VANCOUVER - October 30 - FAN Reports/Pics/Videos

Dindi

Guest Mogadonna

Wheres the full review? I've spent a bit of time in Vancouver, ex bf lives there. It's a funny place, I liked it but at the same time it never grabbed me the same way places in America did. People in Vancouver are quite snooty, it's a shame really cause it's a great city easy to get around etc..

I've spent a bit of time in Vancouver, ex bf lives there. It's a funny place, I liked it but at the same time it never grabbed me the same way places in America did. People in Vancouver are quite snooty, it's a shame really cause it's a great city easy to get around etc..

Wow, I've never felt that way. Vancouver is probably one of two cities I have ever visited in my life that I actually thought about retiring in. I think people there have always been very friendly to me and the city itself is beautiful. I had my 32nd birthday party there during the Festival of Light.

Anyway, I am glad people had a great time at the show!! It's about time she performed there. :thumbsup:

Okay, here's my full review:

I arrived at 7 pm and went to the souvenir stands to buy a tourbook. I then went to find my seat. I was surprised by how good the view was, given that I wasn't able to get front row tickets. The opening act was DJ Inferno, who played some awesome dance remixes, including many Madonna songs. The grand lady herself was an hour late as usual, so I just chit chatted with this guy who sat beside me. Oddly enough, he was from out of town and married, but came alone to see the show. But anyways, I digress....

People were trickling in up to the very last minute, but by the time the show started there was not an empty seat in the house. Like everyone else who saw the show for the first time, I was in awe by the box, which unfolded like some futuristic Rubiks cube. The buildup was a lot better than I had anticipated and I have to say that those dreadful YouTube clips does not do the show justice, AT ALL.

"Candy Shop" sounded very good. This is a song that has definitely grown on me a lot and the live performances only further consolidates my affection for it. Nevertheless, it was just a warm up. What follows is most certainly one of the highlights of the show.

"The Beat Goes On" is just flawless. From the choreography to the elaborate stage set up. The whole performance could have been captured on film and the resulting footage would have rivalled some of her better music videos. The crowd also loved it, especially when the car started to roll out. I swear WB is just stupid stupid stupid not releasing this song as a single.

"Human Nature" is probably the first real dud of the evening. Madonna isn't completely to blame though. I think it was at this point in the show that I began to notice how truly shitty the acoustics were in the stadium. There was so much reverberation that the music often sounds like a drone. Judging by the look on her face, I suspect Madonna may have noticed too and seemed annoyed. At the start of the song, she also asked the people at the front to please stop smoking near the stage. (There were a lot of people smoking pot inside the stadium, which is rather typical here.)

"Vogue". I can't really say anymore than what has already been said here many times. Great performance. Great remix. Great dancing. Crowd LOVES it.

"Into The Groove." Probably one of her most energetic performances. She looks like a little girl on stage. Once again, the audience absolutely goes gaga over this Madonna classic. She also tried to get the audience to sing the song while she skips rope.

"Heartbeat." Good but not great. Pretty generic performance.

"Borderline." I wasn't sure how the crowd was going to respond to a rock version, but they liked it. It was very well done and probably one of her better guitar-driven numbers in this show.

"She's Not Me." I wasn't too into this one. I did like her going absolutely insane near the end though.

"Music." Great mash-up. I also liked the subway effects using those screens. This was yet another crowd pleaser with lots of energy.

"Devil Wouldn't Recognize You." Absolutely stunning. The rain and water effects on that circular screen was just ethereal. She also sung it beautifully.

"Spanish Lesson." I hate this song but I have to say it works in this show. It really works. That video backdrop with that woman may look like a South American shampoo commercial, but I just can't stop looking at it. It's strangely captivating and enhances the song.

"Miles Away." No comments about Guy Ritchie. She said it was a sad song and invited the audience to sing and clap with the song. Vancouverites of course happily obliged.

"La Isla Bonita." Yet another highlight. Colourful, energetic and a little bit of kitsch. FANTASTIC!

"You Must Love Me." This is the first number when I notice people starting to sit down. Nevertheless, people cheered enthusiastically and her vocals here were the best in the entire show. She nailed this one.

"4 Minutes." Okay. It got a good response, but most probably because it was her most recent hit.

"Like a Prayer." This one brought down the house. It was just pure ecstasy. The crowd was as its loudest. I absolutely need to get my hands on this remix.

"Ray of Light." She's done it all before, ain't nothing new.

"Like a Virgin". The request song of the night. She initially grimaced at the suggestion, but then was a good sport about it. She asked the girl who requested it if she was a virgin. :lol: Anyway, great audience participation. We basically sung one whole verse and the chorus.

At this point, she refered to this giant digital clock that was in front of stage. It was 11:02 pm and she asked us if that was too late for us and whether we had enough. We of course shouted back with a resounding NO.

"Hung Up." This is probably the one performance I did NOT like. Just no.

"Give It 2 Me." Great finale. Lots of energy once again and the whole stadium was transformed into a giant rave. Like in other shows, she also asked audience members to sing the chorus.

Overall, a great and unforgettable night. Everything went as planned with no technical difficulties. I have to say my expectations are exceeded and my only regret is not being able to secure front row seats. I also hope she takes a pass on stadiums in her next tour because the acoustics is just shitty.

nice review dindi

did you just take this photo 4 that hot guy? :p

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/8654/img0444ln4.jpg

:angel: :angel: :angel:

There were a lot of hot guys there that night. I think all of gay Vancouver must have been there! :lol: In fact, there was a whole bank of hot men seated to my right. :horny:

THANKS! I was afraid that my experience would be spoiled after seeing all those YouTube clips. However, the real deal is completely different and so much better. It's bittersweet in some ways because it took me so long to finally catch her live, and I'm not sure she'll come to Vancouver again (although selling out a 60,000 capacity stadium should be a great incentive).

You Must Love Me

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVP_Lvj4v1g&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVP_Lvj4v1g&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVP_Lvj4v1g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

As you can see, lots of cheers from the audience.

:clap: some people dare to say she cant sing...that's what a great singer do wit her voice, just pure raw emotion :bow: she used 2 b a good singer but now she is a great 1. feel so proud 2 b a fan :inlove:

Edited by X_FACTOR

And I was quite happy with the audience response in Vancouver. I was thinking that we were going to be pretty quiet and chilled out, since we don't tend to get excited about anything unless it has to do with hockey.

i was there last night and it rocked. no one sat down the entire time. she was great and talked alot. it was weird at the end when everyone was standing there waiting for the encore. the traffic and the in/out of the stadium itself was a mess, it took until 9:15 for everyone to get to their seats.

LOVED the show!!

Oooh! Another one who attended the show. That makes three from this forum! :wow:

I know what you mean about traffic. I was coming from Richmond and I had to cross two bridges. I left at 5:30 and didn't get to the stadium until 7:00. It's a good thing a friend lent me his private parking pass so at least that wasn't a hassle. Where were you seated?

I believe the audience in my section were sitting down during "You Must Love Me." I think that was the only part in the entire show. The rest of the time we were standing up and in some cases, we were on our tippy toes just to get a better view.

You Must Love Me

As you can see, lots of cheers from the audience.

hmmm... does she sing the ending "things that I'm longing to say" bit the same in other shows... i liked it..

Anyone that went, did you notice how far the catwalk went. I heard row 21. Since this is the first stadium show for North America, I was just wondering. Thanks.