The Madonna brand

Apples388

360 deal yada yada.. however.. can I just point out that I'm sure most of you have noticed that all of her branded products are actually references to her work (rather than cheesy crap like "Curious" or whatever.) Do you like this? Or do you feel that it somewhat cheapens or lessens the impact of her artistic repertoire? Or perhaps all these references will be good in immortalising her legacy or introducing new people to her work? "Oh I didn't know that the Madonna gym I go to is named after one of her [flop] albums, let me go and download it off iTunes" :manson:

Material Girl (clothes)

Hard Candy (gyms)

Truth or Dare (perfume)

MDNA (skin) [this is to be confirmed]

And obviously on another note the Ray of Light Foundation is her charitable foundation.

:bad::wow:

I think your post would be more interesting if you asked us about our thoughts on what the Madonna brand actually IS or MEANS.

Go on then! Tell me.

Hmmm....what defines the Madonna brand? I can only explain in key words...

Love

Sex

Passion

Beauty

Style

Strength

Power

Energy/Vigour

Fluidity

Controversy

Reinvention

Transformation

Drama

Classic

History

Youth

Italian

American

Transnational

Femininity/Femaleness

Dance

Music

Film

I'm sure others can provide better definitions or connotations of the Madonna brand... ;)

Excellent topic for discussion.

I was just reading the thread about the Hard Candy fitness gym in Toronto opening and I couldn't help but think, "Why oh why are her non-musical commercial ventures named after her more creative output?" Personally, I do not like it. I do not like being reminded of a gym chain when I listen to an album that I thought was pretty decent.

However, from a purely business perspective, it does make sense. Madonna is already associated with these names (Hard Candy, Material Girl, Truth or Dare) so you don't really need to educate the public or create brand-awareness to remind people that she is associated with this perfume, or that gym, or this clothing line. Therein lies the essence of using her name as a brand and creating a tie between her musical catalog (which is hugely iconic) and her side projects.

I do think that it would be more interesting though if they'd created entirely new names or identities for these products. At least she's not attaching her name to a bucket of hot wings at KFC. The "Burning Up For Your Love" BBQ Bucket, only $5.99!

360 deal yada yada.. however.. can I just point out that I'm sure most of you have noticed that all of her branded products are actually references to her work (rather than cheesy crap like "Curious" or whatever.) Do you like this? Or do you feel that it somewhat cheapens or lessens the impact of her artistic repertoire? Or perhaps all these references will be good in immortalising her legacy or introducing new people to her work? "Oh I didn't know that the Madonna gym I go to is named after one of her [flop] albums, let me go and download it off iTunes" :manson:

Very well-spotted Suede, yes she's very smart

But I don't think HC was a flop album, she was 50 when she released it and it still was the 15th best-selling record of the year

:)

However, from a purely business perspective, it does make sense. Madonna is already associated with these names (Hard Candy, Material Girl, Truth or Dare) so you don't really need to educate the public or create brand-awareness to remind people that she is associated with this perfume, or that gym, or this clothing line. Therein lies the essence of using her name as a brand and creating a tie between her musical catalog (which is hugely iconic) and her side projects.

This :clap:

What about her condoms? :lol:

6949792_Madonna-Condoms.jpg

I don't believe this is really officially something she endorsed, but since they used her name and image, she must be getting paid for it.

As for the original question, I think it's fine she uses names of her songs/movies/album titles for her brand products. It's easier associated since everyone knows many of these names such as "Material Girl" which is probable the tag name most associated to Madonna the most. I'm a bit surprised she actually used that name because she was quite apprehensive about the song as her career went on, and hated performing it.

Truth or Dare was a perfect name for her perfume. I'm surprised it wasn't taken before her.

I think it's a very savvy decision to brand her products using names from her songs, films and albums. It's great cross marketing and very smart and i like that it isn't random like other celebrity endorsements.

I don't mind. In fact, I kinda like it. I always imagined her naming a perfume off a scent. Especially during the COADf times when the rumor of doing a perfume was very strong. "Forbidden Love" or "Future Lovers" would have been neat titles.

I don't mind. In fact, I kinda like it. I always imagined her naming a perfume off a scent. Especially during the COADf times when the rumor of doing a perfume was very strong. "Forbidden Love" or "Future Lovers" would have been neat titles.

I hope Future Lovers smells citrus-y.

Umm Madonna has been lending songs and stuff since Pepsi.

A girl has to pay the rent as she says.

Madonna has never had a purist vision of music.

Umm Madonna has been lending songs and stuff since Pepsi.

A girl has to pay the rent as she says.

Madonna has never had a purist vision of music.

She has always merged art and commerce, we know that. Pepsi did not create a new formula and call it "Pepsi Prayer". I think that is the point of this thread.

I do think that it would be more interesting though if they'd created entirely new names or identities for these products. At least she's not attaching her name to a bucket of hot wings at KFC. The "Burning Up For Your Love" BBQ Bucket, only $5.99!

KFC is Mimi's demographic. New "Honey" BBQ wings! "You can have them when you want them!"