In a low-sales era, what's a hit in music?

Skin

Guest Danny86
Everyone will see how Confessions will sell more as a catalog album than HC in no time

Neither of them will be catalog sellers. Not in the download era, and not if "Hung Up" & "4 Minutes" will be on the new compilation.

but anyone who says that is shouted down.

HC is not a flop, but is not a hit as some loons want it to be. It is well underperforming everywhere, except in the States. It has sold less than 1/3 than Confessions, and less than 1/4 in Europe.

Sales havent dropped that much in 2.5 yrs

Everyone will see how Confessions will sell more as a catalog album than HC in no time

There was no guarantee HU was going to be that big in Europe. ABBA samples and dance music does not gaurantee success. Numbers of dance songs making it into the top 10 have been much lower 2003-2008 as compared to 1997-2002.

HU was a fresh pop song after the 3 less commercial releases- 2 of which were huge.

HU has sold a 1 million plus in the USA -more airplay andmore promo - i think it would have had done 2 million plus with ease.

Dance music is now back in the USA - PCDs, Rihanna, Ne YO, Timbaland, Estelle, and so many others haveproved dance music can sell.

well, if just taking the US market into consideration, Hung Up was nowhere as calculated as 4 Minutes. 4 Minutes was Madonna begging for a hit after US radio snubbed AL and COADF by calling up two of the hottest names in music. Hung Up may have been calculated in Europe with the classic ABBA sample, but in the US, I don't think it really had any calculation outside of the gay market which frankly (and sadly) the only market that still cares about dance music in the states.

HC defenders always state how low sales of CDs are now compared with 2005, but they never mention how digital sales of itunes have exploded in the same period of time when comparing

4 minutes with Hung Up

A track can reach number 1 if digital sales are very high in its first week. Even Coldplay did it with minor airplay

Guest Danny86
There was no guarantee HU was going to be that big in Europe. ABBA samples and dance music does not gaurantee success. Numbers of dance songs making it into the top 10 have been much lower 2003-2008 as compared to 1997-2002.

Please, "Hung Up" was meant to be a hit. The sample was there to catch the attention of the older people, the ABBA fans. The rest of the song with the bassline and "time goes by so slowly" and the chorus repeated till no end was as calculated as it can get. It's a fantastic song, but saying it was any less hit material or more "artsy" than "4 Minutes" is ridiculous.

i enjoyed hard candy, and i dont think its much worse than coadf or as flop as american life. coadf was for europe and casual gay fans, hard candy was for u.s. lack of promotion really did play a part in lower sales. but it is still one of the best selling albums of the year unlike american life or erotica.

[reach the 2 million bar. Given this, here's how we should evaluate top sales now.

THE NEW DEFINITIONS...

BLOCKBUSTER: 2 MILLION & UP

The equivalent of 5 million, or more, back in 2000

Alicia Keys "As I Am" 3.6 million

Lil Wayne "Tha Carter III" 2.6M

Carrie Underwood "Carnival Ride" 2.3M

Kid Rock "Rock n Roll Jesus" 2.1M

Rascal Flatts "Still Feels Good" 2M

SMASH: 1 MILLION & UP

The equivalent of 3 million in 2000

Garth Brooks "Ultimate Hits" 1.9 million

Chris Brown "Exclusive" 1.81M

Coldplay "Viva la Vida" 1.81M

Jack Johnson "Sleep Throughthe Static" 1.4M

Leona Lewis "Spirit" 1.18M

Metallica "Death Magnetic" 1.11M (in just four weeks)

Mariah Carey "E=MC2" 1.1M

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss "Raising Sand" 1.09M

"Mamma Mia!" soundtrack 1.05M

Usher "Here I Stand" 1.04M

"Camp Rock" soundtrack 1.034M

Led Zeppelin "Mothership" 995,000

The Jonas Brothers "A Little Bit Longer" 992,000

Miley Cyrus "Breakout" 953,000

Jordin Sparks "Jordin Sparks" 932,833

Sugarland "Love on the Inside" 922,000

HIT: 500,000 & UP

The equivalent of a million-selling, platinum CD in 2000

"Alvin and the Chipmunks" soundtrack 876,772

OneRepublic "Dreaming Out Loud" 791,000

Disturbed "Indestructible" 756,000

Rick Ross "Trilla" 684,000

Madonna "Hard Candy" 654,000

Keith Urban "Greatest Hits" 632,000

Radiohead "In Rainbows" 625,000

George Strait "Troubador" 579,000

3 Doors Down "3 Doors Down" 578,000

Seether "Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces" 559,000

Alan Jackson "Good Time" 552,000

Danity Kane "Welcome to the Dollhouse" 546,000

Duffy "Rockferry" 528,000

Plies "Definition of Real" 520,000

Young Jeezy "The Recession" 516,000

Trace Adkins "Greatest Hits Volume 2" 508,000

jfarber@nydailynews.com

are these stats from US sales only ??????????????????????

:bruised:

Guest hotstickyandsweet
:thumbsup:

Yes. This article doesn't make sense but since it says Madonna is not flopping we must believe in it.

Face it, the album is NOT a flop. With 1, yes 1 hit song, the album is not far off from selling as much as Usher right now. Albeit low sales, I'd say HC is doing pretty well even though our fuck face US radio stations are still snubbing her. 700,000 by years end is NOT that shabby by any means. It's all about longevity. Mariah is oh yeah gone, Usher fell below 100, so let's just admit we didn't get the blockbuster sales of like 20 years ago, but we got a WONDERFUL cd from her Madgesty.

Once Madonna said she was leaving Warner I felt HC was going to suffer for it. Warner and Madonna both seem to be doing the minimum to sell it and I don't think they've been a happy partnership for a while now. If I'm right about that, the CD is selling in spite of itself.

No Wal-Marts or Targets in my area have HC in stock.

Hard Candy is currently the #3 best seller at Virgin Times Square, which shows what good pricing ($10) and availability (tons of copies) can do.

looking just to usa figures is misleading. madonna hasnt been a best selling artist in america since true blue. as far as i remember, ray of light wasnt even top10 in usa's best selling albums in 1998. i think hard candy did quite well in these conditions. for the next album she will probably go for more serious and deeper meaning songs because she has been too pop for the last 3-4 years. i'd love to see her working with joe henry and lenny kravitz for a full album.

looking just to usa figures is misleading. madonna hasnt been a best selling artist in america since true blue. as far as i remember, ray of light wasnt even top10 in usa's best selling albums in 1998. i think hard candy did quite well in these conditions. for the next album she will probably go for more serious and deeper meaning songs because she has been too pop for the last 3-4 years. i'd love to see her working with joe henry and lenny kravitz for a full album.

madonna has been a best selling artist in the US all her life.Of course, not the best seller, that happened only with LAV, but she´s been , well multiplatinum all her career! in fact, maybe that´s the difference between her and all the different "madonnas" (paula...):they were the best seller one day, and nobody next day.Madonna, no, even when she hasn´t have the top seller album of the year

No song is a guaranteed hit. People can aim for a hit or hope for a hit but until the release theres no gaurantee. Using someone elses sample or duetting always appeals to a newer audience but still many sampled and duets have flopped. Classic example the disgrace that was MATM - weak song, neither girls American radio darlings,

Hung UP was not artsy it was just a billion times better than 4 Mins IMO.

Please, "Hung Up" was meant to be a hit. The sample was there to catch the attention of the older people, the ABBA fans. The rest of the song with the bassline and "time goes by so slowly" and the chorus repeated till no end was as calculated as it can get. It's a fantastic song, but saying it was any less hit material or more "artsy" than "4 Minutes" is ridiculous.

Guest nothingfails0603
Face it, the album is NOT a flop. With 1, yes 1 hit song, the album is not far off from selling as much as Usher right now. Albeit low sales, I'd say HC is doing pretty well even though our fuck face US radio stations are still snubbing her. 700,000 by years end is NOT that shabby by any means. It's all about longevity. Mariah is oh yeah gone, Usher fell below 100, so let's just admit we didn't get the blockbuster sales of like 20 years ago, but we got a WONDERFUL cd from her Madgesty.

Usher sucks and his previous album was a fluke. His album is a huge disaster saleswise, not the best analogy if you want to argue that HC is a hit IMO

does anyone have any idea of what the % drop is yearly in overall cd sales since the year 2000?

Usher sucks and his previous album was a fluke. His album is a huge disaster saleswise, not the best analogy if you want to argue that HC is a hit IMO

Some of you just can't admit it LOL. Hard Candy bombed alright [ in the USA ]. It had everything to be a hit, Justina colabo, Timbaland produced tracks, Madonna showing her ass. Timbaland even promoted 4 Minutes about 6 months before the single dropped in every radio interview he had. Ellen Degeneres played the record every day in her show. And so on. The "sales are not what used to be" excuse doesn't apply here.

So when Brits new album ends up selling less then Hard Candy around the world will you fess up that its a massive bomb also? I just dont see how having one of the top 5 albums in the world of the year so far is a bomb. Sure it could be performing better but lets get real.

So when Brits new album ends up selling less then Hard Candy around the world will you fess up that its a massive bomb also? I just dont see how having one of the top 5 albums in the world of the year so far is a bomb. Sure it could be performing better but lets get real.

Read again, Skin, IN THE USA.

I'm so tired of the comparison between COAD and HC. COAD had much more promotion going on, and it had the Holiday sales. If HC would have been released 6 month sooner the results would be very different.

HC is not a flop but it could have done much better, Madonna and WB are to blame. On the other hand the effort to promote an album is probably not worth it if it just sells 1 or 2 million more in the end. In Madonna's case it really is easier to go on tour and make real money.

Guest nothingfails0603
I'm so tired of the comparison between COAD and HC. COAD had much more promotion going on, and it had the Holiday sales. If HC would have been released 6 month sooner the results would be very different.

HC is not a flop but it could have done much better, Madonna and WB are to blame. On the other hand the effort to promote an album is probably not worth it if it just sells 1 or 2 million more in the end. In Madonna's case it really is easier to go on tour and make real money.

I think the reason that HC looks like such a massive dud in the US compared to COADF is the whole genre thing. Dance music is seen as a niche in America and even "huge" artists in the genre rarely if ever sell above 100k total (think Goldfrapp's Supernature, that was considered a blockbuster as far as dance goes in the US, or Cyndi Lauper's latest as a more recent example. In terms of the dance world, the album completely re-energized her career and put her back on top... but in actuality, it's sold under 50k, but for dance it's a smash) and Madonna almost effortlessly sold 1.6 million, over doubling AL, with very little airplay. With HC, Madonna was going for the safest and more commercial album stateside she's done since Bedtime Stories, going into a genre with a much wider audience than dance music and working with some of the hottest names around, yet despite airplay for 4 Minutes she hasn't seen since Don't Tell Me, the album is just doing slightly better than AL, an album everyone agrees was a commercial disaster stateside. I'm realistic that sales are down, but if COADF could sell 1.6 million with no US airplay and being a genre that has little appeal outside of gay men, HC should've had no problem passing the million mark.

Guest Danny86

Just because an album has a genre that's supposedly embraced by the US, it doesn't mean it could easily sell a million. Janet's last 2 albums were very US-friendly in sound, she even ripped off the Danja style with "Feedback" yet she kept on selling less and less with each release.

And having one single getting exposure and reaching 60 million audience impressions is not enough in 2008 to direct the public's attention to a whole album. Basically if the 11 other tracks on the album were acoustic AL stuff, it still wouldn't affected sales. That's why I'm wondering if the next Madonna era will have the regular CD album or we'll just have singles or EPs or who knows that new ways because we all know the next album won't sell as much as Hard Candy.

Well... if an album that is the #26 best selling of the year in US until now it's not a hit than it's what??????

Common, the album will finish the year being a TOP 40 best selling album for the year in US.

If Ray of Light was a MEGAHIT and finish the Year end Chart at #18 than this album is certainly a HIT... just not a MEGAHIT.

Besides, singles are now the ones who sell again... it's what download era is doing ;)

Can someone tell me how much did "4 minutes" and "Give It 2 Me" sold in US (physical + downloads). Thanks.

Also, if the download tunes and rings for mobile phones are counted at Billboard, because these are extremly expensive (at least here in Portugal).

I don´t know, but I think you are right, look at rihanna, she has sold only 2 million copies,and she has had like 5 umber 1´s!

Has it even reached 2 million yet? And that is with tons of hits and a re-release.

Guest nothingfails0603
Has it even reached 2 million yet? And that is with tons of hits and a re-release.

Rihanna's really a singles artist IMO.

Plus, to be honest, lack of video exposure hurts a lot. It's taken three years and about a dozen hit records for Rihanna to be as recognized in 2008 as someone like Samantha Fox or Laura Branigan were in the 1980's.... very very very far away from the superstar level she would've had twenty years ago.

Guest Danny86
Rihanna's really a singles artist IMO.

She surely is. But in the download era, most artists are, unless they are U2, or the band that fills the gap when they are away, or the flavour of the moment hot rapper. You have your fanbase buying your CD in the first week, but that's that.

Guest nothingfails0603
She surely is. But in the download era, most artists are, unless they are U2, or the band that fills the gap when they are away, or the flavour of the moment hot rapper. You have your fanbase buying your CD in the first week, but that's that.

I think a lot of this is karma for pushing Britney, N'Sync, BSB, etc... as "albums artists" instead of letting the consumers decide if they want the CD or the single in the 90's, especially considering those three had high filler ratios on their albums after the singles and weren't exactly Madonna/Garbage/Bjork/Tori in terms of crafting an entire album worth listening to and demanding of your purchase. The industry fucked itself with its greed and turned recordbuyers off and they're still suffering as a result of deserved consumer rebellion.