A little sidebar discussion regarding the forthcoming compilation.

Mattress

It should be included and not ignored. If she truly has no regerts than this whole topic is a non-issue. Fuck all you hate the AL - album, song, project, era, and RIT.

That tracklist you compiled with disc 1 all of her US 80s top 5s and disc 2 that left 7 minutes at the end. I wish it WOULD be your tracklisting but I just know I'll be let down. :thumbsdown:

Color me optimistic. I just hope that they have someone looking into the available masters and aren't slapping this together based on what was previously compiled.

As for "American Life," I really feel like it's a song best saved for a more comprehensive boxed set release. She has far too many real hits to choose from and as it is many of those are going to have to be sacrificed.

I love the Peter Rauhofer mix of American Life - the booming fog horn throughout - an edit of that would do. The Dirty Vegas mix of DAD would also do - I do think the album should be represented.

Also, the Miami Mix of DCFMA would be good. Evita really was the start of Madonna coming out of a critical backlash and the mix is fun and upbeat. YMLM is a dirge and although good live would just kill a compilation's flow.

AL is a shoo-in? It also was the first time since her debut album that a lead/kickoff single from a Madonna album fell short of the top 20 (using top 20, as YMLM peaked at 18- otherwise, they're the only two lead singles to miss the top 10). And, it was only in the top 40 for a single week. It is not one of her revered, classic tracks by any stretch of the imagination. Since there was such a gap between DADay and the album release, DADay would not be viewed as the lead single from the album, even though it always was meant to be included.

If AL should be represented, it definitely should be with DADay.