Death & Taxes: Madonna Was Better Than Michael Jackson

Those Madonna vs Michael comparisons are just as stupid as all the other Madonna vs pop princess xy comparisons! Why just can't some people accept that both were equally as succesful, equally as acclaimed, equally as popular and equally as revolutionary icons? Both were undisposable and both changed pop music, live shows, music videos, fashion etc. forever. That's what's important! You can not take their body of work and compare them one by one though, nor can you do that with their careers (why does that even matter?). This is just silly!

Well, the popular wisdom is that MJ was better and more talented. This is a reply to that. And I agree with it wholeheartedly.

MJ: some great catchy pop songs.

As for the rest, everything has been said above already: repetitive (music, dance moves, videos), nostalgia act, lack of artistic development, Gaga-esque victim playing and humourless self-praise, generating Elephant Man rumors, hyperbaric chamber etc and then complaining about these self-planted stories, posing as a Nobel peace prize worthy humanitarian while giving a relative pittance to charity compared to the hundreds of millions in cash and loans spent to finance his own lavish lifestyle and fantasy projects by shady businessmen. Yes, he personally entertained sick children at Neverland, which was very nice of him and he did donate money just like a lot of wealthy people do. But a Great Humanitarian of historic proportions? Utter nonsense. Insisting that MTV start calling him The King of Pop and that MTV name their Video Vanguard Award after him because some award for M made him look bad, not only accepting but actually campaigning for and valuing the receipt of an endless row of meaningless Artist of the Millennium awards.

Record sales: good luck trying to find honest figures for total albums SOLD, not shipped. His tally is probably closer to M's total than his (corporate) beneficiaries would like to admit.

There seemed to be more than enough legitimate reasons for his weaknesses, apparently stemming from a deeply scarred personality, damaged by - among others - childhood stardom, abusive father (physically, mentally), diseases like vitiligo, lupus, plastic surgery gone wrong, being surrounded by sycophants, easy prey for shady schemers...

He made a big impact on society. Probably the first black man to attain such wide popularity and receive such full-scale corporate backing with the release of the Quincy Jones produced Thriller album. That impact and popularity is undeniable and irreversible, epitomizing pop culture in the early 1980's. He was among the first to be granted the use of large budget music videos, mostly focused on special effects and celebrity cameos.

But the corporately manufactured and funded Personality Cult claiming that this talented singer and dancer was somehow the greatest entertainer who ever lived, is boring hyperbole drilled into the gullible masses by sheer ad-fuelled empty repetition.

i never liked the washed up child molester tbh. Wade Robson came out and finally revealed that MJ was a monster. its a shame that MJ got away with it....

I love the passion :rotfl:

I agree to an extent. Micheal's drama can be hard to look past. His music/ image post-1982, I just cant...

& since this isn't the pro-Micheal thread (like the one in the Music Section that I avoid out of respect for Chelle) let's be serious;

If the two had a dance battle, who do you feel would win? I think what MJ had in spontaneity, Madonna has in endurance/ stamina.

Madonna's Grammy 06 Hologram should face off against Jacko's 2014 Billboard Awards hologram. :fag:

& since this isn't the pro-Micheal thread (like the one in the Music Section that I avoid out of respect for Chelle) let's be serious;

If the two had a dance battle, who do you feel would win? I think what MJ had in spontaneity, Madonna has in endurance/ stamina.

Madonna's Grammy 06 Hologram should face off against Jacko's 2014 Billboard Awards hologram. :fag:

That's a no brainier... Madonna

Who had the cuter pet, Michaels Bubbles or Madonnas chiuaua from human nature clip?

I prefer Madonnna's dance style. It's more classical/less crowd pleasing and it's just more to my taste.

I am shocked at the delusion in here from people who are downplaying MJ's artistry and achievements.

MJ was one of the greatest artists that ever lived and his contributions to the music industry are legendary. I was one of the few here who saw him on the Bad and Dangerous tours and he was magnificent. You just had to be there to know what I am talking about. None of those YT video's does his performances any justice.

People say that he didn't evolve but I would disagree when it comes down to his music.

As a dancer, the fact that he could regurgitate past dance moves/performances and still attract that level of media/fan frenzy for years just shows how powerful he was. Saying that, past documentaries show that he was a master at learning new dance routines quicker than anybody else so I do question why he didn't take that leap of faith and changed the way he performed his songs...even if his fans were horrified at the thought of it. (as he once said in a documentary).

Despite what some might consider "lack of artistic development", I really do think his music highlighted artistic growth with each album release. "Off The Wall", "Thriller", "Bad", "Dangerous"....and even "HIStory" all sound different to previous albums. Yes, there are some deja vu moments - especially in songs like "Heal The World/Earth song"... but as he was such a huge philanthropist, it was obvious he would weave "World change" topics into his music quite regularly.

I'm not even going to address his personal life because I like to keep that seperate from the artist.

...and to those saying "Madonna is a better dancer than MJ"?

Please; I love Madonna to bits but let's not be silly here. Can't we just appreciate both artists instead of pitting them against each other for once? It's been done to death since the 80's and beyond boring at this point.

Of course MJ's not a humanitarian. Spending hundreds of millions of dollars on charity, having your own worldwide charity organisation (Heal The World Foundation), travelling to hundreds of children's hospitals in all corners of the world and saving lifes of dying children whose parent's can't afford medical treatments etc. - that's nothing, isn't it?

ThiefOfHearts, while it's great you make the effort to defend MJ's achievements and point people out for the inaccurate things they say, I don't think it will really change anything. Unfortunately, many M fans seem to be highly ignorant about Michael and unwilling to change their opinion no matter what facts you show them - which is quite shocking considering how M herself has to fight against so much ignorance and prejudice by now.

Guys, don't worry that others don't share your passion for Michael Jackson. The important thing is that you love him. In the movie thread at the moment, some people are saying they love Marion Cotillard, others can't stand her. I think she is a wonderful beautiful actress but it does not bother me one bit if others can't stand her. Just take it the same way and love and enjoy Michael yourself. You have your wonderful memories and admiration for him and stay true to that. Everyone has different tastes and likes and you don't have to be swayed by other people's opinions or be concerned about them.

If people were trashing him on a Michael Jackson forum, then you would have every reason to be angry but don't worry about what people say about him on a Madonna forum.

Jazzy, your post is lovely and true, but it's not about people not enjoying MJ's work - that's absolutely fine. It's about people making inaccurate and ignorant statements. Which unfortunately is a huge problem when it comes to MJ.

Jazzy, your post is lovely and true, but it's not about people not enjoying MJ's work - that's absolutely fine. It's about people making inaccurate and ignorant statements. Which unfortunately is a huge problem when it comes to MJ.

I couldn't agree more.

Yes, I understand how that would be annoying. I feel the same way when people say garbage untrue things about Madonna. You just have to tune out in the end though. I don't even read the comments sections in online articles anymore, saves a lot of frustration.

Of course MJ's not a humanitarian. Spending hundreds of millions of dollars on charity, having your own worldwide charity organisation (Heal The World Foundation)

ThiefOfHearts, while it's great you make the effort to defend MJ's achievements and point people out for the inaccurate things they say, I don't think it will really change anything. Unfortunately, many M fans seem to be highly ignorant about Michael and unwilling to change their opinion no matter what facts you show them - which is quite shocking considering how M herself has to fight against so much ignorance and prejudice by now.

"Hundreds of millions of dollars on charity". Do you have any receipts or credible sources to back up these "Facts"? I guess his foundation has public records of the funds that were disbursed? I thought audit reports found that the hundreds of millions of dollars of debt he had accumulated by the end of his life were spent to finance his own lavish lifestyle and on fantasy projects by shady businessmen that never materialized - not on charity.

He undeniably did a lot of good in the world, both through entertainment and charity. What I dislike about him is the *humorless* hyperbole and exaggeration. I feel the same when people claim that M, the Freedom Fighter is saving entire countries etc etc.

"Hundreds of millions of dollars on charity". Do you have any receipts or credible sources to back up these "Facts"? I guess his foundation has public records of the funds that were disbursed? I thought audit reports found that the hundreds of millions of dollars of debt he had accumulated by the end of his life were spent to finance his own lavish lifestyle and on fantasy projects by shady businessmen that never materialized - not on charity.

He undeniably did a lot of good in the world, both through entertainment and charity. What I dislike about him is the *humorless* hyperbole and exaggeration. I feel the same when people claim that M, the Freedom Fighter is saving entire countries etc etc.

Yes his over-the-top lifestyle put him in debt and he surely spent lots of money on it, but that doesn't mean the amounts of money he spent on charities were sparse. As an example, he's listed as the popstar who supported the highest number of charities (I think it was 39), and while I don't know the exact amounts of money he donated in total, here's a nice accurate list on his charity works and donations:

http://de.scribd.com/doc/14283749/Michael-Jackson-s-Humanitarian-Efforts-1979-200

That surely is lots of money if all put together! And it still misses his donations in his last 6 years!