US Chart Talk: 12/27/08

thebigham

Billboard Chart Beat Chat:

FOUR DOUBLES

Fred,

Did you notice that eight of the top 10 songs on the Hot 100 chart for the week ending Dec. 27 are from four artists?

Beyonce has two (“Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)” and “If I Were a Boy”) , T.I. has two (“Live Your Life” and “Whatever You Like”), Britney Spears has two (“Circus” and “Womanizer”) and Kanye West has two (“Heartless” and “Love Lockdown”).

Not sure if this has occurred before, but it seems pretty cool.

Dan Miller

Manchester, Mo.

Dear Dan,

You were one of about a dozen readers who wrote in to point out the four doubles in the top 10, and most wanted to know if this has ever happened before.

Usually that is one of the questions that prompts me to say the only way to be sure would be to manually search through 50 years of Hot 100 charts. And while that’s true, the flurry of e-mails on the topic convinces me that if this had ever happened before, I would have heard from at least a dozen readers. Then there’s the fact that I don’t ever remember this happening before, at least not in my 16-year tenure writing this column.

thatçs really strange:whe Usher had two singles in the top ten at the same time, i think they said that that only happened with the beatles

Guest nothingfails0603

The Bee Gees had three top 10's at once in early 1978 when Saturday Night Fever mania was at it's peak

Michael Jackson with Beat It/Billie Jean in April/May 1983

Prince with When Doves Cry/Let's Go Crazy in Sept 1984

Linda Ronstadt with Blue Bayou/It's So Easy in late 1977 (she took a page out of the Beyonce book and released two singles at once)

M with Material Girl/Crazy For You in April 1985

Whitney during Bodyguard also, she almost had three but I Will Always Love You dropped out of the top 10 the week I Have Nothing came in.

HITS:

YOUR WEAKEND-BEFORE-XMAS TOP 10 CHART PREVIEW: Next week’s album chart may look something like this:

1. Taylor Swift (Big Machine), 340-355k

2. Keyshia Cole (Geffen debut), 300-315k

3. Jamie Foxx (J/RMG debut), 230-245k

4. Britney Spears (Jive/ZLG), 175-190k

4. Beyonce (Music World/Columbia), 175-190k

6. Nickelback (Roadrunner), 165-175k

7. Twilight (Chop Shop/Atlantic), 150-160k

8. AC/DC (Columbia), 140-150k

9. Fall Out Boy (Island/IDJ debut), 130-135k

10. Kanye West (Roc-A-Fella/IDJ), 125-130k

10. Now 29 (UMe), 125-130k

10. David Cook (19/RCA/RMG), 125-130k

10. Anthony Hamilton (LaFace/ZLG debut), 125-130k

Of course, with this being the last weekend before Christmas, these numbers are subject to change. And obviously Britney and Beyonce won’t both be #4, nor will we have four #10s. Ho, ho, ho. (12/19a)

With all the terrible weather this weekend (pretty much everywhere in the U.S. above the 40th parallel), I am wondering if sales will be down? The U.S. movie box office was shit this past weekend. Maybe Internet sales will make up for it.

really? I only can remember the beatles, usher and this last era...but of course I can be wrong

Mariah Carey's WBT,SIO were #1 and #2 at the same time

Kelly Clarkson's Since U been Gone, Behind These Hazel Eyes

Taylor Swift's Love Story/Fearless just weeks ago...

Rihanna's SOS/Unfaithful