The Official UK Charts Thread

thebigham

#2 is a great start, ok ok it aint gonna hit #1 and i know it won't hang on at #2 in the mids but if it falls, i just hope it aint any lower out the top 5! iTunes UK only show a banner for the album and not the single.

:rotfl:

Watch it PLUMMET next week.

*FLUSH* :queenbitch:

Poor QB - you've been predicting massive flops for the past 18 months and so far, only MA has met your expectations.....! 1/4 isn't too good ;)

Guest SuperPop

Itunes

9. Celebration - Madonna

54. Celebration - Madonna

110. Celebration (Benny Benassi Remix Edit) - Madonna

122. Celebration (Benny Benassi Remix) - Madonna

184. Celebration (Oakenfold Remix) - Madonna

Guest SuperPop

They should have put the video out with the radio edit. Its much more appealing to the casual fans.

I completely agree with that...the fact that the version used in the video is a house remix wont help the song (especially considering that the normal version gets all the airplay)

I completely agree with that...the fact that the version used in the video is a house remix wont help the song (especially considering that the normal version gets all the airplay)

Casual fans who never listen to radio will be put off by the remix. It doesn't have the same impact as the radio edit.

Hopefully LN will be better at promoting her music. Assuming that is that the music is worth promoting in the first place.

The video version is even worse than the dated radio edit. I've not seen it much when surfing the music channels but what I have noticed is that they're all practically back to back rotations of the current top 40 and airplay charts - I wonder why I even bother with Sky these days.

The music channels also show re runs of The Hills and that awful Kerry Katona reality show all the time.

Posted on Buzzjack today, top selling singles artist 1958-2009

The biggest selling singles act of all time in the UK is Cliff Richard, who has sold 21,328,000 singles since 1958 debut. Elvis Presley follows close of 20,918,000 and the Beatles sit in third place 20,821,000 but both Presley and Richard enjoyed considerable sales prior to September 1959, and the biggest selling singles act of the last 50 years is The Beatles, whose sales all fall within the period.

Richard has sold 20,183,000 singles since 1959, while Presley's tally of 15,824,000 puts him fourth in the table of the top acts in the last 50 years Madonna, who has sold 16,793,000 singles. The rest of the top 10 is as follows

5 Elton John 14,099,000

6 Michael Jackson 13,808,000

7 Queen 11,493,000

8 ABBA 10,812,000

9 Paul McCartney 10,034,000

10 David Bowie 10,012,000

The Beatles formidable total has hardly changed in the last 5 years, increasing during that period by 21,000, as physical stocks of their singles run out, while they remain unavailable as downloads. In the same period Cliff Richard has sold 375,000 singles, and Elvis Presley has sold a whopping 1,600,298, partly due a successful reissue campaign which saw many of his most popular titles re issued on CD and 10 inch and partly from sales of downloads of his extensive catalogue.

Source: MW by Alan Jones

Posted on Buzzjack today, top selling singles artist 1958-2009

The biggest selling singles act of all time in the UK is Cliff Richard, who has sold 21,328,000 singles since 1958 debut. Elvis Presley follows close of 20,918,000 and the Beatles sit in third place 20,821,000 but both Presley and Richard enjoyed considerable sales prior to September 1959, and the biggest selling singles act of the last 50 years is The Beatles, whose sales all fall within the period.

Richard has sold 20,183,000 singles since 1959, while Presley's tally of 15,824,000 puts him fourth in the table of the top acts in the last 50 years Madonna, who has sold 16,793,000 singles. The rest of the top 10 is as follows

5 Elton John 14,099,000

6 Michael Jackson 13,808,000

7 Queen 11,493,000

8 ABBA 10,812,000

9 Paul McCartney 10,034,000

10 David Bowie 10,012,000

The Beatles formidable total has hardly changed in the last 5 years, increasing during that period by 21,000, as physical stocks of their singles run out, while they remain unavailable as downloads. In the same period Cliff Richard has sold 375,000 singles, and Elvis Presley has sold a whopping 1,600,298, partly due a successful reissue campaign which saw many of his most popular titles re issued on CD and 10 inch and partly from sales of downloads of his extensive catalogue.

Source: MW by Alan Jones

This is a very good list and one that actually makes sense. The artists are all legends, they are those you would expect to appear in an all time list. Ranking by number ones brings in some pretty worthless acts.

"If" Celebration was the 1st or the 2nd single off COADF it would be a totally different story. There is no way it would have gone to no1 or spent as many weeks as HU did in the top 10 if released at that point. Its all If's and Buts.

The quality of her songs has nothing to do with topping the UK chart. If "Celebration" was the 1st or 2nd single of COADF, it would be going to #1. If it was going to #1 now, people would be popping bottles saying it's her best song since HU. Oh wait, some DID say that a month ago!

I don't see why this single "only" going to the top 5 is a sign of her not being Queen of Pop anymore. Just like people need to get used to Madonna not entering the top 20 with anything she releases, it's time to accept a Madonna lead off single won't be going to #1-#2 based on her name alone either.

I wonder about the album though, unfortunately the likes of Dizzie Rascal and Mika are released on the same week, but the UK is famous for loving these GH's, like MJ's, Whitney's, George Michael's...

National lottery show is not targeted at kids. I dont think ROL was in anyway aimed at the teenybop audience. ROL was projected in a motherely Madonna way. I personally think the album would not had won any teenybop fans.

Oh and fak, ROL was never aimed at the adult crowd, in fact it was the antithesis to the STR/Evita era where the kids stopped caring and ROL was considered as fresh and young. Techno/electronica was the current UK trend. Madonna got a lot of young fans (many of the online fans who were very young back then) with that album because of that and the massive amount of promo. She went to the National Lottery in the UK of all places to get a UK #1 single. I wish fans would realize their taste and perception on Madonna has the LEAST to do with her mainstream success.

Sorry went to No1 on its own accord. Yes she had a very favourable image at the time and the "comeback" was a success but it was a no1 on the airplay for a couple of weeks ad it was released in a week when there was going to be a change in the no1. if I

remember correctly Corine Bailey Ray was in fact ahead of Sorry in the mid-weeks?

There are plenty of examples where some artists have had huge no1's but the follow up disappears. If the song is not liked then it wont get anywhere, especially if its from an album which had already sold a million by then.

^That's just your taste, both HU and S can be considered just as generic as "Celebration". Not to mention that "Sorry" went to #1 only because it came after a massive #1 and basically anything from COADF could have went to the top on that February week.

And like I said, "generic" is not even an argument when the UK has the likes of Basshunter, Scooter and Freemasons topping the charts. I understand for YOU "Celebration" is way below anything on COADF but that has little to do with mainstream appeal.

You're right that singles can last longer, but actually because of that peaks are lower. GI2M is the perfect example, it was in the top 20 for several weeks and between HC and its own release, it never left the top 100. I think the chart run of "Celebration" and "Revolver" will put the supposed "disappointment" of GI2M in perspective.

Which of Madonna's older songs are likely to re-chart because of the GH? LAV, Holiday, ITG, Vogue, HU? It would be ace if Holiday re-enters the chart - it would be on a 4th run.

Is there any chance that a song off the album will be re-issued as a single just like Holiday and CFY were because of TIC. An updated version of LTT could do well - its one of M's best songs but very under-rated. I think it could have very broad appeal. The dance songs could end up sounding cheesey if remixed.