A little sidebar discussion regarding the forthcoming compilation.

Mattress

Guest gloriesbarcelona

It DEFINITLY has to be included!! Like it or not, the song is a classic!!!

It (and the album) would have done SO much better if it hadn't been boycotted in the US, or made it to MTV with the original video.

I still think the album is her best after ROL...

Guest Danny86
Then it would basically be a four disc box set featuring every single she's ever released, lol. Most of her singles have been released in the UK, and have almost all made the top 10. I'm pretty sure just Lucky Star, Take A Bow, Oh Father, One More Chance, Love Profusion and Miles Away missed. The first three were US hits.

That's correct, almost all of her singles fall into that category. These are the only singles that don't, but also counted are those that never got released in US or UK:

Everybody

Burning Up

Spotlight

Oh Father

Bye Bye Baby

Love Don't Live Here Anymore

One More Chance

Nothing Fails

Love Profusion

Miles Away

That's correct, almost all of her singles fall into that category. These are the only singles that don't, but also counted are those that never got released in US or UK:

Everybody

Burning Up

Spotlight

Oh Father

Bye Bye Baby

Love Don't Live Here Anymore

One More Chance

Nothing Fails

Love Profusion

Miles Away

:lol: I was sorting out the same list, except "Physical Attraction" should also be included.

The 12" single release was "Burning Up/Physical Attraction" (Fast Side and Slow Side) and a double-sided "Physical Attraction"-only 7" was issued right after the 12"'s release to promote that particular side. It was also mentioned among her "hits" in official Sire adverts and write-up's as late as 1985.

I like American Life, I think it’s the rap which killed it for most people.

I doubt having the song on the album will influence anyone to buy it, so maybe its best left off. Although if I had it my way, I’d put it on because it’s unique to anything she’s done before.

Guest Danny86
:lol: I was sorting out the same list, except "Physical Attraction" should also be included.

The 12" single release was "Burning Up/Physical Attraction" (Fast Side and Slow Side) and a double-sided "Physical Attraction"-only 7" was issued right after the 12"'s release to promote that particular side. It was also mentioned among her "hits" in official Sire adverts and write-up's as late as 1985.

Somehow I never felt that "Physical Attraction" was a "real" single. :confused: I know it was listed on the cover as a double A-side, but it's "Burning Up" that charted on Hot Dance and got a video. It was also ignored on VT. It's kinda like how some countries got a double A-side of "Nothing Fails" / "Love Profusion", just that it was a big mess, on radio it was "Nothing Fails" but on tv it was "Love Profusion". :thumbsdown:

Somehow I never felt that "Physical Attraction" was a "real" single. :confused: I know it was listed on the cover as a double A-side, but it's "Burning Up" that charted on Hot Dance and got a video. It was also ignored on VT. It's kinda like how some countries got a double A-side of "Nothing Fails" / "Love Profusion", just that it was a big mess, on radio it was "Nothing Fails" but on tv it was "Love Profusion". :thumbsdown:

Ah, GREASE and her wonderful cross-promotion ideas.

Guest bluejean

It depends if there's room.

But generally speaking, no it does belong on a career spanning Greatest Hits. It has a reputation for being her biggest flop.

There are many other hits that were omitted from TIC and GHV2 that deserve coverage over AL.

I also think 'American Pie' as cheesy as it is deserves a place for being a UK number one. Same as 'True Blue' and 'Who's That Girl.'

'Me Against The Music' should be written out as a Britney song. I don't hate it but I'm sure the majority of fans (even the ones that like Britney) would happily forget that one.

Funnily enough I was BLASTING the album for the first time in ages over the weekend and thinking how great it still sounds - just another half arsed affair as was HC. It we're looking at a three disc 80s/90s/00s compilation then it has to be included. However, if it's a two disc set then no - Die Another Day and Hollywood from that era.

What I don't think should be included is stuff from Evita - I love the whole project/era but it's not part of her pop canon.

Guest bluejean

I can't really even see Hollywood fitting if there's 2 or 3 new songs.

I can't really see the track listing really working for any of us, no matter what there will be essential hits missing. In a way, that's a GOOD thing. I just hope they don't include filler flops like American Life over actual hits.

Guest Danny86
I also think 'American Pie' as cheesy as it is deserves a place for being a UK number one. Same as 'True Blue' and 'Who's That Girl.'

I think "True Blue" will be the most obvious case when Madonna screws the GH concept and ignores the song. It's one of her biggest hits in the UK, sold as much as "Hung Up", but it's practically impossible that Madonna allows this song to be used. It's not a fan favorite like "DYU" or "WTG" either, so Guy can't even use the Twitter argument. Same for "Angel" & "Cherish", Madonna seem to be disliking these songs, and is writing them out of her history.

QB, "You Must Love Me" HAS to be included because of its acclaimed rendition on tour!!! :thumbsup:

I think they need to look at her US top 10's, UK #1's and then cull from that list what will fit on two discs with however many new songs they have planned.

That would mean no "Holiday"....would a Madonna GH package be complete without that track...?! Do we really need "Hanky Panky" and "Rescue Me" under consideration instead of something like "You Must Love Me" (a Gold single, even though it didn't make it anywhere near the Top 10 in the US) or "The Power of Goodbye"?

Guest bluejean
That would mean no "Holiday"....would a Madonna GH package be complete without that track...?! Do we really need "Hanky Panky" and "Rescue Me" under consideration instead of something like "You Must Love Me" (a Gold single, even though it didn't make it anywhere near the Top 10 in the US) or "The Power of Goodbye"?

Imo, the only song you list that is likely to be included is 'Holiday.' 'You Must Love Me' might get a look in, but I doubt that. 36 or so songs including 2 or 3 new songs is not going to leave room for any minor hit. Try writing a list of them all and you'll see what I mean.

Imo, the only song you list that is likely to be included is 'Holiday.' 'You Must Love Me' might get a look in, but I doubt that. 36 or so songs including 2 or 3 new songs is not going to leave room for any minor hit. Try writing a list of them all and you'll see what I mean.

I've already done my list - I did it back in January before we knew about the new tracks and then had to delete two to make room for them. Holiday's on there, along with AL and AP :thumbsup:

Guest bluejean

Cool, well post it. I'd be interested to see what bigger hits you've had to leave off to fit Hanky Panky and The Power Of Goodbye.

Cool, well post it. I'd be interested to see what bigger hits you've had to leave off to fit Hanky Panky and The Power Of Goodbye.

No no - you've misunderstood my original post! Mattress had suggested including all of the US Top 10s + the UK #1s as the base list, then cutting some of these tracks to make room for the new ones that she's recorded. I pointed out that this formula would omit "Holiday" and asked whether we really wanted tracks like "Hanky Panky" and "Rescue Me" under consideration (as US Top 10 singles) at the expense of "Holiday" (a non US Top 10/UK #1, so ineligible) and other more significant singles like "The Power of Goodbye" (#11 in the US).

Neither of the two tracks you've mentioned made my list (which I'll post later).

I'd mentioned earlier that "Holiday" and "Into The Groove" are essential though they didn't make the top 10 (ITG was a UK #1.) They's signature songs.

That post should have read as "In addition to the signature songs and new recordings, they should look to the US top 10's and UK #1's to round out the track listing." :lol:

There'd be no loss in leaving AL off the tracklist. Unless it was the epic studio version of the RIT performance- otherwise, leave that album version OFF.

The director's cut of the video (or the other with similar footage), on the other hand, is a must for a Madonna video compilation.

It's hard to say. If they are making a GH with 'HITS' only, than NO. It should only have DAD and Hollywood (TWD Mix)

HOWEVER. I think American Life SHOULD be included if this is a career spanning look at Madonna's catalogue. American Life made a statement and got a lot of attention, whether it was a hit or not. I'm just sad that Love Profusion won't be on it =( I love that song...

ITG would never be left off a career-spanning compilation; aside from its #1 UK status, it was a bonafide smash hit in the USA- we don't need a Hot 100 appearance to verify that- we have all those other non-Billboard U.S. chart appearances/certifications to verify that- plus its recurrent airplay. "Holiday" also would not be omitted.

That's why a 2002-0209 compilation would be such a dud- it's lacking on bonafide U.S. hits. Abnd even though some did OK internationally, they still weren't big, big hits like past era.

YMLM is nice, is an Oscar-winning song, and Madonna did perform it on her most recent tour- if for any reason, the latter could boost it onto the compilation. But it's not as essential as others.

Even with a 2 CD release you have to leave many single off. I put a track list together and there is simply no room for stuff like AL or anything from this album except DAD. I would NOT include YMLM or DCFMA either.

Didn't we have a topic where everyone could post their track list for the GH? I can't find it.

Even with a 2 CD release you have to leave many single off. I put a track list together and there is simply no room for stuff like AL or anything from this album except DAD. I would NOT include YMLM or DCFMA either.

Didn't we have a topic where everyone could post their track list for the GH? I can't find it.

Here it is.