Madonna interview for Europe 1

Moka

It's already on top of Google News France, tens of articles "Madonna compares Europe and France to the Nazi Germany".

Queen of controversy :sassy:

Can you guys hear what M says in the video (that is dubbed) or should I translate her dubbing back into english?

First question : "Two years ago, during your tour in France, you used strong words, you said you were the witness of frightening things that happened in Europe. Is it still a topical issue?"

M : "When I spoke at my last concerts, especially here in Paris at l'Olympia, I was speaking specificly about the growing of the fascist party. I was receiving a lot of criticism and threats from Marine Le Pen and her organization. I was making an observation that France was once a country that accepted people of color and artists like Josephin Baker or Charlie Parker, writers, painters, wathever. It was the country that embrassed everyone, France encouraged freedom of expression, all its forms, cinema, in arts. And now it's complety gone. I said this two years ago but it's still current today in this crazy time, that makes me think about the Nazi Germany. The level of intolerance is scary, but it's not just in France but in the whole Europe. Antisemitism, this whole aryan rengaine. This way of becoming, behaving and reacting in a climate of extreme fear... It's scary."

Second question : "Will we see you with Stromae during your tour in France?"

M : "I'd love to work with him. I'm not sure we'll be able to work together but I'll be in France this Summer, we'll see that!".

Guest Rocco Papa

First question : "Two years ago, during your tour in France, you used strong words, you said you were the witness of frightening things that happened in Europe. Is it still a topical issue?"

M : "When I spoke at my last concerts, especially here in Paris at l'Olympia, I was speaking specificly about the growing of the fascist party. I was receiving a lot of criticism and threats from Marine Le Pen and her organization. I was making an observation that France was once a country that accepted people of color and artists like Josephin Baker or Charlie Parker, writers, painters, wathever. It was the country that embrassed everyone, France encouraged freedom of expression, all its forms, cinema, in arts. And now it's complety gone. I said this two years ago but it's still current today in this crazy time, that makes me think about the Nazi Germany. The level of intolerance is scary, but it's not just in France but in the whole Europe. Antisemitism, this whole aryan rengaine. This way of becoming, behaving and reacting in a climate of extreme fear... It's scary."

Second question : "Will we see you with Stromae during your tour in France?"

M : "I'd love to work with him. I'm not sure we'll be able to work together but I'll be in France this Summer, we'll see that!".

I knew that's what she meant when she said, "It starts to sound like something else. It starts to sound like something scary." at the Olympia show.

Oh, and the proper spelling is embraced. Sorry, but I had to make that correction.

Madonna denounces rise of far right in Europe

February 27, 2015 - 4:06 AM

Associated Press

7933eb7e97374ce1b1af88fcb5a963a5.jpg

Madonna performs at the Brit Awards 2015 at the 02 Arena in London, Wednesday, Feb. 25, 2015. (Photo by Joel Ryan/Invision/AP)

PARIS (AP) — Madonna is lamenting a rise in anti-Semitism and far right politics in France and Europe, re-igniting the anger of France's increasingly popular National Front party.

The singer said on France's Europe-1 radio Friday that "the level of intolerance is really scary" and described the National Front as "fascist."

At a 2012 Paris concert, Madonna showed a video including an image of National Front leader Marine Le Pen with a swastika on her forehead.

The party filed a lawsuit that was later dismissed. National Front lawyer Wallerand de Saint-Just says the party could revive legal action against Madonna when she next performs in France this summer.

Party founder Jean-Marie Le Pen has been repeatedly convicted of racism and anti-Semitism, but his daughter Marine has tried to distance herself from that.

I don't think it's wrong and i live in Paris. If you read about nazi Germany and how it all began, you'll see how xenophobia and antisemitism in particular were key to the rise of the nazis who were elected. Today there's the same level of hatred for muslims as there was for jews back then, not one week passes without a magazine or 2 have a cover about the islamic threat and how they have "invaded us". People are voting for Marine Le Pen because they don't want "these people" here even though most of them are french people but with a different religion than christian. We had thousands of assholes marching on our streets against gay rights, they had an open mic on every media, all day long, you just can't imagine ho awul it was to turn your tv on and have these morons being given so much space to spread their hatred. the best sellings books here are about how we are invaded, xenophobic polemists write. It's non stop on tv here, all the time. People have no qualms anymore telling racist things or homophobic things. When Switzerland passes a law against workers who commute from France to Switzerland and so many polls show that people agree with xenophobic laws then yes, we are exactly where Nazi Germany was before nazis invaded other countries. Further proof ? Putin invasion of Ukraine just like Hitler invaded Austria.

I don't think it's wrong and i live in Paris. If you read about nazi Germany and how it all began, you'll see how xenophobia and antisemitism in particular were key to the rise of the nazis who were elected. Today there's the same level of hatred for muslims as there was for jews back then

there's the same hatred for Jews too, especially from the Muslim community itself and please don't say it isn't true. If you live in Paris you should know better.

I totally agree with her but i wouldn't go as far as saying it's like Nazi Germany

Drawing a comparison is not saying things are the same. I'm sure Madonna understands that France today isn't particularly like Nazi Germany, but rather the rising intolerance brings Nazi Germany to mind.

France has a deep, complex relationship with antisemitism. A recent actually showed anti-Jewish sentiment in the rise in Europehttp://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/02/26/389250366/pew-study-on-religion-finds-increased-harassment-of-jews. Europe as whole is dealing with Islamophobia. It's a very complex time

It's like the rise of nazi Germany. Of course anti semitism is also at an all time high, i have best friends who are jews and dare not wearing their kippah for friday shabat, jewish school have armed guards outside AND inside the courtyard where children play. But it's not only muslims who are antisemitic....antisemitism has always been a thing in France, we sent people to extermination camps when nazis did not even ask for it. You can see antisemitic french posters from the 20's & 30's, it's really disturbing. You don't realise how much antisemitism was an accepted thing (even THE thing to be) in Europe in the 20's, 30's and 40's....jews were treated the same way we treat roms today, like rodents and thieves. Islamophobia on the other hand is spread by the media, not antisemitism, that's the only difference between the two and the biggest problem because since it's on TV, papers and in politicians speech it's as if islamophobia is institutionalized and it's provocation for people who are just regular muslims. It's like there's a conscious will at work to put every minority against the other while the real culprits for the catastrophic economic situation from which all this xenophobia and hatred breeds are safe and getting richer.

When i read this i can't help but being afraid too

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/german-jews-advised-against-wearing-kippah-a-1020890.html