A little sidebar discussion regarding the forthcoming compilation.

Mattress

No, it's shit. No AL tracks preferably.

It pains me that the hideous autotuneless robotic nightmare that is Die Another Day will be on there. :voodoo: There was much hate for that song too, especially since it was a Bond theme.

I don't hate it..but i wouldn't mind it not being there..

I'd rather have Hollywood..a remix will always just b remix. So, sorry..the Stuart thing might b good..

but better than the electro pop cutlery ruffle that is the album version? HELL NO :americanlife:

as 4 AL..sadly there's a great song in there..the chorus is classic Madonna & the RIT version intro

alone would have been a massive improvement.

IT'S A MUST!!!

For the same reason why Bedtime Story should be included too. Because they are important to her history and catalog.

Guest Danny86

^I guess it's just that for most people, it doesn't give the listening enjoyment the vast majority of her catalog does. I'd think people rank that in the first place when judging a song, instead of Madonna's thoughts and emotions.

I'd also argue that the lyrics are very simplistic and juvenile, hardly something that I'd label as "complicated Madonna". Not related to your post, but I noticed that for some people who dismiss COADF and HC, all of a sudden AL the album became some lyrical brilliance, while it's really not.

Perhaps my memory is faulty, but "American Life" charted in the Top 40 in the U.S. (So doesn't that actually put it in a different class than "Bedtime Story" and "Human Nature"? I don't have anything against those tracks -- they're important to Madonna's artistic oeuvre -- but if it's a greatest HITS, then -- unfortunately for some -- "American Life" is fair game.) Maybe it was just that it was a new Madonna single, but... "Die Another Day" was a Top 10 hit, so if you only choose one from the AL album, then you have to go with "Die Another Day," I should think.

I can remember the first time I heard the full thing -- on the radio -- and after it was over, while the outro was still playing, the DJ just said, "She gets weirder and weirder." I remembered feeling a little sad about that. I could just hear her radio popularity plummeting. Maybe it was what she needed to do at the time, but in retrospect, if she was going to pull her political punches (because of her family's safety), then why not go the "Hollywood" or "Nodbody Knows Me" route? And yes, having the boring flag video as the main promo piece for the first single was a serious hindrance.

As suggested by others, Stuart's "Hollywood" mix might actually smoothe the transition from the AL era to the COADF era. His sound in the remix would segue to his heavy bass in "Hung Up."

In any case, it would have to be an edit of "American Life," if it is included. There's no way that they'll leave the "Fuck it" x 4 in and get slapped with an explicit content sticker for something they want to have broad appeal.

^ I get that... That's why I said I understand why she pulled it -- because of her FAMILY'S SAFETY. I never accused her of just being scared to have an opinion.

My point was that it made little sense to go half-way with it. Because she even went half-way, she was cast in a poor light and suffered the backlash anyway... She could have stuck with the album being called "Hollywood" and gone with that instead. (Having the copyright-infringing "Hollywood" video would probably have been a better promo opening salvo than the boring flag video that ended up being the official visual interpretation of "American Life" at the time.)

But that's not where I was trying to go anyway... the 'she shouldn't have pulled it' vs. 'she had every right to pull it and she was right to do so' battle has been endlessly debated and that's not where this discussion needs to go. What's done is done -- my point was that the song was actually a technical Top 40 hit in the U.S. (if my memory isn't faulty) -- and she has precious few of those since GHV2.

Am I the only person who loves the album version of Hollywood? The Stuart remix is great, but it's just that....a remix.

I also think AL should be included, whether it's called a hits, anthology package. It was an important milestone in her career, because of the controversy.

Guest Eternal Flame

I'd say yes.

It obviously isn't one of her bigger hits but it's certainly one of her more prevalent singles of her past few albums for the ruckus it caused and the notoriety, good or bad.

As for the actual song, it's okay. Certainly one of her worst lead singles but amongst the 00s singles it's one of the better known ones, one way or another.

Guest Eternal Flame
Yeah why is American music taste so bad these days? Before anyone says it I despise the British charts.

I think you can blame radio and the ever popular 'teen' or 'hip hop' market. They've gotten better and are playing some more decent pop stuff as of late but radio will eat up basically anything that has a prominent hook, whether it's extremely irritating or pleasurable... how else can one explain the success of "Boom Boom Pow"

I say no.

Madonna has a lot of singles that weren't huge hits but are great songs and I'd like to see one of them snuck in here so it gets something of a new life/ 2nd chance that way, but I don't think American Life is that song. Maybe Oh Father. Or Bad Girl. Let Die Another Day represent the AL album and skip the rest.

Have people forgotten that it peaked at #2 in the UK and was actually headed for #1 before being outsold on the last day of the chart week?

Have people forgotten that it peaked at #2 in the UK and was actually headed for #1 before being outsold on the last day of the chart week?

exactly

it did pretty well outside the us

it went to #1 in japan and canada

If we are going by Madonna's own standards as to what qualifies as a "hit" then she'll likely have it there, much like she included "Drowned World" on GHV2 even though it was only an international release. At the end of the day she pretty much only wants the stuff there that represents her at her most important, and something tells me she still holds "American Life" in that regard?

Should it be included? Fuck no. It completely derailed her track record for first single releases by being, easily, the most devisive and polarizing endeavor she ever released. Couple that with the fact that the casual public probably falls asleep before even getting halfway into the album version, and you have the recipe for instant disqualification.

Tack on "Die Another Day" and "Hollywood" and be done with the era, simple as that.

Guest boytoyville

Yes, a key song in her career. Just because it was a commerical dissapointment by madonna standards as a lead single doesn't mean it isn't worthy of her being included in her compilation or future anthology.

Guest Danny86

That really means nothing though. By far and away it's her worst-performing lead-off single in the UK, it's among the 8 bottom selling singles of her career, and it only lasted one week in the top 10. "Hollywood" also went to #2 but it even sold less, most of the time the peaks don't tell the story.

From an UK point of view, on a Madonna greatest hits compilation, nothing from Bedtime Stories or American Life should be included, because Madonna has at least 40 bigger hits than any of their singles. Even "Die Another Day" just cracks in the top 40 of that list.

If we are going by Madonna's own standards as to what qualifies as a "hit" then she'll likely have it there, much like she included "Drowned World" on GHV2 even though it was only an international release. At the end of the day she pretty much only wants the stuff there that represents her at her most important, and something tells me she still holds "American Life" in that regard?

I said that already, Madonna will be choosing her own favorite singles, so most of the speculation about her real hits won't even matter (contradicting my post just above). But it's easy to see that "Drowned World" was on GHV2 because it was the opening song of DWT, and the DVD of that show was released on the same day as the CD. That's why I'm afraid including "Human Nature" would be inevitable, since it's prominent on S&ST...

I guess she will include "AL" because it was quite the centerpiece of the RIT and the documentary, which was long after the video controversy. I wouldn't mind if the live version, or its studio version was the one included, I think that's more interesting than the album version.

Not a fan of the song at all, but it did peak in the top 40. According to Billboard, that's technically a hit. Begrudgingly, I would vote to include it...if only to give GH some kind of American Life album representation (no, "Die Another Day" doesn't count.) Sure, the album may be garbage, but it's in her discography and represents a significant point in her career, even if it was a low one.

Guest Danny86

^A song cracking the Top 40 can be considered a hit, but in the case of Madonna, she has 38 singles that went to the Top 10 and that's more than enough for 2 CDs. :D

^A song cracking the Top 40 can be considered a hit, but in the case of Madonna, she has 38 singles that went to the Top 10 and that's more than enough for 2 CDs. :D

I was set to say this very thing.

In the US she has 38 top 10's, and none of those are "Holiday" or "Into The Groove".

Guest Danny86

^On Billboard it went to #16.

You must be thinking of the UK, where it went to #2 in 1985 and #5 in 1991, after its initial #6 peak in 1984. Because of all those re-issues, it's her 3rd biggest selling UK hit, only "ITG" & "LAV" sold more.

Madonna's US Top 10 Singles:

Borderline (#10)

Lucky Star (#4)

Like A Virgin (#1)

Material Girl (#2)

Crazy For You (#1)

Angel (#5)

Dress You Up (#5)

Live To Tell (#1)

Papa Don't Preach (#1)

True Blue (#3)

Open Your Heart (#1)

La Isla Bonita (#4)

Who's That Girl (#1)

Causing A Commotion (#2)

Like A Prayer (#1)

Express Yourself (#2)

Cherish (#2)

Keep It Together (#8)

Vogue (#1)

Hanky Panky (#10)

Justify My Love (#1)

Rescue Me (#9)

This Used To Be My Playground (#1)

Erotica (#3)

Deeper And Deeper (#7)

I'll Remember (#2)

Secret (#3)

Take A Bow (#1)

You'll See (#6)

Don't Cry For Me Argentina (#8)

Frozen (#2)

Ray Of Light (#5)

Music (#1)

Don't Tell Me (#4)

Die Another Day (#8)

Hung Up (#7)

4 Minutes (#3)

^On Billboard it went to #16.

You must be thinking of the UK, where it went to #2 in 1985 and #5 in 1991, after its initial #6 peak in 1984. Because of all those re-issues, it's her 3rd biggest selling UK hit, only "ITG" & "LAV" sold more.

oh alright

i thought it got a rerelease in the US as well

thanks for the info!

:thumbsup:

Into The Groove was ineligible to chart, but a massive "hit" all the same.

Songs that fell between positions 10 and 20:

Holiday (#16)

Oh Father (#20)

Rain (#14)

You Must Love Me (#18)

The Power Of Good-Bye (#11)

Beautiful Stranger (#19) - this would have charted much higher (top ten) had there been a commercial single. It made it to #19 on the strength of airplay alone.

Guest Danny86

I miscalculated, it's 37 top 10 hits.

She has 5 singles that went between 21 and 40 ("Bad Girl", "American Pie, "WIFLFAG", "American Life" & "Me Against The Music") I don't think they count as hits for her own standards.

wouldn't it be better if they base the tracklisting on top 10's from both the US and UK?

Then it would basically be a four disc box set featuring every single she's ever released, lol. Most of her singles have been released in the UK, and have almost all made the top 10. I'm pretty sure just Lucky Star, Take A Bow, Oh Father, One More Chance, Love Profusion and Miles Away missed. The first three were US hits.

I think they need to look at her US top 10's, UK #1's and then cull from that list what will fit on two discs with however many new songs they have planned.