The Official UK Charts Thread

Guest Hafo

Guest Danny86
wow, four weeks at number 1...and the album at number 2 (like Erotica, Better than Bedtime Stories, like I´m breathless...and yes, better than Kylie´s last album)

Hard Candy debuted at #1 last week. :p

Guest marsha
It's official: Madonna is number ONE in the UK for a 4th week!

great! and the promo should boost album sales next.

Guest marsha
Number one single :thumbsup: Scooter number one album :scared: Us brits sometimes scare me

Who is this Scooter?? is its album good?

Guest Hafo

Best Selling Singles To Date - 2008

1 1 Duffy Mercy

2 2 Basshunter feat. DJ Mental Theos Now You're Gone

3 3 Nickelback Rockstar

4 4 Estelle feat. Kanye West American Boy

5 5 Adele Chasing Pavements

6 9 Madonna feat. Justin Timberlake 4 Minutes

7 6 Rihanna Don't Stop The Music

8 7 Flo-Rida feat. T-Pain Low

9 8 H Two 0 feat. Platnum What's It Gonna Be

10 11 Sam Sparro Black & Gold

11 12 One Republic Stop And Stare

12 10 Britney Spears Piece Of Me

13 13 Leona Lewis Better In Time/Footprints In The Sand

14 14 Kelly Rowland Work

15 15 Soulja Boy Tellem Crank That (Soulja Boy)

16 16 David Jordan Sun Goes Down

17 18 Timbaland Presents One Republic Apologize

18 17 Kylie Minogue Wow

19 19 Lupe Fiasco feat. Matthew Santos Superstar

20 20 Alphabeat Fascination

and on the Albums Chart:

#54 (+7) MADONNA - THE IMMACULATE COLLECTION

Guest boytoyville

Nice to see 4 minutes stay a top at of the singles chart! IMPRESSIVE! Too bad the album couldn't hang on for a second week. I really thought it would. Sales seem to be a bit low in the UK but overall good job. The tour is really going to help the album out over there.

Guest SuperPop
Who is this Scooter?? is its album good?

German Happy hardcore techno band..one of the worst music acts in history..

Even though second week sales for HC were looking relatively low, it is crazy that Scooter even sell albums. The advert for their album was everywhere last week though.

It will be interesting to see the sales figures.

Airplay

01 02 Adele Cold Shoulder

02 04 Sam Sparro Black & Gold

03 03 Madonna feat Justin Timberlake 4 Minutes

04 05 Scouting For Girls Heartbeat

05 11 Kylie Minogue In My Arms

Just about sums up what' s wrong with British radio - Madonna's been number 1 for four weeks and radio doesn't exactly go overboard. Kylie's been a poor seller since the early 00s but everything she releases gets and airplay top 5. :manson:

I blame the chavs and neds, i was in Asda yesterday and there was only two copies of that album left on the shelf and Madonna was full.

Everyshop I've been in has had the shelves FULL of HC - I think there's been a MAJOR over shipment and we'll be seeing it in the BARGAIN BINS before the summer's out. :chuckle:

Wrong lead single that's all , we must wait for GI2M and see :boxing:

:lmao:

This is like American Life and Hollywood all over again.

GI2M ain't gonna save Hard Candy. Fact is the ablum ain't that good so it's not exactly gonna get any positive word of mouth.

I don't think it'll be as big a fuck up as the AL era but for the first time in her career, Madonna is in Britney's league - i.e. - she'll have some sizeable hits from an album that doesn't really sell. It'll be lucky to do 500k in total which by Madonna's standards is a :flop:

Guest marsha

GI2M ain't gonna save Hard Candy. Fact is the ablum ain't that good so it's not exactly gonna get any positive word of mouth.

I don't think it'll be as big a fuck up as the AL era but for the first time in her career, Madonna is in Britney's league - i.e. - she'll have some sizeable hits from an album that doesn't really sell. It'll be lucky to do 500k in total which by Madonna's standards is a :flop:

Queen bitch, you deserve so much first part of your name;-) HC is not AL. no way. 4M is a monster hit. AL single was a flop.

if only M could be in Britney's league, she'd be 25 again. in fact, the question is, will Britney be one day in Madonna's league? won't bet about the 500k. you could cry your blind eyes in a few weeks/months bitch ;-)

Guest Danny86

"4 Minutes" is a HUGE hit compared to "American Life" & "Hollywood". The thing is, these downloads are going to eat a lot of album sales. Even if Madonna released 5 singles from Hard Candy, most people will just going to download the tracks individually instead of buying the album, because it's easier and cheaper. It has nothing to do with being on the level of Britney. Unless you're Leona Lewis, Amy Winehouse, Duffy or any other current UK darling, you won't get huge album sales now.

I really don't think there's bad word of mouth regarding the album, there have been some bad UK reviews from Q and the likes, but the success of "4 Minutes"and now her live performance should balance that.

Guest tir69

Last week sales in UK :

Hard Candy : 29.667 ( -69% )

4 Minutes : 29.821 ( total in uk 245.199 copies sold )

Guest SuperPop

Sales

Singles

29821 Madonna

26581 Wiley

25370 Sam Sparro

15025 Coldplay (8)

12206 Kylie Minogue (10)

7695 James Fox (15)

Albums

33557 Scooter

29667 Madonna

Guest SuperPop
"4 Minutes" is a HUGE hit compared to "American Life" & "Hollywood". The thing is, these downloads are going to eat a lot of album sales. Even if Madonna released 5 singles from Hard Candy, most people will just going to download the tracks individually instead of buying the album, because it's easier and cheaper. It has nothing to do with being on the level of Britney. Unless you're Leona Lewis, Amy Winehouse, Duffy or any other current UK darling, you won't get huge album sales now.

I really don't think there's bad word of mouth regarding the album, there have been some bad UK reviews from Q and the likes, but the success of "4 Minutes"and now her live performance should balance that.

'Hung Up' sold vastly more than 4M and still COADF had amazing sales...the problem with 4M is that it doesnt help at all the album either because it doesnt lure Madonna fans or because it is so successful due to Justin & Timbo (and as it seems Timbo/Justin fans wont buy the album)

Album sales dive

Monday May 12, 2008

By Alan Jones

Unseasonably hot weather and an insipid release slate in an already weak retail climate spelt disaster last week, with album sales diving 18.6% to 1,631,962.

That’s their second lowest level in 436 chart weeks in the 21st century, beating only the 1,564,412 albums sold exactly eight years ago, in the sales week ending 13 May 2000, when Tom Jones’ Reload was the top artist album on sales of 33,662, while Now! That’s What I Call Music 45 was overall chart champ, with sales of 51,015.

This week, no compilation sold more than 21,277 copies – the number that Clubland Classix: The Album Of Your Life sold to take the number one slot for the fifth time in a row, for Blackburn dance label All Around The World and its partner Universal Music Television. It’s the 20th number one compilation for the two companies since their first joint venture in 2002 – and they also jointly secure the first number one artist album of their partnership this week.

Madonna was the last US female singer to spend more than a week at number one in this country, spending a fortnight on top with 2005 album Confessions On A Dance Floor, and was widely expected to repeat the feat this week, with her 11th number one, Hard Candy – but with sales of the album tumbling by 68.7% to 29,667, it slips to number two, being replaced in pole position by German techno band Scooter, whose AATW/UMTV set, Jumping All Over The World, debuts at the summit, on sales of 33,557.

Scooter’s first single in three years, The Question Is What Is The Question – powered by a questionable speeded-up sample from Dutch duo Mouth & MacNeal’s 1972 single, How Do You Do - hasn’t acquitted itself too well so far, moving 49-62-67-49 since release last month, making Jumping All Over The World’s success something of a surprise.

It all makes sense when you know that the new album is part of a double CD set, the second part of which is crammed with 20 older recordings, among them all 12 of their previous hits. This key fact, plus widespread price discounting and a TV campaign, clearly gave the album a major boost.

Singles weren’t immune from the slump in sales. Week-on-week, they ebbed 6.3% to 1,716,745 – their lowest level for 22 weeks, but were still 16.3% up on the same week in 2007.

Number one for the fourth week in a row, 4 Minutes is now in a three way tie as Madonna’s longest-reigning number one, alongside her first chart-topper, 1985’s Into The Groove, and 1990’s Vogue. 4 Minutes, on which Madonna is partnered by Justin Timberlake, sold a further 29,821 copies last week to take its eight week sales tally to 245,199 copies. That’s enough to make it her biggest selling single since Hung Up sold 507,764 in 2005. However, it’s the first number one to sell fewer than 30,000 copies since Bleeding Love sold 29,616 copies in the last week of its seven week reign, some 22 weeks ago.

That Madonna is still number one is something of a surprise, however, as Wiley’s Wearing My Rolex had looked set to roar to the summit following physical release. In fact, it climbs 3-2, with sales of 26,581 representing a 2.8% dip week-on-week, despite being newly available on CD and 12-inch.

Meanwhile, Sam Sparro’s debut hit, Black & Gold, which has been number two for the last fortnight, slips to third place on sales of 25,370.

Of just five new entries to the Top 75 this week, by far the biggest impression is made by Coldplay’s Violet Hill, which makes a creditable number eight debut on sales of 15,025 downloads, despite the fact it was previously available as a free download, and was also given away as a 7-inch covermount with NME.

Coldplay’s first single since Talk in 2005, it’s the introductory single from their eagerly awaited new album Viva La Vida, Or Death And All His Friends. It’s the band’s 10th hit, of which all but the first (Shiver) reached the Top 10.

The only previous chart singles called In My Arms – by Erasure and Mylo – both peaked at number 13, so by comparison Kylie Minogue is doing well to move 46-10 (12,206 sales) with her hit of that title, following its physical release. It’s Minogue’s third straight Top 10 hit from current album X, and her 16th Top 10 hit in a row. In all, the 39 year old has scored 43 Top 75 hits, of which 41 have reached the Top 40, and 31 have made the Top 10.

Previously in the chart exactly four years ago, when his Hold On To Our Love peaked at number 13 – beating the number 16 place it limped to in Eurovision – Welsh singer/songwriter James Fox returns to the Top 40 this week, along with Cardiff City FC, debuting at number 15 with Bluebirds Flying High. The song celebrates the success of Fox’s hometown football team in reaching the FA Cup Final for the first time in 81 years. Not surprisingly, the song is number one in Wales, where 92.1% of its 7,695 sales were made.

Well it is a bit early to say HC is a flop as 4M is not a typical lead single and is clearly not generating high initial sales.

The other singles may help her sales over a longer period. I do hope HC doesn't go the way of AL.

It does look as if the album will fail to meet anywhere near the COADF UK sales.

My point is that in UK Britney has had a string of massive hit singles but the parent album has failed to take off - I'm predicting likewise for HC.

You should watch coadf chart trajectory before making a fairytale prediction. During the tour in 2006 Coadf re-entered in the uk top40: 33-28-24-28-37...

That happened 9 (NINE!!!) months after Coadf was released. And now you predict that the next tour, after just-only-barely 4 months from the release of HC, won't help HC sales?!? You really live in the fairies world. :lmao:

You should watch coadf chart trajectory before making a fairytale prediction. During the tour in 2006 Coadf re-entered in the uk top40: 33-28-24-28-37...

That happened 9 (NINE!!!) months after Coadf was released. And now you predict that the next tour, after just-only-barely 4 months from the release of HC, won't help HC sales?!? You really live in the fairies world. :lmao:

OFFS - COADF's sales tailed off after Sorry and a slight flurry of chart activity at a time when it was in a lot of sales can not be seen as the tour helping - as if anyone buying a ticket to see Madonna wouldn't already have the album. :manson:

Guest danielal

Madonna I just hope she will do better in the future in UK with this album Hard Candy. C'non is an exellent album!

the radio 1 set is on tv tomorrow night so i think that might help sales this week. is there any chance it will go back to number 1? also theres not much competition in the singles chart so 4 minutes may stick at number 1. although i will find it strange if it becomes madonna's longest running uk number 1!

Guest Danny86
Looks like M choose the wrong lead off single. It REALLY look like it. Justin helps her album to flop...

I seriously doubt "Candy Shop" would have shifted more albums.

I seriously doubt "Candy Shop" would have shifted more albums.

True. That just lead us to the conclusion that there aren't many single-worthy songs on the album.

Miles Away and Devil Wouldn't Recognize You would've been better choices.