"Batuka" thread

I love the album as a whole. But there are 2 songs essential in this album that make it a much stronger effort than what she has done in a long time: God Control is one of those two, the second one is Batuka. Honestly, I keep coming back to these two. 

I was most looking forward to this but was a tad let down at first. It feels drawn out but it's in my head more than anything else so that's a good sign. Bodes well.

1 hour ago, berke said:

I love the album as a whole. But there are 2 songs essential in this album that make it a much stronger effort than what she has done in a long time: God Control is one of those two, the second one is Batuka. Honestly, I keep coming back to these two. 

This is the real risk taking song, something only Madonna could have pulled off

The final 30 seconds or so really moves me. It is this resilient song but those final melancholic seconds maybe  expose the ''hurt'' that is caused by the things the song is reacting against..Or maybe it is the sound of gloom caused by the realization that it is not going to be such an easy thing to do, to change how things are going in the world.  This song exposes a lot of emotions and, I'm just gonna say this, it is a masterpiece. It is growing with each listen. 

This is my favourite song of the album. When I first heard this song with my headphones on I got goosepumps. And I instantly had lots of pictures in my head and a certain feeling. There are not many songs out there that can do that. 

7 hours ago, berke said:

The final 30 seconds or so really moves me. It is this resilient song but those final melancholic seconds maybe  expose the ''hurt'' that is caused by the things the song is reacting against..Or maybe it is the sound of gloom caused by the realization that it is not going to be such an easy thing to do, to change how things are going in the world.  This song exposes a lot of emotions and, I'm just gonna say this, it is a masterpiece. It is growing with each listen. 

I think the song shifts into a Lament at the end. It’s powerful.

I love this song. Will it be a single? I was remembering there was pics of her filming this video on the beach.

35 minutes ago, juliebean said:

I love this song. Will it be a single? I was remembering there was pics of her filming this video on the beach.

I don’t think it will become a single but it will probably get video treatment for promotional purposes (kinda like Dark Ballet).

I think it’s funny when people complain that the verses are too repetitive or that the song doesn’t go anywhere. Isn‘t that what a chant is about? You cannot expect a catchy chorus in any tribal chants. That’s why I love it, it’s authentically bonkers and tribal and weird and doesn’t pretend to be a pop song in disguise.

My only gripe are M‘s vocals here. I believe this is the only time where M and Mirwais were wrong and should have kept her natural voice. But I will hopefully get used to it. The top notch production (I would say the best production on the album) keeps it very high in my list of favourites.

4 hours ago, Plaything said:

I don’t think it will become a single but it will probably get video treatment for promotional purposes (kinda like Dark Ballet).

oh that would be awesome. I loved those pics on the beach so pretty!

I absolutely love the drums and the echo back vocal and the tribal feel  but like some others I also feel it would have been more powerful if they left Ms vocals raw and unprocessed.  I suppose it's an artistic choice though to better fit in with the album vibe and also as a juxtaposition of M's futuristic robotic vocals being repeated by the natural unadorned voices of the Batuqueros  - almost as if to say their traditions/songs will still be heard for years to come.  I may be reaching there but I like that sentiment.  I love that she included a song like this on her album-whether you like it or not, you have to feel it's power.

1 hour ago, Mooncrown11 said:

I absolutely love the drums and the echo back vocal and the tribal feel  but like some others I also feel it would have been more powerful if they left Ms vocals raw and unprocessed.  I suppose it's an artistic choice though to better fit in with the album vibe and also as a juxtaposition of M's futuristic robotic vocals being repeated by the natural unadorned voices of the Batuqueros  - almost as if to say their traditions/songs will still be heard for years to come.  I may be reaching there but I like that sentiment.  I love that she included a song like this on her album-whether you like it or not, you have to feel it's power.

The whole album should have used her natural voice but I have to overlook 😂

4 hours ago, rocknrolla said:

The whole album should have used her natural voice but I have to overlook 😂

I am a fan of using her natural voice too and had to mentally prepare myself for this but I am warming up to the vocal effects

5 hours ago, Mooncrown11 said:

I suppose it's an artistic choice though to better fit in with the album vibe and also as a juxtaposition of M's futuristic robotic vocals being repeated by the natural unadorned voices of the Batuqueros  - almost as if to say their traditions/songs will still be heard for years to come.

This is such an interesting and clever takeaway.