Guest seancannon

The best aspects to this album....

Nobody Knows Me (live version)

Love Profusion (happy song)

and the middle finger up to George W.

Guest Johnkm
Nobody Knows Me (live version)

:dramatic:

I NEVER got the love for the live version, its awful, it takes away what I loved about the song, which is a pity

Guest seancannon
:dramatic:

I NEVER got the love for the live version, its awful, it takes away what I loved about the song, which is a pity

You're kidding?!!!

Guest immaculate sanctuary
Actually, the most unappreciated album of hers is Bedtime Stories.

i totally agree! i absolutley adore that album!

as for american life (which i just so happened to be listening to when i saw this thread...weird...) i love it! i especially love the title song, love profusion, hollywood, mother & father...i really enjoy the whole album. i don't understand why it's hated on so much. :wacko: there isn't 1 album by madonna that i don't love tho.

Guest D'Deridex

The album is mediocre but it did force her to make Confessions on a Dance Floor, so I'm thankful on some level.

I liken American Life to the sound of a jackhammer running while a cat is having its tail pulled. From start to finish the album is just gaudy. Electronica mixed with folk has to be the tackiest meshing of sounds I've ever heard. It's the sonic equivalent to wearing a green shirt with red pants. Madonna seemed like she was deliberately going for another eclectic/deep type of album, ala Like a Prayer and Ray of Light, then attempted to wing it when she discovered that she wasn't inspired. "Material Girl" did a better job of conveying the message that the whole AL album wanted to, but couldn't.

I suppose the album has this underdog appeal that gives it enigma points to those who get off on extreme atypical, but I just see it as noise.

I liken American Life to the sound of a jackhammer running while a cat is having its tail pulled. From start to finish the album is just gaudy. Electronica mixed with folk has to be the tackiest meshing of sounds I've ever heard. It's the sonic equivalent to wearing a green shirt with red pants. Madonna seemed like she was deliberately going for another eclectic/deep type of album, ala Like a Prayer and Ray of Light, then attempted to wing it when she discovered that she wasn't inspired. "Material Girl" did a better job of conveying the message that the whole AL album wanted to, but couldn't.

I suppose the album has this underdog appeal that gives it enigma points to those who get off on extreme atypical, but I just see it as noise.

:rotfl:

Guest ursaminorjim

Ouch.

Hey, guys - I'm no fan of this album myself, but as it's an "appreciation" thread, we should just not respond and be done with it.

Noise? What r u..a Donny Osmond fan?

Noise? What r u..a Donny Osmond fan?

So because I called what is (IMO) a cluttered mix of random, discombobulated sounds "noise," I'm condescended as being a Donny Osmond fan. Sure.

BTW, I do like his song "Sacred Emotion." Like it better than anything on American Life, actually. :doh:

This album is far from weak it has some of her best work since Ray Of Light. Love Profusion is perfect in every sense and gets under your skin ;) Hollywood, Intervention, Nobody's Knows Me, Xstatic Process, DAD, Easy Ride, Mother and Father are all great. I've gone from hating American Life(the song) to loving it sans rap.

I'm so stupid & Nothing fails are the only songs i skip but im coming around to Nothing fails.

Love this album.

Love Profusion & Xstatic Process are 2 of my favorite songs of all time of any artist.

Guest Johnkm
:dramatic: I dont get all this love for Love Profusion, its dreary and boring, it really lets the album down. Now Im not the biggest fan of Nothing Fails/Intervention/X-Static Process but their all good songs. Love Profusion is the only dud song on, what is, one of her best albums, at least for me anyway.

I love it too. I listened to the whole thing again last night on a road trip and was loving it more than ever....EVERY SONG!!!

Its wrong to see AL as underrated it's simply unloved. I refuse to waste engery attempting to get other fans to hear and feel what I feel about the overall sound and content on the album. Fuck em! This is a Madonna treat for her ego and I love every second of it. If I could change one thing I'd delete DAD.

After Erotica comes AL and after that comes HC.

I like this album. I had downloaded a "Special Edition" of this, which was edited by a fan. He/she removed Die Another Day and rearranged the order of the tracklisting. I think his/her edits improved the songs.

I like the original version as well. My Top 3 picks are American Life (I love the song including the rap - I think it's hilarious), Mother and Father (one of the album's gems), and Die Another Day. I think this album is like a cross between a dance record and a ballad/acoustic album.

It stands out from her catalog because it has that "I'm-distant-but-I-am-being-personal" sound to it, which I think is what I love the most about this album. I prefer this one than COADF though.

• 3 weeks later...

Although I don't think 'American Life' is one of her best, I still consider it a very good album that could have been better (just like 'Hard Candy'). My favourites are "Hollywood', 'I'm So Stupid', 'Nobody Knows Me', 'Die Another Day', 'Easy Ride'. To some extent I even like 'Love Profusion' but "I know I can feel bad/When I get in a bad mood"(aka one of the stupidest lines ever written for a song) kinda ruins it.

:rotfl: