/older hits then so be it...

Can't wait for the official tracklist to be revealed no doubt there will be some odd inclusions e.g. YMLM over DCFMA!

Yes total sense here.

I think every album has spawned at least one worldwide hit so all should be represented.

If it is a greatest HITS then they should be just that regardless of where they came from. You can not deny that like a Virgin and True blue were her PEAK years and should have the major hits on the collection. Hard Candy, Erotica, Bedtime Stories and American Life - whilst all great albums - did not give the number of hits LAV, TB an LAP did.

Ray of Light and Music deserve decent representation and The First Album too.

I'm Breathless - Vogue and Who's That Girl - title track at least (hopefully CAC too)

As for soundtrack songs - I'll Remember did big business at a time when Madonna was written off so needs to be there. One from Evita please too (maybe YMLM) but I'll forgive her leaving off American Pie. Beautiful Stranger is a must.

I think if we (the fans) think logically the big hits are obvious. They are the songs this collection needs. It is a GREATEST HITS remember. If they get it right - watch it fly off the shelves!

Kev

Guest bedtimestorynyc

what the fuck is the big deal with this True Blue shit????

it wasn't included on TIC... wasn't a big deal then, why is it a big deal now?

Hi

Kev

I assume you are looking at it from a US chart perspective. If you follow the British charts, one of her largest markets, every single she has had has gone top 40 since Like A Virgin. Every single from LAV except MA has gone Top 20 and a majority have gone top 10 - around 60 singles. It just won't happen that every single will be included. A two disc set is the most we could expect.

Well it was a big deal, that's why it was released on the Holiday Collection along with the Who's That Girl material.

That's right, Gimme- preach on. ;)

Really, though- TIC era was a definer of its era. How much of it appears on the new compilation, we'll have to see- but, if most of those 15 classics are represented, it won't be far off, and it (hopefully) will have the essential 1992-on material to suppot it.

I have to agree. TB is corny and shit and in no way a DEFINING Madonna track like OYH, PDP, LTT and LIB. I would def NOT want to have any of those omitted to include that cheesefest. It only did so well on the charts because Madonna was on fire at the time.

I'm not fussed one way or the other if 'True Blue' is on - but I will say that when I go out in London, I hear 'True Blue' a LOT more than I hear any of the other TB singles (aside, of course, from 'Papa Don't Preach').

Guest bluejean
I have to agree. TB is corny and shit and in no way a DEFINING Madonna track like OYH, PDP, LTT and LIB. I would def NOT want to have any of those omitted to include that cheesefest. It only did so well on the charts because Madonna was on fire at the time.

That's true. But I think the concern is that it will be omitted for songs that weren't hits at all. You only have to look at GHV2 to understand the fan hysteria. Fans are afraid of getting a shit collection like that.

Guest Danny86
The Immaculate Collection dvd is out of print on amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Madonna-Immaculate-C...5344&sr=1-1

and it's out out stock at the moment on amazon.co.uk too

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Madonna-Immaculate...5402&sr=8-4

Yeah, seems they still have copies left of the CD and when that runs out, it's all over... Not sure what's the deal with US iTunes though, both GHs are still there. I know it's the US where she still sells the most catalog albums, but does it mean Warner already gave up with a hit album in the US and they don't want to risk with removing TIC only to have a flop new GH?

Guest Danny86

Anna:

the photo session next month will obviously be promoting the compilation but never said its part of the cd package. it will actually be a spread on world renowned magazine.